October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bob Marley - RIP

More
12 May 2011 05:34 #96197 by mikko_r
Replied by mikko_r on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
I can't say I love reggae, it's a on/off thing for me. I can go on a year without playing any reggae records, but then something will remind me why I love some records and I'll go on spree.

Never cared that much for Bob Marley though. Desmond Dekker already was mentioned, I'll list other favourites.

Congos - Heart of the Congos
The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile
Barrington Levy - several 45s

Actually 45s are usually the best in reggae. There's a shotload of great tunes by groups you've never heard of, who never released LP or whose LPs are just collections.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2011 08:36 - 12 May 2011 09:46 #96199 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP
Wow, finally a musical conversation I can relate to.

I'm with Barnes on this. I actually prefer roots-era music to rock steady, but I agree that Marley's earliest work is generally his best. African Herbsman, Kaya, Small Axe, Duppy Conqueror and Mister Brown (a clown who rides through town in a coffin). Classic stuff. I'm also resentful that he's so effectively if unintentionally buried lots of other great reggae. Steel Pulse, Ijahman, Desmond Dekker, Toots & The Maytals, Mighty Diamonds and Third World are some of my favourites.

But Burning Spear rules them all. I read somewhere that his original cut of "Marcus Garvey" actually got trashed by the producer, seeking to create a more chart-friendly sound. If that's true then it must have been unbelievably awesome. It's a stunning record as it is.

I had the good fortune to see Burning Spear and Desmond Dekker live. The latter was a particular treat as he put on a great live show, running around the stage like a madcap loon.

I'm also quite a fan of modern dancehall cuts. It's really stripped down stuff, often little more than a thumping bassline and some vocals but it crackles with life, energy and excitement. Elephant Man and Lady Saw are particular favourites.
Last edit: 12 May 2011 09:46 by Matt Thrower.

More
12 May 2011 12:48 #96204 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Re: Bob Marley - RIP

mikko_r wrote: Actually 45s are usually the best in reggae. There's a shotload of great tunes by groups you've never heard of, who never released LP or whose LPs are just collections.

That's why the Trojan boxes are so great. Those 45's would cost thousands if you could even find them. Trojan boxes on vinyl are almost as scarce as some of those 45's now though.

Those are three heavyweight albums you listed man. I saw The Congos at S.O.B.'s a few years back; great show. I don't know why peole sleep on them. That albums every bit as classic as most of BM&W's catalog. I've somehow managed to miss the Abyssinians every time they've come around. Their harmonies are sick. Satta Massagana's in my top 10 roots albums. East of the Nile is a great record, but gimme King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown. The title track is easily one of the best dubs of all time.

I was lucky enough to catch Desmond Dekker as well. He was wearing this weird military outfit with tons of medals. He played to a sold out room of skinheads dressed to the nines and just killed it. So much energy. One of my favorite gigs.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds