October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Free Comic Book Day

More
03 May 2013 06:32 #151371 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Saturday May 4 is Free Comic Book Day:
www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/992

Pop down to your local participating comic store and grab some free stuff. Even better, go and get free stuff and give it to your kids/nephew/niece/etc (or drag them down there), as the whole purpose of the day is to introduce more people to comics and comic book stores.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2013 12:33 #151383 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Free Comic Book Day
Even even better, grab some free stuff and also buy some stuff. The comics aren't free to the retailers.

Here are a couple of guides to what's out there:

www.postmodernbarney.com/2013/05/free-comic-book-day-2013/

www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/05/01/1...book-day-cheat-sheet
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
03 May 2013 15:22 #151391 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Free Comic Book Day
I love Free Comic Book Day! Most of the comics are crap, but the experience is fun and sometimes you discover something new and good. Some stores give away stuff from the previous year or those introductory $1 comics as well.

If you're in the SF Bay area I highly recommend Flying Colors Comics in Concord, the inventors of Free Comic Book Day!

If you're in the Austin area, my preference is Austin Books and Comics, they do a really good job on FCBD!

More
03 May 2013 17:05 #151398 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Free Comic Book Day
My son STILL asks me to reread FCBD comics from last year (and earlier, actually)!

More
03 May 2013 17:50 #151404 by metalface13
I'm excited to take my son for his first FCBD! He's only 14 months old, but get a tradition started while they're young. Last year I was swamped with final portfolio projects in grad school so we didn't get to go, but it was OK as he was like 2 months at the time.

More
03 May 2013 20:52 #151416 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Free Comic Book Day
I now live just a few blocks away from the best comic book/game shop in the state. And yet I only go there once every few months. Comics are so expensive, and I've been worried about my job for a while, so I just check out trade paperbacks and hardcovers from the library. That's my free comic book day.

A year ago, I went to the official Free Comic Book Day at that comic shop. Half the employees still know me by name despite my infrequent appearances. I declined the usual stack of FCBD freebies because none of them interested me, so the guy handing out the comics reached to another stack, which was just random older comics that they were also giving away for the heck of it. Even though I never did a pull list, he kind of knew my taste in comics, and gave me a random issue of Sandman Mystery Theatre. I was touched by the gesture, but here it is one year later and I haven't even read it yet. But I'm going to force myself to go tomorrow, not for the free comics, but in hopes of running into old friends and acquaintances.

More
03 May 2013 20:56 #151417 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Whoever hosts the Free Comic Book Day my family goes to always profits out of us, merely because it always falls just before my birthday so my wife uses it as an excuse to pick up a birthday present for me. Last year we got back from the store and I remember looking up from my comic and seeing my wife and 2 kids engrossed in comics and thinking "Does life get better than this?".

The problem I have is that 90% of the stuff for adults is ordinary, but the 10% that is decent always seems to have strings attached (eg issue 0, series proper starting in 4 months time and I will have forgotten about it then).

More
04 May 2013 10:10 - 04 May 2013 10:12 #151438 by Ancient_of_MuMu
They had an artist's area at my Free Comic Book day. My daughter requested a drawing of The Smurfs battling Captain America. Dreams do come true some days:

Attachment IMG_0205.JPG not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2013 10:12 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
04 May 2013 20:19 #151445 by Michael Barnes
The books are really just advertisements, but so what, it's fun and I can definitely get behind the spirit of raising comic book/comic shop awareness. I think I still have that Batman 10 Cent Adventure book they gave out on the first FCBD.

My shop had give out of the adult stuff before we could get there, but they still had kid packs so River and Scarlett hit the jackpot. River was stoked to get the Batman/Teen Titans thing and "Amazin' Turtles" (what he calls TMNT), Scarlett's been carrying around the Sesame Street/Strawberry Shortcake split all day.

And of the first time in my entire life, an Archie book has wound up in my house.

Yay comics.

More
05 May 2013 02:08 #151456 by metalface13
It's definitely a fun experience even if the comics are mostly not so great. My comic store often gives away those intro #1 issues that they normally $1 as well. Link really wanted to walk around but he would have just pulled all the comics off the shelves. He'll have more fun next year. The comic store also has a giant, life-sized Hulk statue inside. I took him over to take his picture with it, but he got freaked up by it and got even more scared when I started tapping on it to show him it wasn't real.

More
05 May 2013 02:48 #151459 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Free Comic Book Day
I went. It was crowded. Several registers running, with lines of a dozen customers at each one. It made me glad to see that comic books are still alive and well. But I just wasn't in the mood for some reason. Instead, I was looking around for either the Spartacus expansion or Room 25. The expansion is still on the boat and Room 25 sold out and hasn't been restocked yet. So I kept wandering around the store, hoping to run into an old friend or two, or maybe see something I would buy. Nothing. Didn't even bother going for the free comics they were handing out. Maybe I've been terribly spoiled by the great selection of comics at the public library.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds