October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bob Marley - RIP

More
11 May 2011 14:34 - 11 May 2011 14:45 #96138 by Mr. White
Bob Marley - RIP was created by Mr. White
30 years ago today.
By far one of the all-time greats.
Here's a few of my favorites.

Last edit: 11 May 2011 14:45 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2011 14:44 #96139 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
Bob Marley died? Fuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joebelanger

More
11 May 2011 16:32 #96146 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
Good grief, his old ska/rocksteady stuff is SO MUCH BETTER than his later records. Those early records were phenomenal.

I'm not much of a Bob Marley fan. I kind of resent him in a weird way because there's so much great reggae that doesn't get played because Bob Marley _is_ reggae to almost everyone. I like Junior Murvin, Gregory Issacs, Steel Pulse, and Linval Thompson all more than anything from "Exodus".

It doesn't help that I almost by default associate Bob Marley with pot smoking college kids laid up in dorm rooms, wearing open-toed sandals.

I was complaining about Bob Marley the other day and how he's become music for lazy, white American hippies and my wife, who lived in Jamaica for a year, said "that's all the reggae they listen to there too".
The following user(s) said Thank You: joebelanger

More
11 May 2011 16:45 #96147 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
This is what I associate with reggae:

Reggae at its finest

Is this not accurate?

More
11 May 2011 17:11 #96152 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
So much of Gregory Issacs' catalog is, at best, "Motown Reggae"--generic "luv ya gurl" crap. Marley was, much to his chagrin, a huge political figure in Jamaica and his music certainly does reflect it in a number of ways--but his rocksteady stuff is junk compared to say, Desmond Dekker.

More
11 May 2011 17:36 #96157 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP

Michael Barnes wrote: Good grief, his old ska/rocksteady stuff is SO MUCH BETTER than his later records. Those early records were phenomenal.

That's because that era of Jamaican music is so much better than anything and everything that came afterwards. Every record that Coxsone Dodd put out back then was gold. Bob Marley had some great roots rock jams no doubt, but the Burning Spear makes pretty much any other roots act look foolish in comparison.

It doesn't help that I almost by default associate Bob Marley with pot smoking college kids laid up in dorm rooms, wearing open-toed sandals

There's a hilarious scene in this flick called Kicking and Screaming where a recent college grad finds himself at a party in a tiny freshman dorm room with a shit ton of kids screaming the 'o-yo-yo, Oh-yo-yo-yo' bit from Buffalo Soldiers. This is all I see when I hear Bob Marley.

More
11 May 2011 17:43 #96159 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
That's pretty much reactionary bullshit, Michael.

"I hate his fans so much that the music must be bad!"

The early rocksteady stuff was nothing special for the time. The Wailers reggae catalog is just fucking incredible, regardless of how many copies of "Legend" are cluttering up dorm CD racks.

"Catch A Fire" is one of the great reggae albums of all time, and the live tapes that exist from that era are positively electric. Heady stuff going down at the time, even if it was completely adopted by the bong patrol later.

More
11 May 2011 18:08 #96164 by jay718
Catch a Fire is an amazing record.

More
11 May 2011 18:10 #96166 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP

Michael Barnes wrote: It doesn't help that I almost by default associate Bob Marley with pot smoking college kids laid up in dorm rooms, wearing open-toed sandals.

HA! "One Love" was our first dance at our wedding. I was wearng white ballet flats with criss-cross laces, but there certainly were a fair number of guests wearing open-toed sandals and smoking in the bushes.

More
11 May 2011 18:14 #96168 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
Paul, Bob Marley's fans are pretty much the entire human race. I don't hate everybody.

I genuinely don't care for Bob Marley's later music. I love the early stuff, because like Jay said that's the best period of Jamaican music and it was pretty much much in line with other music that was happening at the time...that stuff was incredible, Desmond Dekker in particular. I'd say he's the best musician to ever come out of the place.

More
11 May 2011 18:34 #96170 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP

Michael Barnes wrote: Paul, Bob Marley's fans are pretty much the entire human race. I don't hate everybody.

Well you can understand my confusion some days, I'm sure.

No doubt that the Wailers were a top-notch vocal group. I just don't think they really hit their stride until they started playing reggae instead of Jamaican doo-wop. I also think there were better acts doing that gig.

The later Wailers records were probably overproduced (both in the studio and at the presses!), but that band in 1972-73-74 is the best reggae act that's ever going to be.

Also, Desmond Dekker is wonderful, but nobody's yet mentioned Toots and the Maytals? Criminal, I tell you.

More
11 May 2011 19:41 #96175 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
I like pretty much anything on any of those Trojan box sets better than Bob Marley. I do like that live version of No Woman No Cry on that greatest hits record. Burning Spear or any of the Toots & the Maytails stuff and working on the scooter is a perfect summer afternoon.

More
11 May 2011 20:25 #96180 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP

jay718 wrote: ...but the Burning Spear makes pretty much any other roots act look foolish in comparison.

First couple of Burning Spear records are among my faves. He's usually great live, too, which is really not the case with a great many acts. Speaking of live, Toots & the Maytals taught me a little something about vocal power [and, by extension, probably something about amplification, too]. Regardless of genre, most vocalists stick that microphone damn near down their throats when they sing. Toots, on the other hand, rarely lifted the thing past his belt buckle--the picture definition of "belting out a tune." A real high energy good time show.

More
11 May 2011 23:00 #96183 by jay718
Burning Spear put on one of the greatest live shows of any musical genre. I never miss them. I've seen them probably a dozen times and the only show that was mildly disapointing was last summer in Baterry Park City, and that was because of the crowds and the cops. Burning Spear was my sons first two concerts, although he was only about 3 weeks old for the first one.

You've gotta be careful with those Trojan boxes, some of them are real crap. The Christmas one for instance. They've got a couple Bob Marley boxes as well, one of which is just BM&W covers. A few you can't go wrong with: Skinhead Reggae, both ska boxes, and the Rocksteady box. The Soulful reggae box is just awesome, and both dub boxes are pretty great if you like dub. Their Upsetter box is a pretty great cross section of Lee Scratch Perry's music as well.

The Toots show you were at didn't happen to be at the Bayou in Georgetown did it Dogmatix?

More
11 May 2011 23:12 #96185 by jay718
Forgot the Rudeboy box. That ones the shit as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds