October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Looking for a non-boring family game that will heal us.

More
14 Jul 2016 10:16 #230142 by Black Barney
Lesbian Wiccan Camp III is one of my bookmarked clips on my browser.

Yeah, your son needs to respect his mom. Your mom needs to respect your son's privacy, property and decision-making. But the first sentence outweighs the second. His mom is paying for the phone I'm sure, so it should be her rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2016 10:32 #230146 by Columbob
A friend of mine told me that Sherlock Holmes game isn't such a great activity for couples. And it's really hard.

More
14 Jul 2016 11:15 #230149 by the_jake_1973
My wife and I take our phones when we kayak. There are great dry pouches that allow you to interface with the phone and attach it to a lanyard. No lost or damaged phones here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
14 Jul 2016 11:43 - 14 Jul 2016 11:44 #230155 by jeb

craniac wrote: His sisters are at Lesbian Wiccan camp*, so he's by himself this week.

*This is how many residents of Utah view the non-LDS Girl Scouts. We are big supporters in my family. My daughters come back from camp confident, happy, and bursting with song. So. Many. Songs.

Girl Scouts of the USA is one of the best things America has done. Seriously, it's up there with National Parks. I love everything about that organization, and I'm lyin' if I don't cop to getting about half my yearly calories in the form of Samoas or whatever they are called now.

You might just be venting here, and that's fine. But if serious about the counseling, I would bring it up with the family. Don't make it weird, just say it's something you're considering and were wondering what they all thought. Sometimes this conversation can be therapeutic in and of itself. My eldest has been going to counseling for a few years (holy shit she makes us all crazy) and it's helped a lot. We used to have real shitshow madness in the house on the daily. Now we get maybe one a month or so. It's still rough, but it was really bad for a spell there. Sometimes the kids just need a place to talk to an adult that won't rat them out.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 11:44 by jeb.

More
15 Jul 2016 01:27 - 15 Jul 2016 01:31 #230214 by Cranberries
Just hearing from people who have been through this sort of thing before, and the game recommendations, is tremendously helpful. Group hug.

My son wanted to play Star Rrealms after playing it earlier in the day with a friend, and my wife offered to play it with him while I went on a library run. I came back and they hadn't fought. So that was a small miracle.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 01:31 by Cranberries. Reason: added charming Star Realms anecdote.

More
15 Jul 2016 04:16 #230216 by LilRed
I would actually recommend Pandemic: Legacy, its a simple enough game for the family, and its coop. The fact that its legacy makes it so that you actually look forward to play the next game.

Otherwise I would go with Catan, I destroyed the game we had when I was a child, played this over a 100 times as a kid, with friend and family.

More
15 Jul 2016 06:56 #230217 by Msample

More
15 Jul 2016 10:30 #230241 by Cranberries

Msample wrote: 7 Wonders

Oh my goodness I dislike this game. "non-boring" :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, JEM

More
15 Jul 2016 11:20 #230244 by Colorcrayons
Survive escape from Atlantis

*drops mic*

More
15 Jul 2016 12:31 #230249 by jeb

Colorcrayons wrote: Survive escape from Atlantis

*drops mic*

Nothing makes for family fun like SURVIVE.
"Well if you would escape your head from your own ASSlanits maybe we could get this boat past this fucking whale over here!"
Good times.

My older kids got into CRIBBAGE. Have you played card games? HEARTS, WHIST, and all that? Get some Kem cards, a nice cribbage board, a copy of Hoyles and get some of that going. It can make the younger ones feel more mature--card games are grown-up games. Partnerships make for a nice dynamic of co-op and competition. We mix in LOVE LETTER and SUSHI GO too. SUSHI GO is like 7 WONDERS except not a fucking mess at the end, and mercifully short.

These games are good too because you can take them on your trips to Zion and Arches and all that which you should seriously be doing like what the fuck.

More
16 Jul 2016 14:25 #230297 by Cranberries

jeb wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Survive escape from Atlantis

*drops mic*

Nothing makes for family fun like SURVIVE.
"Well if you would escape your head from your own ASSlanits maybe we could get this boat past this ****ing whale over here!"
Good times.

My older kids got into CRIBBAGE. Have you played card games? HEARTS, WHIST, and all that? Get some Kem cards, a nice cribbage board, a copy of Hoyles and get some of that going. It can make the younger ones feel more mature--card games are grown-up games. Partnerships make for a nice dynamic of co-op and competition. We mix in LOVE LETTER and SUSHI GO too. SUSHI GO is like 7 WONDERS except not a ****ing mess at the end, and mercifully short.

These games are good too because you can take them on your trips to Zion and Arches and all that which you should seriously be doing like what the ****.

I tried Survive with the kids several years ago and they were all bored. Sigh. The girls like Love Letter and played it in Qatar. Sushi Go is tempting, as they love Sushi. We have been to Zions, Arches, Escalante staircase, Capitol Reef, Great Basin, Goblin Valley, Yellowstone, the High Uintas, Antelope Island, and we just bought our annual pass ($75) for the Utah state parks. We just bought a kayak and live about fifteen minutes from Utah lake, but they just shut it down due to a deadly toxic algae bloom full of cyanobacteria. Generally, a dog drinks the water and dies, and then the state comes in and tests everything.

I have to decide the order by Friday morning, because I'm part of a larger order for the free shipping.

1. Dixit expansion is something everyone but my wife will enjoy. Oldest daughter has asked for expansions.
2. You have sort of talked me out of Sherlock Holmes. Then I went to BGG and read my geekbuddy analysis and was reconverted.
3. We'll never play Robinson Crusoe and I just got Pax Pamir for my ridiculously complex game needs, and will play it today with Dan Thurot!
4. Sushi Go is tempting. Sushi Go Party is only $15.
5. The anime themed games are tempting
6. My son just payed $20 of his own money for the Savage Worlds SF sourcebook at our local shop.
7. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be the person who is a catalyst for ruining family game time
8. Seasons is very appealing.
9. Mysterium is at our FLGS but I feel that Dixit meets that need.

Family exercise is a great idea. They just shut down our lake due to a toxic algae bloom.
Family therapy is tempting. Sounds scary.

Final order: Dixit Memories, Sherlock Holmes, and we will play more of the games we own.

More
16 Jul 2016 14:32 #230298 by Colorcrayons
Bored of Survive?!? That's just... uncommon.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It is the one game I have in my aresenal that works 95% of the time as the default game for that sort of environment. I wish I could come up with a better suggestion to help you.

More
17 Jul 2016 00:45 #230307 by Cranberries

Colorcrayons wrote: Bored of Survive?!? That's just... uncommon.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It is the one game I have in my aresenal that works 95% of the time as the default game for that sort of environment. I wish I could come up with a better suggestion to help you.

This leads me to believe that I am the Cylon sabotaging game night but don't realize it.

More
18 Jul 2016 16:49 - 19 Jul 2016 13:49 #230419 by southernman
Pandemic: Legacy sounds a good call, haven't played it but heard it is pretty good.
How about trying a TV franchise game:
Sons of Anarchy by Gale Force 9, is conflict but fun stuff, rules are OK and you all get plastic Hogs
Or one of the Walking Dead games (haven't palyed any of them but they look OK).
Or Betrayal at House on the Hill when college lad is home.

Or even the classic co-op Lord of the Rings, you'll be too busy trying to stay alive to argue ... until someone has to sacrifice themself for the family.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2016 13:49 by southernman.

More
19 Jul 2016 14:47 #230491 by ubarose
The Spawn and her friends (teenagers) like Can't Stop and Codenames.

Also teenagers suck. I want to strangle mine on the regular.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds