October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What Audiobooks Are You Listening To?

More
03 Jul 2018 08:31 #276779 by repoman
Moby Dick as read by William Hootkins

Hootkins, who you may remember as Porkins from Star Wars and the Top Men guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark is a fantastic reader and helps carry the book through its more boring sections and greatly increases the drama of the action scenes. More remarkably still, he really makes Melville's humor shine.

The meeting between the Pequod and the Rachael stands out as one of the most emotional and heart wrenching passages in any audio book I've listened too.

I really enjoyed it even with that long stretch of chapters on the anatomy of the whale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2019 22:53 #290389 by repoman
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanne Clarke and narrated by Simon Preeble

About half way through but this is very very good and surprisingly funny. It gently mocks Victorian era novels, English snobbery, and Academia and almost everything else.

But also it can be very creepy and disturbing especially when dealing with the malevolence of the "Man with Thistledown Hair". Such a well done antagonist.

Simon Preeble is a great reader and really breathes life into the characters and dialog.

I'm at a part where Mr. Norrell is forced to loan Jonathan Strange some of his precious books on magic and the way he acts is SO similar to the way some boardgamers act towards their games it was uncanny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jan 2019 23:06 #290392 by Gary Sax
I got 2/3 of the way through that book and enjoyed it until suddenly I just didn't and couldn't go on. I think 400 pages is about my limit with books w/unsympathetic main characters (besides iirc Stephen) who I don't like.

More
21 Jan 2019 23:14 - 21 Jan 2019 23:15 #290397 by repoman
I don't know that I could read the physical book itself. The slow pacing and the length are daunting. The digressions and such are made much more palatable by Preebles reading. He is super. And of course, as an audio book, I'm only hearing it as I go to and from work so it comes in manageable doses.

I agree that almost all the characters are very unlikable. Lady Poole (sp?) is very sympathetic though as is Strange's wife. Strange himself, at least up to the point where I've gotten, is more affable than Norrell and more fun to be around but I suspect he is as flawed as his mentor. Just on the other side of the spectrum. I suppose I shall find out.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 23:15 by repoman.

More
21 Jan 2019 23:47 #290398 by san il defanso
I did read that book in regular paperback form, and really liked it. I was wondering how the footnotes would play in the audiobook format, it struck me as a story that pretty much had to exist in doorstopper-novel format.

As posted in the book thread, I'm listening to The Fifth Season my NK Jemisin. Early outlook is very positive, I'll update as I go.

More
22 Jan 2019 00:20 #290400 by Bernie
I am in the back half of the 56 hour Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. Really great book so far. Its book 3 and the last released of 10. So not for the faint of heart.

I think after this ends I will dive back into The Expanse, not sure which book I am on though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
22 Jan 2019 00:23 #290401 by san il defanso
I like the Stormlight books a lot. I think Sanderson does a great job of giving each individual book a beginning, middle, and end. That's a good quality in a long term series that probably won't be finished for years. It keeps them satisfying on their own merits.

More
22 Jan 2019 14:22 #290443 by Not Sure
I'm sort of baffled at how Jonathan Strange would translate into an audiobook. The footnotes in that book were completely deranged (sometimes a page was more footnote than text).

Do they just skip those, or go on a five-minute diversion, or somewhere in between?

Also, The Fifth Season is great. I remember stumping for it in regular book thread and getting resounding silence.

Three years, three books, three Hugos. Don't miss out on that series.

More
22 Jan 2019 16:32 #290457 by repoman
The footnotes are handled by the reader, when he reaches one, saying in a tone that implies an aside " Footnote 1: blah blah blah".

It's done well because I've not found it to be an issue.

More
22 Jan 2019 16:47 #290462 by Not Sure
Cool. Leaving them out would be terrible, because half the backstory is in the footnotes. There's just this huge wealth of invented world-building there.

However, they can be enormous, I found a picture of a page I remember clearly saying "WTF!":

More
24 Jan 2019 12:52 #290588 by SaMoKo
Working my way through Seveneves on audible right now. Decently paced and I’m really enjoying it. I heard the second half of the book is like a different novel, so I’ll see if it holds up throughout.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds