October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Job hunting

More
22 Jun 2017 13:59 #250303 by Jackwraith
Job hunting was created by Jackwraith
So, I'm out of a job as of today. I do contract/finance work for Robert Half on a permanent basis and they've decided that they don't want me questioning every inane policy that they dream up anymore. The straw that broke the back was me pointing out practical flaws in a new vacation time policy and suggesting alternatives, so I guess I'll be giving HR a call and asking how that turns into a dismissal (I don't expect anything productive, but the entertainment value could be good.)

In truth, it's a bit of a blessing in disguise, as I kinda detest the work. I'd really rather find something that allowed me to write and/or edit and/or organize on a regular basis, but those posts are pretty few and far between. However, I figured I'd drop a note here as one of my more familiar locales and say that if anyone knows of any leads (I know politics (obvsly), I know games, I know labor organizing, I know comics, I know business development, I know films, I know environmental issues, I know municipal government functions, I know whiskey, etc.), feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2017 14:22 #250306 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Job hunting
Let me see if there are any spots on my team...it's proposals/RFP/content work, it sounds like something you would be suited for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
22 Jun 2017 14:29 #250308 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Job hunting
The last time I was unemployed, Robert Half was one of my first stops. I switched jobs throughout the '90s, and filled in the gaps every time with temp work from Accountemps and their competitors. Despite my track record with their Accountemps operation, RH made me jump through some hoops, including extensively reformatting my resume for their system. Then... nothing. I kept answering job ads, including RH ads, but nobody was interested in talking to me about anything despite my 25 years of experience, including 10 consecutive years at my previous job.

Finally, a recruiter at another RH office in the metro area took pity on me, and met with me. He never had any official RH possibilities for me, but gave me some unofficial leads in return for my own networking leads. Eventually, a third RH recruiter let me know that I fell in an awkward gap between their various ops. I was too experienced and high-level for their temp jobs, too small-company for their RH openings, and lacked the experience with ERP to fit in as a contract employee. And there may have been some age discrimination in the mix.

Have you ever considered becoming an actuary? The pay is high and the unemployment rate is nearly zero. You may need to go back to school to take a few classes and pass a certification exam or two. I don't know much else about it, but it seems like the jump from finance to actuary work would be relatively easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jackwraith

More
22 Jun 2017 16:06 #250315 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Job hunting
Xerox has a subdivision called Buck and Associates. Try them.

More
22 Jun 2017 16:07 #250316 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
22 Jun 2017 18:16 #250326 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Job hunting
By the way, my dev team at UCSC is hiring a senior, full-stack developer, and I'm having a hell of a time filling the seat. The pay isn't exactly competitive, since this is public sector work, but the culture is laid back and the work environment is quite nice (just moved into a beautiful new building once occupied by Borland back when they had aspirations of building a Google-like "campus"). Be sure to google Santa Cruz cost of living, though, and be aware that I would be your boss, which should give you pause... Not really, I'm pretty hands off, especially with senior developers since they're expected to take projects and run with them.

Also, we're moving to AWS, so put your DevOps hat on.

jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=69808

More
23 Jun 2017 10:41 #250340 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Job hunting
Sounds like an awful job Jack, better off finding something better. I wouldn't even bother calling HR, they're not going to be on your side or anything

More
23 Jun 2017 12:20 #250347 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Job hunting
www.conduent.com/hr-services

My mistake - buck CONSULTANTS

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds