October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

A couple comics questions

More
13 Mar 2013 17:09 #147452 by Dogmatix

Shellhead wrote: Again, my own favorite Hulk run is from an earlier period, when Peter David and Dale Keown were the creative team on Hulk. That was an unusual time, when Hulk and Banner were more fully integrated and Hulk had the intelligence of Banner. But for a new fan, it's easier to start in a more recent period. If you like science-fiction, you should start with Planet Hulk. It's a more classic style Hulk, with towering rages and lots of action, but taking place in a very alien setting. I'm about to try the Jason Aaron run, which might also prove amazing. His Vertigo series Scalped was one hell of a story, and I bet he can deliver the goods on an angry Hulk.

Couldn't put it better myself when it comes to the David/Keown Hulk run (so I'll just quote it here 3 pages later to reinforce Shell's point ;)). Far and away the best run of that title I've read. I got into the Aaron run not long ago but found myself not really into it after a few issues. Problem is, I can't tell you why that was the case. It just didn't really grab me. To be fair, though, it may be simply because I'd been away from Hulk from a long time and just kind of wandered back to the title). Dunno. Just didn't really work for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2013 17:26 #147458 by Michael Barnes
The Aaron Hulk has some good things going on, but it's not all that great in sum. It's kind of an Island of Dr. Moreau burglary. Banner is separated from Hulk and is trying to figure out how to become Hulk again. He's crazy and doing all these gamma experiments on various animals. So there's like Hulk sharks, gorillas, and boars. It's kind of cool, I guess. But the main reason I stopped with it is that Marc Silvestri's art makes me physically ill.

Superman Family Adventures was a big hit- didn't realize it was Art Baltazar, I met that dude a couple of years ago, he was doing some kind of Werewolf boy comic. I have a bunch of signed issues somewhere. River asked to read it again this morning.

Baltazar also did a Tiny Titans book, and although River loved it (he LOVES Robin) the book wasn't as good as the Superman ones. Lots of DC in-jokes that a three year old has no chance of getting, like when Deathstroke turns out to be the substitute teacher at the elementary school.

He also loved the Batman: Brave and the Bold comic...second issue was really dumb though, some nonsense about the Thinker posting up in an online game called Craft of War...har har.

More
13 Mar 2013 17:45 #147462 by dragonstout

Michael Barnes wrote: Baltazar also did a Tiny Titans book, and although River loved it (he LOVES Robin) the book wasn't as good as the Superman ones. Lots of DC in-jokes that a three year old has no chance of getting, like when Deathstroke turns out to be the substitute teacher at the elementary school.

Glad the SFA was a hit! He does the DC in-joke thing in SFA too, which seems like an error to me, but it's mostly not that obtrusive; he also uses a bunch of elements of the Superman mythos with zero explanation (General Zod, the Phantom Zone, the bottle city of Kandor, references to Superman's New 52 costume change), but I don't think my kid cares too much, as I think it's ALL so weird and mysterious to him that he doesn't notice that some of it is, say, weird and mysterious to his mom as well.

The guy at my fave comic store just handed me the current Metallo issue for free. Jesse treated it like the holy bible, so I ended up picking up all 8 other issues. The comic shop guy asked me if I wanted bags and boards for them; HA! If he only knew what they currently look like...

I love that in the SFA-verse, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen pretty much just figured out that Clark Kent is Superman because duh. I think there's only three more issues left, it got cancelled.

I also love that a large percentage of the issues end up with a new member of the Superman family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
13 Mar 2013 17:49 #147463 by Shellhead

Dogmatix wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Again, my own favorite Hulk run is from an earlier period, when Peter David and Dale Keown were the creative team on Hulk. That was an unusual time, when Hulk and Banner were more fully integrated and Hulk had the intelligence of Banner. But for a new fan, it's easier to start in a more recent period. If you like science-fiction, you should start with Planet Hulk. It's a more classic style Hulk, with towering rages and lots of action, but taking place in a very alien setting. I'm about to try the Jason Aaron run, which might also prove amazing. His Vertigo series Scalped was one hell of a story, and I bet he can deliver the goods on an angry Hulk.

Couldn't put it better myself when it comes to the David/Keown Hulk run (so I'll just quote it here 3 pages later to reinforce Shell's point ;)). Far and away the best run of that title I've read. I got into the Aaron run not long ago but found myself not really into it after a few issues. Problem is, I can't tell you why that was the case. It just didn't really grab me. To be fair, though, it may be simply because I'd been away from Hulk from a long time and just kind of wandered back to the title). Dunno. Just didn't really work for me.

I just tried the first story arc of the Aaron run on Hulk last night, just after reading the 8th volume of his excellent Scalped series. I didn't like his Hulk. Too dark and too bitter. There were some interesting ideas, but something has gone horribly wrong when the most likable character in a Hulk comic is Doctor Doom.

More
13 Mar 2013 18:59 #147477 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: A couple comics questions
Anybody read the Bruce Jones Hulk? I remember getting the trades and enjoying them at the time. I can't say they have stuck with me, so I don't necessarily recommend them. I am curious to hear what others think, as they might be worth putting on my stack to re-read.

More
13 Mar 2013 19:05 #147480 by Shellhead

Dair wrote: Anybody read the Bruce Jones Hulk? I remember getting the trades and enjoying them at the time. I can't say they have stuck with me, so I don't necessarily recommend them. I am curious to hear what others think, as they might be worth putting on my stack to re-read.

I hated that Jones run. Possibly because of his name, Bruce Jones was way too interested in Bruce Banner and had little time for the Hulk. Also, the decompressed intrigue eventually drove away most of the fans, the same way it played out with the X-Files tv show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds