October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

F:ATtie Favorite Fives - Records

More
03 Jun 2016 14:31 #228576 by Colorcrayons
1) Pink Floyd: Animals
This album is brilliant. Existential and real. Listening to it growing up, knowing the lyrics were going to be my voyage was depressing, but I took strength in the knowledge as well.

2) Malevolent Creation: Ten Commandments
Rock solid death metal. A fun jaunt into the tourism of decadence that is the fall of western culture.

3) Andy McKee: Dreamcatcher
I can't think of a better acoustic guitarist.

4) Tones on Tail: Everything
A great collection of their finest works. A seminal experience for those who wish to explore goth and industrial before they had a name. Recommended if you are a fan of Bauhaus or Love and Rockets. This is the band that made them possible.

5) Rush: 2112
An acquired taste for sure. But they really knew how to write good songs on an epic scale. It still holds up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2016 20:51 #228602 by Hadik
Abbey Road - The Beatles (is side 2 not the best album side of all time?)
Harvest - Neil Young
Blue - Joanie Mitchell
Strangeways, Here We Come - The Smiths
Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

More
10 Jun 2016 13:47 #228818 by Egg Shen
Alright, after five years I've come up with an answer for this thread.

Failure: Fantastic Planet - This was the last record from the short lived 90s grunge/alt rock group and they went out on top. Just tons of awesome songs that are great to sing along to while driving with the windows down. It also scores bonus points for for having a title and artwork.

The Cure: Disintegration - This is probably the best "rainy day" record out there. Once those windchims fade out and the fucking tidal wave of 80s synth washes over you, the experience takes hold. I almost didn't put this on here, because I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it, but after all these years I've never grown tired of it. I will say that the movie Ant Man has sort of ruined the impact of the opening synth salvo for me. Now when I hear it, I think of that movie and sort of giggle. Oh well.

Weezer: Blue Album - Pinkerton is unquestionably the better record, but I hold this one a bit more near and dear to my heart. It's pretty much perfection from start to finish. It's also one of those records that every few months/years I declare a new song my favorite....which has probably happened with every song on the damn thing at this point.

Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 - I love these guys and this ambitious record is probably their masterpiece. Yes, they're nerdy as fuck, but I don't care. I love the harmonized guitars that emulate Thin Lizzy, Claudio Sanchez's high voice that reminds folks of Rush or Sunny Day Real Estate, and their power pop sensibilities. This record mixes all sorts of genres together and you really don't know what to expect from song to song. And if you're real nerdy there is a sci-fi story being told that you can try and decipher.

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here - There were a few Floyd albums that I could have put here, but I think this one is truly my favorite. Each song has a completely unique feel and love the opening/closing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". This one is just about perfect.

Ask me again in 5 days and this list will probably be different...but it's what I came up with today.

More
11 Jun 2016 17:44 #228846 by Josh Look

Egg Shen wrote: Alright, after five years I've come up with an answer for this thread.

Failure: Fantastic Planet - This was the last record from the short lived 90s grunge/alt rock group and they went out on top. Just tons of awesome songs that are great to sing along to while driving with the windows down. It also scores bonus points for for having a title and artwork.

The Cure: Disintegration - This is probably the best "rainy day" record out there. Once those windchims fade out and the fucking tidal wave of 80s synth washes over you, the experience takes hold. I almost didn't put this on here, because I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it, but after all these years I've never grown tired of it. I will say that the movie Ant Man has sort of ruined the impact of the opening synth salvo for me. Now when I hear it, I think of that movie and sort of giggle. Oh well.

Weezer: Blue Album - Pinkerton is unquestionably the better record, but I hold this one a bit more near and dear to my heart. It's pretty much perfection from start to finish. It's also one of those records that every few months/years I declare a new song my favorite....which has probably happened with every song on the damn thing at this point.

Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 - I love these guys and this ambitious record is probably their masterpiece. Yes, they're nerdy as fuck, but I don't care. I love the harmonized guitars that emulate Thin Lizzy, Claudio Sanchez's high voice that reminds folks of Rush or Sunny Day Real Estate, and their power pop sensibilities. This record mixes all sorts of genres together and you really don't know what to expect from song to song. And if you're real nerdy there is a sci-fi story being told that you can try and decipher.

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here - There were a few Floyd albums that I could have put here, but I think this one is truly my favorite. Each song has a completely unique feel and love the opening/closing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". This one is just about perfect.

Ask me again in 5 days and this list will probably be different...but it's what I came up with today.

Failure put out a new record last year. It's pretty damned good. I also love Fantastic Planet.

Wish You Were Here was the first album I bought with my own hard earned money. Still my favorite Floyd album.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds