Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

T
thegiantbrain
August 11, 2022
254 0
W
WadeMonnig
August 10, 2022
523 1
O
oliverkinne
August 09, 2022
579 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 04, 2022
472 0
O
oliverkinne
August 01, 2022
776 0

Scout Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
July 29, 2022
835 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 28, 2022
548 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 27, 2022
866 1
O
oliverkinne
July 26, 2022
979 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 25, 2022
728 0

The Split - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
July 21, 2022
797 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 20, 2022
1158 1
MB
Michael Barnes
July 14, 2022
2659 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 14, 2022
732 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Jack Chick has died

More
28 Oct 2016 11:42 - 28 Oct 2016 11:43 #237118 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Jack Chick has died
I don't know if it was "This Was Your Life" or another Jack Chick pamphlet but when I was probably in first grade someone was handing out these religious pamphlets right in front of our school. I distinctly remember a page where the guy was being devoured by a great white shark and it totally freaking me out. I stuffed it into my backpack too scared to know what to do with it. I had never seen anything that graphic before. Some of the kids thought it was cool because it was so violent but somebody eventually told someone and the principal came out and shooed the guy away. As a little Mormon kid, I remember being shocked at that being someone's idea of religion, and totally didn't fit into my views. Passing that kind of graphic content out to young kids though is just effed up.

I did see the effects of that D&D paranoia though. My older brothers would have huge groups of friends over after school to play D&D, having fun and then one day it just sort of stopped. My brothers friends/their parents had gotten freaked out by the stuff their pastors and priests were saying about D&D so they all stopped playing. I was too little of course, so didn't really get a chance to play much.

This is one of those moments where I can't really feel that bad for someone passing away. The world doesn't need that kind of hate being spewed into it, even if it is ridiculous nonsense.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 11:43 by metalface13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:27 #237126 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Jack Chick has died

Michael Barnes wrote: I wouldn't put too much stock into Chick Tracts having any kind of real impact on anyone...even for evangelicals, I think some of Chick's extreme viewpoints were likely off-putting and obnoxious. The Bible itself has damaged more live and led more people to grief than a Chick Tract ever did.


I'm gonna call BS to this.

Young minds are sponges. Sponges that want to please their parents and peer groups.

The impact information has on them not only has long lasting effects, but actually forms the framework of their mind.

I've seen my peer groups tout this shit as if it were the gospel itself. Maybe they are like me now, and are apostates who despise the idea of religion and make it their business to educate in a preemptive way when ignorance raises its ugly head. Or maybe they are fundies who send their own kids to Jesus camp.

Either way, Chick has had an unhealthy influence on their lives. Because apparently, many religious institutions took his pamphlets seriously enough to pass them out themselves. Endorsement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 13:21 #237132 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Jack Chick has died
The D&D one was included in an issue of EIGHTBALL iirc. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I saw it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 17:02 #237156 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Jack Chick has died

Michael Barnes wrote: I wouldn't put too much stock into Chick Tracts having any kind of real impact on anyone...even for evangelicals, I think some of Chick's extreme viewpoints were likely off-putting and obnoxious.


Eh, people (esp. gay and Jewish people) telling me they did real harm to them, it's not really my call to say they're overreacting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 17:28 #237157 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Jack Chick has died
I grew up in the only major city in a red state (Indiana), in a nice suburb with an unusually good public school system and a decent amount of diversity. I never even heard of Jack Chick until the late '90s, long after I grew up and moved to a more liberal metro area. The only thing that ever slowed down my teenage AD&D playing even a little bit was the media coverage surrounding the disappearance and later death of James Egbert. My parents suddenly became a little interested in my D&D books, and my dad, a former catholic school jock, wanted to give it a try. He got bored during the character generation process, so I never got to DM even one encounter for him. I was a little disappointed, but I was old enough to understand his real motivation. Fortunately, he concluded that the game was harmless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 20:33 #237163 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Jack Chick has died
I grew up in American evangelical subculture, where Chick tracts were considered a great way to spread the gospel if you were too shy to go door to door, or otherwise engage people in conversation. I don't recall any discussion around the weirder parts of his theology (his virulent anti-Catholicism etc.).

I think his overall influence was relatively small. He was a tool for believers to buttress their views. He wasn't a taste-maker, legislative advocate, cultural leader, etc. Just a sad and paranoid little misanthrope with a pencil. Far worse were cretins like Falwell and Dobson. But Chick still was part of that insidious tribe, so fuck him and good riddance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 11:27 #237169 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Jack Chick has died
If you want to dig in a little further this pdf by Daniel Raeburn goes over some history and one of the artists that worked with Jack

The Imp number two: The Holy War of Jack T Chick
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 13:03 #237171 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Jack Chick has died

Michael Barnes wrote: The Bible itself has damaged more live and led more people to grief than a Chick Tract ever did.


Every person who says ridiculously stupid shit like this I immediately assume has had a piss poor world history education and sees the entirety of the world through the lens of the last 50 or so years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 13:29 #237172 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Jack Chick has died

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 13:51 #237174 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Jack Chick has died

Brewmiester wrote: If you want to dig in a little further this pdf by Daniel Raeburn goes over some history and one of the artists that worked with Jack

The Imp number two: The Holy War of Jack T Chick


This is a great article. Thanks for sharing it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 22:19 #237182 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Jack Chick has died

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: The Bible itself has damaged more live and led more people to grief than a Chick Tract ever did.


Every person who says ridiculously stupid shit like this I immediately assume has had a piss poor world history education and sees the entirety of the world through the lens of the last 50 or so years.


I don't know, I like the Bible but it's been around for over a thousand years and exists almost completely outside of the context the original books were created in... just the time period alone means that it can easily have caused more damage than Jack Chick tracts have. He has a decent point other than the fact that comparing the two is ridiculous in and of itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 23:23 - 29 Oct 2016 23:23 #237183 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Jack Chick has died

JonJacob wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: The Bible itself has damaged more live and led more people to grief than a Chick Tract ever did.


Every person who says ridiculously stupid shit like this I immediately assume has had a piss poor world history education and sees the entirety of the world through the lens of the last 50 or so years.


I don't know, I like the Bible but it's been around for over a thousand years and exists almost completely outside of the context the original books were created in... just the time period alone means that it can easily have caused more damage than Jack Chick tracts have. He has a decent point other than the fact that comparing the two is ridiculous in and of itself.


It has probably done way more good than a Jack Chick tract.

A more important question was whether it has done more good than bad.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2016 23:23 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 11:11 #237186 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Jack Chick has died
I guess you guys never heard of most of the Renaissance inventors, musicians, poets. Almost all of which were given educations by the church. And when people were dying of Black Death, the only ones to help the dying were nuns. Or the fact that the church feeds a billion people or so a year. Or the fact that the humanism movement started in the church with the Scholasticism movement.

Like I said, fuckers who have zero historical perspective are fine and dandy to shit on the church because mommy taught them touching themselves is a sin, creating a lifelong sense of self loathing (I assume) but those of us who have read these cool paper rectangles that contain this stuff some people call "knowledge" look back a scant hundred years and realize that the church held the world together for centuries and was directly responsible for the lives we have today.

Yes, pedo priests are bad. Yes, Spanish Inquisition was bad. Yes, other shit is bad. But when a reasonable, educated person puts the things the church has done right on the scale with the things it's done wrong, it takes about a millisecond for the scale to explode and scream "WHAT ARE YOU, RETARDED" in its dying breath.

This is why I don't frequent FAT anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 12:28 #237187 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Jack Chick has died

SuperflyTNT wrote: I guess you guys never heard of most of the Renaissance inventors, musicians, poets. Almost all of which were given educations by the church. And when people were dying of Black Death, the only ones to help the dying were nuns. Or the fact that the church feeds a billion people or so a year. Or the fact that the humanism movement started in the church with the Scholasticism movement.

Like I said, fuckers who have zero historical perspective are fine and dandy to shit on the church because mommy taught them touching themselves is a sin, creating a lifelong sense of self loathing (I assume) but those of us who have read these cool paper rectangles that contain this stuff some people call "knowledge" look back a scant hundred years and realize that the church held the world together for centuries and was directly responsible for the lives we have today.

Yes, pedo priests are bad. Yes, Spanish Inquisition was bad. Yes, other shit is bad. But when a reasonable, educated person puts the things the church has done right on the scale with the things it's done wrong, it takes about a millisecond for the scale to explode and scream "WHAT ARE YOU, RETARDED" in its dying breath.

This is why I don't frequent FAT anymore.



Uh, I don't really disagree with any of this. But the topic was the bad things the Bible has done based on an admittedly silly comparison. Has it done good as well... sure. The Church too for that matter and I'm generally the first to say so but I didn't want to get too deep in the muck about that kind of stuff around here. I have a lot of good things to say not just about the Church but about the development of man around religious ideals and structures and how it helped move us out of the .... ah fuck it. Like I said, it wasn't really the topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 12:37 #237188 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Jack Chick has died
I'd hate to see people leave F:AT because of the religious or political views of others. Near as I can tell this place has new atheists, regular atheists, agnostics, and a few folks with religion... like most places around the net I suppose. (we dont seem to have any religious extremists though).

Generally discussion and tone is agreeable, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds