October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Judge Dredd gay........ WTF

More
26 Jan 2013 16:16 #142483 by ThirstyMan
Well, unleash the hounds. Guess what I found?

>>
He is the futuristic policeman whose personal desires have always come second to his love for the law. But the writers of Judge Dredd have caused a stir among fans by appearing to suggest he will come out as gay.

The latest edition of the comic 2000 AD is titled Closet and deals with the issue of a teenager coming out.

The first page appears to show the legendary lawman in a passionate clinch with another man in a gay club, with the caption: "I guess, somehow, I'd always known I was gay. I was just too scared to admit it."

The image prompted an extreme reaction from fans of the comic, with some praising the writers for tacking a sensitive topic – and others threatening to burn copies.

However, the subject of Dredd's sexuality looks set to remain a mystery after it emerged that the man in the image was not, in fact, the comic book hero. A spokesman revealed that the figure is simply a man dressed like Dredd at a Judge-Dredd-themed gay club.

The writer Rob Williams sought to keep fans guessing as he said Dredd "may well be gay, straight or bi" but that was secondary to his passion for the law.

"Although, can you imagine what would happen if that repression ever fell away, just for an instant? Sure, Dredd could be gay," Williams said.

"You can't look at the original costume design of leather and chains and not see a fetishistic edge there. But Dredd's feelings are so deeply hidden, he is extremely unlikely to ever let them show."

The comic strip, illustrated by CLiNT magazine's Mike Dowling, will be available on Wednesday.

Steve Marchant, a tutor at the London-based Cartoon Museum, described the suggestion of Dredd being gay as a "major first".

But, he added, Dredd would not be the first superhero whose sexuality was the subject of speculation: the 1940s character Green Lantern "used to fight crime in a red blouse", he said.

"It's certainly the first time such an iconic character has been suggested as coming out and I think it's a bold, brave move and will give gay kids a good role model." >>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2013 16:38 #142484 by Mr. White

ThirstyMan wrote: >>
"It's certainly the first time such an iconic character has been suggested as coming out and I think it's a bold, brave move and will give gay kids a good role model." >>

Ha! Dredd is a good read, but I'd hardly consider him a good role-model....gay, straight, or whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
26 Jan 2013 17:04 #142485 by Black Barney
This explains why he never flirted with or checked out that hot partner of his in the latest movie.

More
26 Jan 2013 21:24 - 27 Jan 2013 16:46 #142499 by OldHippy
Funny enough his sexuality was never important to me. The character seemed completely asexual. I figure that even if they explore it for awhile it still won't be important to me. I don't really read Dredd for those reasons.

Midnighter and Apollo are gay and the writers of Authority have explored it a decent amount. It's not exactly new in the super hero world but I'm sure it's nice for young gay boys to have such a sexy man to beat off over. Lord knows it's mostly just fantasies about Sue Storm and Kitty Pride.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2013 16:46 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
26 Jan 2013 22:14 - 26 Jan 2013 22:19 #142502 by Mr. White

JonJacob wrote: Funny enough his sexuality was never important to me. The character seemed completely asexual. I figure that even if they explore it for awhile it still won't be important to me. I don't really read Dread for those reasons.

I totally agree. In fact knowing, or caring, what his orientation is is to assign too much humanity to him. I prefer him to be the cold machine.

I don't really care what the orientation of real people are, so it's hard to get excited one way or another over imaginary people. The only thing I don't care for is when they do stuff like this to shock or raise interest in a character. I mean, stuff like "You can't look at the original costume design of leather and chains and not see a fetishistic edge there." Really? It's not like that outfit is unique and Dredd selected it as his personal garb. It's assigned to all the judges.

Anyway, make a character whatever you want, but trying to reveal something, whatever it is (orientation, clone, etc) some years later, particularly when it has nothing to do with the character (like Dredd) just smells a little bit desperate. Remember, Northstar didn't come out until Alpha Flight was on it's death bed.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2013 22:19 by Mr. White.

More
27 Jan 2013 02:37 #142510 by repoman
How very cutting edge. Only been over 20 years or more since Northstar.

I love how they feel it's a big first. Didn't DC do this with Alternate world Green Lantern last year?

Frankly, who gives a fuck?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, jeb, DeletedUser, Josh Look

More
27 Jan 2013 07:04 #142516 by tscook

repoman wrote: How very cutting edge. Only been over 20 years or more since Northstar.

I love how they feel it's a big first. Didn't DC do this with Alternate world Green Lantern last year?

If you're a straight white cismale you're not really lacking in people like you in media so of course you don't give a fuck.

More
27 Jan 2013 11:11 #142519 by repoman

tscook wrote:

repoman wrote: How very cutting edge. Only been over 20 years or more since Northstar.

If you're a straight white cismale you're not really lacking in people like you in media so of course you don't give a fuck.

Wow, taking the award for the most bullshit crammed into a single word...Ladies and Gentlemen....and Cismales, I present to you TS Cook.

Holy shit guy, stop wasting your parent's money on "gender study" classes and take something you might put to use later like "Broom Pushing 101".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, DeletedUser, Josh Look, SuperflyPete

More
27 Jan 2013 12:10 #142520 by ThirstyMan
Why would you think UK bothers with trends in US comics? Fuck that. We do our own thang.

More
27 Jan 2013 13:22 #142522 by Hatchling

repoman wrote: Holy shit guy, stop wasting your parent's money on "gender study" classes and take something you might put to use later like "Broom Pushing 101".

Oh I see, so now we're supposed to make fun of broom pushing. I knew you were an anti-curling bastard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juniper, Rliyen, jeb, OldHippy, wadenels

More
27 Jan 2013 13:42 #142523 by SuperflyPete

tscook wrote: If you're a straight white cismale you're not really lacking in people like you in media so of course you don't give a fuck.

Like there's not a bazillion gays in the media now? Seriously? You must be a Fox News 24/7 kind of guy if you believe that Hollywood and other media is somehow holding gay people back. Shit, gays have been on Springer alone for years and years, let alone having gaysmin sitcoms since the 70's. So please, get real. Just because a gay person isn't the star of every show ever doesn't mean that gays a being oppressed on tv. That's some entitlement-minded shit to think so. Especially when gays are like 1% of the population but seem to have a major or recurring character on every show on TV these days. Talk about not getting a seat at the fucking table, eh. I'm totally in favor of gay marriage not only for equality's sake, but also just so they'll shut the fuck up about it and stop acting like being gay is such a big fucking todo. Fuck whoever you want, but please, for the love of Adam, shut the fuck up about it.

I was watching a Kathy Griffin comedy special a few nights ago where she described an App galled "Grinder" that allows gay guys to hook up on short notice, put a picture up (provided the photo has no semen, no sex toys) so they can put in whatever they want to do or have done to them. We're talking the most truly casual and meaningless of sex. So she says she types up a fake profile and then posts that she wants a light bulb jammed up her ass, just for fun. She said she had to laugh when people came out of the woodwork to volunteer. Wonder if Dredd rides his deathcycle over to give handjobs in the alley?

More
27 Jan 2013 14:07 #142524 by Schweig!

ThirstyMan wrote: The image prompted an extreme reaction from fans of the comic, with some praising the writers for tacking a sensitive topic – and others threatening to burn copies.

I wonder if people get paid for providing obvious reactions.

Comic burner needs to come out of the closet himself.

More
27 Jan 2013 14:10 #142525 by Schweig!

SuperflyTNT wrote: Like there's not a bazillion gays in the media now? Seriously? You must be a Fox News 24/7 kind of guy if you believe that Hollywood and other media is somehow holding gay people back. Shit, gays have been on Springer alone for years and years, let alone having gaysmin sitcoms since the 70's. So please, get real. Just because a gay person isn't the star of every show ever doesn't mean that gays a being oppressed on tv. That's some entitlement-minded shit to think so. Especially when gays are like 1% of the population but seem to have a major or recurring character on every show on TV these days. Talk about not getting a seat at the fucking table, eh. I'm totally in favor of gay marriage not only for equality's sake, but also just so they'll shut the fuck up about it and stop acting like being gay is such a big fucking todo. Fuck whoever you want, but please, for the love of Adam, shut the fuck up about it.

I was watching a Kathy Griffin comedy special a few nights ago where she described an App galled "Grinder" that allows gay guys to hook up on short notice, put a picture up (provided the photo has no semen, no sex toys) so they can put in whatever they want to do or have done to them. We're talking the most truly casual and meaningless of sex. So she says she types up a fake profile and then posts that she wants a light bulb jammed up her ass, just for fun. She said she had to laugh when people came out of the woodwork to volunteer. Wonder if Dredd rides his deathcycle over to give handjobs in the alley?

Your impression of homosexuals appears overtly stereotypical.

You don't need to read gay superhero comics, you need to meet some normal gays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dair, Bull Nakano

More
27 Jan 2013 14:41 #142526 by Black Barney
I thought Cook's post seemed ok

More
27 Jan 2013 16:11 #142527 by SuperflyPete

Schweig! wrote: Your impression of homosexuals appears overtly stereotypical.

You don't need to read gay superhero comics, you need to meet some normal gays.

Uh, no. There's plenty of gay characters on TV which is what I was saying in response to TS' comment that there needs to be more gay exposure.

My point about Dredd was both anecdotal and a joke. But thanks for sharing.

And as for "normal gays" I was at a party last Saturday with plenty. And when I lived in CA, two girls in our cadre of partiers were lesbians and we spent every second Saturday at JR's, a huge gay nightclub. My perspective is just fine, thanks,

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds