October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

My Initial Journey Into Comics

More
20 Jan 2016 16:26 - 21 Jan 2016 15:26 #220355 by Egg Shen
So a while ago I asked everyone for some comicbook suggestions and you gave me some great things to check out. I've been working my way through some of that stuff. While doing so I've become a bit more aware about what I enjoy about the medium. I'm an absolute sucker for really weird oddball shit and art styles that deviate from the standard. While I've been enjoying some Superhero stuff, I find that what I'm most interested in has been non-superhero based stuff. I'm currently cranking through Alan Moore's Swamp Thing Saga and totally loving that.

So using what I've learned I've from your suggested reading I've struck out on my own a bit. I wanted to share two titles that I discovered. I mostly enjoy reading these because the artwork is very appealing to me.

First up is Marvel's new take on Weirdworld. This is apparently a fantasy mish-mash setting from the 70s that I know jack shit about. It seems like a place where anything can and will happen. There has been two issues so far and I'm really digging it. The story is OK so far, but I really love the art. Here are a few examples:

The other book that I'm sort of in love with is a 4 issue mini series called Space Riders. It's like this low brow, crazy space adventure, with some really awesome art. The main guy is a bearded space officer with an eye patch and a space ship shaped like a skulled called The Santa Muerte. I find myself re-reading this quite a bit. I'm in love with artwork.

So yeah just wanted to share. So far I'm really loving what I've discovered. Even though I'm just dipping my toes I can already tell I'm gonna love comics quite a bit.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 15:26 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, metalface13, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 17:23 #220359 by metalface13
Those both look nice! Spice Riders looks awesome.

More
20 Jan 2016 17:47 #220363 by Michael Barnes
Wow, Space Riders looks AMAZING. Like Jack Kirby on ayahuasca or something!

You should definitely look into the Jodorowsky stuff...and also Prophet. And Battling Boy. If you like this stuff, I think you would definitely get into those titles.

More
21 Jan 2016 15:26 #220426 by Egg Shen
Cool...thanks for the suggestions Barnes. I'll check em out.

I was looking in the front of the Space Riders trade and the book was dedicated to Jack Kirby. So that's pretty cool. Clearly he was a big influence on the creators.

More
21 Jan 2016 16:14 #220430 by Josh Look
Metabarons and Prophet have been the two books at the top of my "Want to Read" list for far too long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
21 Jan 2016 16:42 #220435 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, Metabarons is MINDBLOWING. It's SO freaking good. It may not be as important or influential as The Incal, but I actually prefer it. Technopriests is really good too.

More
22 Jan 2016 00:04 #220468 by Jason Lutes
Hey Egg, if you like Space Riders, you might enjoy Dungeon Quest by Joe Daly. It's totally wackadoo and I love it, personally.

Also check maybe out I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets . Fletcher Henks was doing surreal space fantasy without a trace of irony in the 1940s.

The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, OldHippy, Egg Shen

More
22 Jan 2016 15:34 - 22 Jan 2016 15:37 #220630 by Egg Shen
Those both look great. I'll add them to ever growing list! Thanks Jason.

Also, to update the first post I have delved into some super hero stuff as well. It's not all monsters, spaceship skulls and swamp things for me. I'm currently reading the following:

The Vision - Marvel has a new series that just came out. Vision goes about creating a family of um...other Visions. He is trying to live the perfect suburban life with them. He has no idea what that is or what it means, so he just tries to logically suss it out. It's obviously not working out so well for him. I'm really digging this one so far. It has this creepy detached tone that leads to some funny situations. So far it's good stuff.

The Black Knight - This about Martin Lawrence as a modern day man transported back to more primitive and ancient time. A world he doesn't understand. What a second...that's the wrong Black Knight! Fuck. This new black knight is about Dane Whitman who is a modern day man transported back to a more primitive and ancient time. Apparently this dude was in the Avengers but I don't know enough about comics to have ever encountered him before. Still I bought this on a whim and it's been enjoyable enough. Whitman has landed in Weirdworld and has carved out a little niche for himself. He has this Master Sword type thing called The Ebony Blade that is all crazy n shit...but sort of corrupts him and makes him into an asshole. So there's that. First few issues have been backstory and setting the stage for a bunch of stuff, but it's interesting enough to continue plowing forward at this point.

Howling Commandos of S.H.E.I.L.D. - Alright I lied it's still about monsters and weird shit. So this is a bunch of freaks and monsters being used by S.H.E.I.L.D. to take out the more bizarre threats on Earth. It's got this pulpy, carefree attitude that I really like. The team of monsters is just tossed together and they don't know each other or work all that great as a team. It's satisfying my love of superheroes and monsters. So I'll continue with it for now. Plus it's got dumb shit like this which I love:

Last edit: 22 Jan 2016 15:37 by Egg Shen.

More
23 Jan 2016 21:38 #220693 by Shellhead
Those pictures of Weirdworld are interesting, but can't match my nostalgia for the brief original Weirdworld run from the '70s. But if you're enjoying that art, you might also enjoy Black Science. And if superheroes aren't your bag, you should check out some of the best Vertigo comics, like Y the Last Man, Hellblazer, Scalped, and Sandman. In recent years, the best comic series that I've read was Locke and Key. In the past, I mostly enjoyed superhero fare, but the continuity tends to get too complex and then rebooted and then even messier.

More
25 Jan 2016 16:23 #220781 by Egg Shen
Yeah I've been thinking of picking up the trade that Marvel released of the original Weirdworld. I was thumbing through it the other day and it looked pretty interesting. Do you think it's worth getting?

More
25 Jan 2016 17:04 #220783 by Shellhead

Egg Shen wrote: Yeah I've been thinking of picking up the trade that Marvel released of the original Weirdworld. I was thumbing through it the other day and it looked pretty interesting. Do you think it's worth getting?

Depends on what you like most about comics. Doug Moench is one of my favorite comic book writers of that era, but I don't recall anything remarkable about the writing in Weirdworld. The memorable part about Weirdworld was the excellent artwork by Buscema and Ploog, a team that I can't remember seeing together anywhere else. The coloring and paper stock used in the magazine-sized Weirdworld stories was also top-notch, and hopefully this trade reprint captures that quality.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds