October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Your Backup Hobby

More
27 Jan 2017 08:22 #243124 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Your Backup Hobby
It's cool to see a number of other gardeners on here. Our soil is really sandy so we had to do elevated beds. I built a 30x30 plot in an ornamental fashion. Picture a square reticle with a crosshairs marking. I did that out of cinderblock and it has been working great. The holes in the block are fantastic for carrots and herbs and the like. We have blueberry bushes, raspberry bushes, and a strawberry plot that continually threatens my stone patio.

One other hobby is that I host a Beer Olympics every year. I'll put out the invite to the group in case anyone wants to make the trip to West Michigan for the soiree'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2017 10:27 #243138 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Your Backup Hobby
Jake, are you going to the GR Beerfest in February? We usually go on Friday and then spend Saturday knocking around the breweries in town.

More
27 Jan 2017 10:37 #243140 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Your Backup Hobby

Jackwraith wrote: Jake, are you going to the GR Beerfest in February? We usually go on Friday and then spend Saturday knocking around the breweries in town.

If I can't score tickets and am in town, I may go to the Fest. I would like to knock back some local stuff on Saturday though. Keep me in mind when you are planning Saturday shenanigans. I haven't had a good brewery crawl in a while.

More
28 Jan 2017 11:23 #243196 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Your Backup Hobby
Shooting used to be, it was too expensive.
Hobby terrain modeling used to be, it was too time consuming.
Sport used to be, then I discovered sex and substances.
Reading used to be but that's too time consuming too.
Trolling the web used to be but I'm not a dick at heart and it grew tiresome.
Board games were rarely a primary hobby, to be fair, and I'm always at a loss for people to play with now.
Guitar is a relatively new hobby but as with all my other hobbies, time is a precious commodity.

If I had to have a primary hobby, it's shooting pool. I've shot pool for 15 years solid. This last month is the longest continuous period of not playing in all that time (19 days).

I guess I don't have a legit backup. Work seems to be it. I work my day job, then I remodel my house. Or someone else's. Or I build furniture or put a roof on something or build a workbench.

I guess writing was a backup hobby but I've realized that few people read what I write and I have no time so perhaps that's passed too.

Hell, I don't even drink or use anymore.

Getting old
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
28 Jan 2017 11:52 #243197 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Your Backup Hobby
Does playing guitar and writing songs and music count as a hobby when that's also part of my job? I suppose movies would be the main thing other than board games. Also pets (dog, cat, rat, chickens), dating, exercising, podcasts. Long walks on the beach (if there was a beach here).

More
28 Jan 2017 12:09 #243198 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Backup Hobby
If money was no object what would your hobbies be? I think I would take up flying. Planes, copters, gliders... would all be fun

More
28 Jan 2017 12:24 #243199 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Your Backup Hobby
If money was no object? Probably travel.

Currently I don't know that I have a backup hobby. I guess reading and exercising but in practice it's mostly parenting a toddler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Jan 2017 12:25 #243200 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Your Backup Hobby

Black Barney wrote: If money was no object what would your hobbies be? I think I would take up flying. Planes, copters, gliders... would all be fun

If I was Rockefeller rich, I'd go into the education sector. Institutions everywhere that would be open to the public to educate kids and anyone who wanted to bother. Free of charge. Seeing as how the system failed, we need privately funded education that will raise up the disenfranchised. I'd hope to put private colleges out of business, or at least make them bring their a game if they want to be considered a contender.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, wadenels

More
28 Jan 2017 20:57 #243218 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Your Backup Hobby
I think Bill Gates is doing something like this.

More
07 Feb 2017 01:26 #243584 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Your Backup Hobby
I joined a curling club and am 4 weeks into a league now. It's basically the sport version of Crokinole. On ice. WIth equal amount of drinking. So... basically... it rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
07 Feb 2017 09:14 #243594 by francisca
Replied by francisca on topic Your Backup Hobby
Boardgames are my back-up hobby, and is pretty dormant these days, unfortunately.

More
07 Feb 2017 15:17 #243618 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Backup Hobby
if ever cops need to meet drunk driving citation quotas, they just need to park outside a curling rink parking lot. Good lord is that ever the drinking sports of drinking sports.

One time I was so gone, i could barely stay on my feet let alone have the dexterity to sweep the rock/stone (I forget what they're called) while sliding on ice at an alarming speed. Anyway, my legs go up in the air and the rock/stone (i forget what they're called) is coming right at my big stupid Canadian head, i just barely lift it out of the way in time before i would have created a new red spot (house?) to aim for.

i'm glad I gave it up

More
09 Feb 2017 16:09 #243717 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Your Backup Hobby
Summertime hobby is fishing--I have several friends with boats so I can get out about once a week if I'm able to fit it in.

The last couple years I've been learning Clojure as I started tinkering with the jinteki.net codebase in the early days, to the point of eventually getting the development environment running on my Macbook, and becoming one of the core contributors (though I've tailed off quite a bit in the last couple months due to real life).

More
10 Feb 2017 18:20 #243774 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Your Backup Hobby
I just spent ten minutes reading about Clojure and ran away with my tail between my legs.

More
10 Feb 2017 21:07 #243777 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Your Backup Hobby
At first, I thought it was about cloture, and got excited about obscure senate procedure. :(

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds