October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

First Live Concert

More
11 Jan 2016 12:40 #219617 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic First Live Concert
First live show was ACDC when I was about 15. My mum was helping out with a charity for homeless kids and the band gave the charity a bunch of tickets, but weirdly the homeless kids didn't want them (there were plenty left over) so me and a friend were pretty much all by ourselves in our section of the crowd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 13:22 #219623 by Camshaft
Replied by Camshaft on topic First Live Concert
Saw Nirvana on their In Utero tour in December 1993. The Melvins and the Breeders opened. Didn't care for the Melvins, but enjoyed the Breeders.

Really low-key concert with few attending. Production was also bare-bones and the venue woefully empty. I remember the Melvins had an upside-down cross and Nirvana had the In Utero statue. My best friend at the time spent the show making out with his girlfriend, so I hung out with his kid brother who had tagged along.

My biggest memory otherwise is when Krist Novaselic jumped off the stage into the crowd. When he got back to the stage, he went on this profanity-laden tirade about how he saw someone groping girls in the audience and had jumped in to stop them. Interestingly enough, they still played Rape Me later in their set.

Cobain seemed high and only halfway there. Kept breaking guitar strings.

Always had a Nirvana connection after that. When Cobain died, I watched MTV for hours after I heard and the station played Nirvana videos non-stop. For years afterward every time I saw more than one video in a row from a group that I liked, it half-convinced me that some musician from that band had died too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
11 Jan 2016 14:28 - 11 Jan 2016 14:29 #219647 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic First Live Concert
My first live show of note was a big one at the United Center (where the Chicago Bulls play) run by one of the local radio stations. It was a snapshot of the early 00's. I want to say December 2001.

Pete Yorn, Alien Ant Farm, Sum 41, 311, Bush

In that order, I think. There may have been another band that was even more forgettable.* Bush may have come before 311, and we arrived after Pete Yorn was done. I remember that the kid from Sum 41 flipped off the crowd. I liked 311 all right but Bush was the only band that I really liked. I thought they were good live.

I smelled weed long before the concert, because my 6-years-older brother hung out with the skaters when I was 8.

*Haha, I just looked it up . Blink 182, Crystal Method, and Puddle of Mudd also played.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 14:29 by Jexik.

More
11 Jan 2016 14:31 #219649 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic First Live Concert
First show I ever went to was the MTV Headbanger's Ball Tour. It was in 1989, Atlanta Civic Center. My mom and dad dropped me and my friend David Green off. We thought we were so bad ass, I wore a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off and a Nuclear Assault back patch on it. I didn't have long hair, I had a gelled-up spiky thing going. Total teenage metal dork.

On the bill- Anthrax, Helloween and Exodus. So of course it was awesome. They were touring on "State of Euphoria", "Keeper of the Seven Keys part II" and "Fabulous Disaster", respectively. I remember being really kind of scared but it was that excited, exhilarated kind of fear. I remember at the end, Helloween and Exodus came running back out on stage and pelted Anthrax with tennis balls and shaving cream. It was that kind of goofy, late 80s thrash thing. Of course I got the T-shirt, I was upset that they didn't have the Judge Death shirt so I settled for the one that had the illustration of the band done up in MAD Magazine style by Mort Drucker.

Second show was Living Color. Third was Nuclear Assault, Savatage and Testament. I think fourth was Queensryche and Suicidal Tendencies. Beyond that, it's all pretty hazy.

I do recall NOT going to see Nirvana like literally the week before "Nevermind" came out. They played a really small venue, I didn't go because I had a test the next day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evilgit, Malygris

More
11 Jan 2016 15:19 #219658 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic First Live Concert
I have such a different musical pedigree from everyone else who visits these forums

More
11 Jan 2016 15:35 #219662 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic First Live Concert
My first show - July 6, 1993. Stone Temple Pilots opening for the Butthole Surfers at the Armory in Salem, Or. We went to see STP. But the Butthole Surfers had a way better set and totally tore the roof off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 16:30 #219678 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic First Live Concert

metalface13 wrote: I have such a different musical pedigree from everyone else who visits these forums

Hip hop terrifies most board gamers. Perhaps if your background was 80s showtunes and Rush or no-longer-cool grunge rock you would fit in better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
11 Jan 2016 16:40 #219680 by allismom3
Replied by allismom3 on topic First Live Concert
Van Halen- Syracuse Carrier Dome. It was the Diver Down tour(1983ish), I was in 8th grade. Me and a buddy went with his uncle and a few of his buddies. I was the coolest guy in school for about 15 minutes.

More
11 Jan 2016 18:06 #219690 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic First Live Concert
Mine was U2 in 1987 in Iowa City on the Joshua Tree tour. I actually wasn't anything like a big U2 fan at that point (and never would really become one), but a friend had an extra ticket, and we drove what was then probably about five and a half hours to get to Iowa City from our northwest Iowa hometown. (There are faster ways to go these days.) I'm a little hazy on the time line, but I told school I was going for a college visit--which I did do, though I decided not to go to Iowa as an undergraduate. What I do distinctly remember is (1) being drug along by my friend's friend from our nosebleed seats to the main floor near the front of the stage, being afraid I'd get separated, and fearing I'd tumble down the steep Carver-Hawkeye Arena stairs and (2) traveling back home (another 5.5-hour-or-so drive) after the concert to make it to school the next day (and being afraid that my friend would blow it all by wearing a concert T-shirt to class). How were they? Probably pretty good.

More
11 Jan 2016 19:51 - 11 Jan 2016 19:52 #219701 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic First Live Concert
I saw Alice Cooper on his Contrictor tour in '84. General admission and got up to the front row. Very memorable.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 19:52 by the_jake_1973.

More
11 Jan 2016 20:21 - 11 Jan 2016 20:35 #219704 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic First Live Concert
1992 at the Warfield (SF). I went to the Sugar concert, primarily to see Throwing Muses open for them. I remember crowd surfing for the first and only time. It felt... weird.

The other live concert I remember from that era was 1993, when I went to Cow Palace to see the Breeders open for Nirvana. I think Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy were one of the openers as well (California Uber Alles era) and L7 (hated them).

I went to both of these with a "friend" who was into the Pixies and other 4AD bands at the time. I put "friend" in quotes because I had a huge crush on her in that weird almost supra-romantic way when you meet someone who you know is intimidatingly smarter and more world-wise than you are and you hope to just be cooler by osmosis. I never was cooler by osmosis.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 20:35 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
11 Jan 2016 20:34 #219707 by evilgit
Replied by evilgit on topic First Live Concert
1986 Monsters of Rock tour with Scorpions, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, MSG and Warlock. In Nuremberg, Germany in a giant stadium that Hitler had built for his epic rallies. I was 14 and got my parents to drop off me and my two dirtbag friends. We weren't in the venue five minutes before I got drenched by an airborne Jack n Coke.
We got right up front for the opening bands because we could. Took a break to get stoned in the back by the first aid station while Bon Jovi played. We had never heard of them at the time and made fun of their wuss-rock music while we watched the paramedics carry in some giant German bikers that had gotten into a pretty bad fight apparently.

Scorpions, Ozzy and Def Leppard were all amazing. I remember Ozzy screaming at the crowd "Get Fucking Crazy Out There!" and I was really hoping the crowd didn't take him literally....

More
11 Jan 2016 21:26 #219714 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic First Live Concert
...schweig?

How did Godwin's Law come into effect in a thread about rock concerts??

More
11 Jan 2016 22:06 #219721 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic First Live Concert
Tears for Fears at Park City. I took Jodie Anderson from the fast food place. I was 18, and a social moron, and she was sixteen. She got to see the show and I got to hold her hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jan 2016 22:27 - 11 Jan 2016 22:28 #219725 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic First Live Concert
Well, I think we have a winner. I was about to offer to trade Craniac's first concert memory with mine, but then I remembered i went with my dad.

I'm holding onto that one.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 22:28 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds