October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Loving this X-Men Reboot

More
29 Jun 2012 00:09 - 29 Jun 2012 00:10 #129582 by jeb
Loving this X-Men Reboot was created by jeb
LOVE THIS. The art is nice and all, but check out the backstory concept on his Tumblr . This is awesome stuff!

File Attachment:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 00:10 by jeb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2012 01:29 #129585 by QPCloudy
The art is nice? Cyborg looks like Superfly and Cyclops looks like Weeks! lol

More
29 Jun 2012 03:22 #129588 by username
I thought this was super silly at first, but then after some reading I was kinda, hey why not, seems cool.

also, been drinking.

More
29 Jun 2012 14:53 #129606 by wadenels
I could get behind this... The art is decent, but the ideas are better. He outlines in the beginning what he's trying to avoid and what he thinks is corny, but this reboot would take some pretty talented writing to not be just as corny.

My first thought about the art was "Saturday Morning X-Men Cartoon", which isn't necessarily bad.

More
29 Jun 2012 15:19 #129608 by Erik Twice
Honest question, has any comic series reboot ever worked well?

More
29 Jun 2012 16:06 #129612 by MattFantastic
That was awesome.

More
29 Jun 2012 16:14 #129613 by Million Dollar Mimring
The Ultimate Universe, which is still in print, sort of failed at what it wanted to accomplish. I think Marvel's goal was to only sell the Ultimate Universe in big box retail stores and create a different audience than the ones at comic shops. Regardless, the Ultimate line is still in print.

They recently killed Ultimate Peter Parker and replaced him with a character called Miles Morales. I've read a few of the new issues and its not terrible. It's definitely on par with the modern Marvel universe, faint praise to be sure.

As to other reboots that worked out well, I'd like to think that Moore's run on Swamp Thing was an excellent reboot. Grant Morrison's Animal Man is also a very cool reboot. A lot of early Vertigo stuff used existing characters in new ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
29 Jun 2012 17:18 #129621 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Loving this X-Men Reboot

Erik Twice wrote: Honest question, has any comic series reboot ever worked well?

I'm a fan of the Starman reboot from the late 90s. It is definitely in my top ten series of all time. It is in the same vein as the Vertigo series that Million Dollar Mimring mentions. Also in that list would be Sandman Mystery Theater and to some degree Sandman. I also enjoyed the Conan reboot that Dark Horse did. I stopped reading and sold my issues, but it had a good run for at least 50 issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
29 Jun 2012 18:41 #129630 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there's lots of comics reboots that have done not only well, but sometimes have outdone their predecessors. Reboots are one of the main features of the modern comics age, stuff gets rebooted all the time...there's even distinctions between "soft" reboots where it may be something like what they did with Iron Man where the continuity is preserved but there's easier jump-on points and some light retelling and hard reboots like Ultimate Spider-Man where the entire storyline starts from scratch. Then there's crazy, company-wide reboots like the New 52 thing at DC.

So to answer, there have been many comic series that have rebooted well. And every now and then, something like Moore's Swamp Thing blows the original out of the water.

As for Jeb's link, it's cute stuff. I like Logan in suspenders and I'm glad to see that Colossus isn't ignored since he's a long-time favorite that doesn't make the team much anymore. Also, hooray for mohawk Storm.

More
29 Jun 2012 19:18 #129636 by Million Dollar Mimring
I'd be remiss not to mention the Milligan and Allred reboot of X-Force (later changed to X-Statix). The stories felt fresh, a lot fresher than the Grim'n'Gritty X-Force.

While reboots can obviously work, I would prefer to see original material from new and interesting writers. Get out of the Marvel sandbox and create your own world. A world unrestricted by continuity nerds getting upset about changes to their favorite character. Rebooting the X-Men feels...needless. What worked for other reboots is that most people didn't know the character. If people knew about the character, a large majority didn't care about the character. DC took dead properties and gave them over to new and interesting writers. Those early writers were given a sense of freedom that someone writing X-Men would never have. You have to be a writer with a lot of clout or be given a character that doesn't sell to do anything original in the modern Marvel/DC universe.

As a résumé, which is what it sort of feels like, the work provides some interesting ideas. It feels unique while covering familiar ground. I'd be interested to see what he does with some low tier character.

Sorry bout the 'hatin'.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds