- Posts: 2804
- Thank you received: 1947
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)
Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.
Your Backup Hobby
Black Barney wrote: If money was no object what would your hobbies be? I think I would take up flying. Planes, copters, gliders... would all be fun
I sure as shucks wouldn't be grading papers on my weekend, that's for sure. I would:
1. design large, weird assemblages and then pay other people to build them. Kind of like Damien Hirst or Edward Tufte [there's a book about artists who pay others to do the work]
2. fund a buttload of open source applications to solve problems that I face. Apps that don't exist
3. support effective programs among the underprivileged, primarily health initiatives, including something about guns.
4. make some movies that don't exist that I want to watch
5. Open a book/game shop whose only goal would be to break even some day
6. Travel a lot more
7. Upgrade my camera gear, which right now consists of my phone (thanks, person who walked off with my full camera bag in Oregon)
[update: someone gave me a camera body and I scraped together money for a nice 20mm lens]
Have you given any thought to what kind of movies you'd like to make? I wish I had thought of Rogue One
Anyway, i got a ton of shovelling to do. i had to bring my girl back to her mom last night and it's usually an hour each way. Took four hours last night. I couldn't see the road or the shoulder so I was using the powerlines as navigation on where to drive with my Subaru. It was like driving through a plain or something.
At the end of this year or next year, at the latest, I'm probably going to change my all-wheel-drive Forester SUV to a Camry Hybrid. I don't know how I'll handle winters anymore. I don't even shovel the snowbank at the end of my driveway, i just drive over it right now. it's fun. I feel like the Dukes of Hazzard. I'm thinking of painting a confederate flag on the front of my car.
At 1 in the morning my girlfriend looked outside and said it stopped snowing, but on the radio at 6 they said it was still falling. Fortunately there was very little to clear from my driveway this morning, maybe a couple cm.
Traffic was pretty light this morning - I guess lots of people stayed home.
We need heating asphalt/concrete of some kind for our roads. Some would scoff at the energy needed to power such a feat of engineering, but consider the gas spent to power all the big snow removal machinery (which is far from ideal looking at the state of the roads) and I don't think it would be so bad.
It's been slow but interesting. Sometimes I can see what I was going for, but the execution was a failure. Sometimes I can see the concept, but it was flawed from the beginning. Often I get angry at all the scratches and bubbles I left while developing the film. Sometimes I nailed it. But mostly I wonder why I took so many landscape and flora shots when my pictures of people are so much better.