October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Neil Gaiman's 'Murder Mysteries' short story (SPOILERS)

More
06 Dec 2011 11:24 - 06 Dec 2011 11:25 #109406 by wice
I'm currently reading Smokes and Mirrors, and this story blew me away. It immediately replaced 'A Study in Emerald' as my favorite Neil Gaiman short story.

Here's the thing: I think I more-or-less understand the hidden layers of the story, but I have unanswered questions, and would like to discuss them. If any of you haven't read it yet, I would recommend you to close this topic NOW, then go and read the story, and try to figure it out. It's really worth it, so don't spoil it to yourselves.

OK, now that we have some privacy, here's my understanding of Murder Mysteries in spoilervision (click on the spoiler warning to see it):
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 06 Dec 2011 11:25 by wice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2011 15:22 #109424 by Shellhead
I've read both the short story and the wonderful comic book version drawn by P. Craig Russell, and I took the story more at face value. I think the random guy is a random guy, and homeless guy is R and not L. The comment "I never fell" could be interpreted as L disputing his reputation, but I took it to mean that R was proud that he never fell and voluntarily left Heaven due to disillusionment with God. I also think that Neil Gaiman really hates to get a BJ when he's in the mood for some intercourse.

More
07 Dec 2011 11:30 #109497 by wice
After reading the graphic novel, it became clear that the homeless guy is R, not L. He really looks like R, only older. (BTW, I was a bit disappointed by the depiction of angels, their faces are characteristically male. I would prefer them to look a bit more androgynous.)

On the other hand, K's daugther definitely looks similar to L, so I think they were killed because of it. I'm not sure about the protagonist, though. Maybe he became the new Vengeance of God, after R left, or maybe God now uses random psychos to do his work.

Also, I find it strange, that K says "I love you", to which the protagonist says "Thank you". I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

Anyway, the ambiguity makes this story awesome, it forces you to think about it again and again. Maybe it's better not to know all the answers.

More
07 Dec 2011 15:18 #109506 by Shellhead

wice wrote: After reading the graphic novel, it became clear that the homeless guy is R, not L. He really looks like R, only older. (BTW, I was a bit disappointed by the depiction of angels, their faces are characteristically male. I would prefer them to look a bit more androgynous.)

On the other hand, K's daugther definitely looks similar to L, so I think they were killed because of it. I'm not sure about the protagonist, though. Maybe he became the new Vengeance of God, after R left, or maybe God now uses random psychos to do his work.

Also, I find it strange, that K says "I love you", to which the protagonist says "Thank you". I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

Anyway, the ambiguity makes this story awesome, it forces you to think about it again and again. Maybe it's better not to know all the answers.

When someone says "I love you" and you reply "thank you," it makes for a wonderfully awkward moment, when you both realize that the feeling isn't mutual. It was a running gag during one episode of the first season of The O.C.

Yeah, ambiguity can be great in a story, leaving things open to interpretation and making the story a personal thing for each reader. However, too much ambiguity can ruin a story for me. At a basic level, a story is a series of related events, and a good story will leave the reader anxious to know what happens next. A ending that is so ambiguous that I don't even have a clue what happened at the end is useless to me... the writer might as well have just stopped writing in the middle of a random sentence. (I'm looking at you, Gene Wolfe.) All that said, I thought Murder Mystery was excellent and the amount of ambiguity was just right. I don't blindly love everything that Gaiman has written, but this was one of my favorites.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds