October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

comics for ~8 yo kids?

More
25 Oct 2014 14:03 - 25 Oct 2014 14:04 #189298 by Hatchling
Hey FA:AT, I'm looking for a birthday gift for my niece who is turning 8. I'd like to get her something that might spark her interest in reading more (I hear that she's a bit of a reluctant reader), so I'm thinking about comics/graphic novels. But I know nothing about that stuff. Any ideas? A bit about her: she wears black, likes tattoos (temp kind obvi), Batman (she's seen Dark Knight etc) and superheroes and doesn't like the film Frozen or anything princessy. Yes, she is as awesome as she sounds.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2014 14:04 by Hatchling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2014 14:30 #189299 by Cranberries
I asked a question on Metafilter about this years ago...

Ha ha! It was a decade ago. My goodness, that freaks me out. My seven year old is now almost eighteen. I've been online too. Much.

ask.metafilter.com/10244/Comic-books-for-a-sevenyearold

More
25 Oct 2014 16:50 #189303 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: comics for ~8 yo kids?
Mouse Guard. Not text intensive. Beautiful artwork. A bit scary. A bit violent. All awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
25 Oct 2014 16:52 #189304 by Brewmiester
I don't think these would be too intense for an 8 yo

Leave it to Chance

www.amazon.com/Leave-It-To-Chance-Vol/dp/1582402531

Great Paul Smith art and a pretty good story.

From Publishers Weekly

"Like the Nancy Drew mysteries that inspired it, Robinson's newest work is a paean to the resourcefulness and spirit of a curious tomboyish type who's addicted to adventure. Chance Falconer is a 14-year-old only child born into a family of municipal sorcerers that has protected the city of Devil's Echo for centuries. Chance can't wait to start training in the family business, but her father decides he doesn't want a girl joining the family's dangerous profession. Predictably, it's not long before she stumbles onto a dead body and a kidnapping in progress, and soon enough she's got a full-fledged mystery on her hands. Devil's Echo is the kind of town where the mayor has to worry about evil spells and goblins in the sewers in addition to urban blight. Chance and her pint-sized flying dragon sidekick discover a plot to influence the mayoral election in Devil's Echo, but by the end of this rip-snorting supernatural adventure, she's uncovered an even bigger scheme to destroy both the town and her father. This is a girl power comic written with a younger audience in mind. The smartest cops are female, the violence is G-rated and the story is fast-paced, brightly colored and as wholesome as it gets. Published in an oversized hardcover edition that aims at recapturing the charm of comics adventure classics such as Tintin, the book's dynamic illustrations and its multicultural cast of characters make it an ideal storybook."

More
26 Oct 2014 11:39 #189324 by metalface13
Mouse Guard
Bone
Battling Boy

More
26 Oct 2014 12:46 #189325 by Josh Look
Batman '66 is really, really great and doesn't really require much knowledge of the old show. Just good, clean Batman and Robin fun. The hardcover is pretty inexpensive on Amazon and it really is a gorgeous book.

It's not currently available in a graphic novel format, but the Batman Adventures comics that were based off The Animated Series has some really wonderful stuff in them. The only part of it that's still in print now is "Mad Love," which is one of the best Batman stories ever, but I'd steer clear of it. There's just enough adult stuff in there for it not be totally okay.

I'll second Mouse Guard, too.

More
26 Oct 2014 12:51 #189326 by Helljin
Replied by Helljin on topic Re: comics for ~8 yo kids?
Good suggestions above you could add Amulet there are also Warriors graphic novels based on the book series, Legend of Zelda series based on the videos games.

The new Ms Marvel series is getting good reviews, she's a teen age girl now. I don't know,if that has been collected into a TPB yet.

More
26 Oct 2014 17:35 #189337 by Cambyses
Replied by Cambyses on topic Re: comics for ~8 yo kids?
Definitely definitely Jeff Smith's Bone.

More
26 Oct 2014 19:51 #189342 by Ancient_of_MuMu
The comics my 8 year old daughter likes are Baby Mouse, Captain Underpants, Owly, Johnny Boo and really loves Dragonball (the original as Goku is a little kid in it, not Dragonball Z where he is a teenager, but it does contain some risque material so some parents may not approve (eg an old master who will only help if a girls flashes her underpants)).

More
26 Oct 2014 23:34 #189350 by SuperflyPete
I'm going with Groo and The Tick.

That seems like when I was reading them. Well, I was also reading Ralph Snart, which I blame for my years of illicit substance use. :)

More
27 Oct 2014 04:41 #189357 by Brewmiester

metalface13 wrote: Mouse Guard
Bone
Battling Boy

There's a new one set in the Battling Boy universe that might also fit the bill

The rise of Aurora West

More
28 Oct 2014 20:11 #189483 by Hatchling
Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome.

More
28 Oct 2014 23:11 #189491 by Stan Leer
My 8 year old (girl) really likes the Amulet series. She also could put down Bone. I'd go with either. Bone is "complete" though in that it is finished and available in Omnibus or trade formats.

More
16 Feb 2015 04:50 #197745 by Eleanor_Root
Replied by Eleanor_Root on topic comics for ~8 yo kids?
Just discovered this thread. I would like to add to the list: My 8-year old (now almost a teenager!) used to adore - Jeff Smith's BONE (the incredible comic book saga of the unwitting hero who must save an idyllic valley from the forces of evil); Atomic Robo (depicting the adventures of the eponymous character, a self-aware robot built by a fictional version of Nikola Tesla) and also Larry Marder's Tales of the Beanworld.

More
16 Feb 2015 09:09 #197750 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic comics for ~8 yo kids?
MAUS is nice and light

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds