October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

USD Cheque for PayPal

More
26 Jul 2017 06:35 #251659 by Matt Thrower
As some of you know, I'm currently working on a book about tabletop games. As part of this, I need to source some images. One photo I wanted to use belonged to a US academic, and he's agreed to let me reprint it for a $75 dollar fee. However, he wants paying via cheque and won't accept alternative methods.

If I get a cheque made out in $ here, it'll cost me something in the region of £20. Is there any chance one of you who lives in the states might be willing to make out and send the cheque for me, and I'll refund you via PayPal?

Also, the text of the book is almost finished and I'd love to get some feedback before I start polishing up the final draft. So if any of you might like to have a read and offer some thoughts, it'd be very much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2017 06:44 #251660 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic USD Cheque for PayPal

MattDP wrote: As some of you know, I'm currently working on a book about tabletop games. As part of this, I need to source some images. One photo I wanted to use belonged to a US academic, and he's agreed to let me reprint it for a $75 dollar fee. However, he wants paying via cheque and won't accept alternative methods.

If I get a cheque made out in $ here, it'll cost me something in the region of £20. Is there any chance one of you who lives in the states might be willing to make out and send the cheque for me, and I'll refund you via PayPal?

Also, the text of the book is almost finished and I'd love to get some feedback before I start polishing up the final draft. So if any of you might like to have a read and offer some thoughts, it'd be very much appreciated.

I can help with both if you like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Black Barney

More
26 Jul 2017 06:53 #251661 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic USD Cheque for PayPal

Sagrilarus wrote: I can help with both if you like.

Thanks - DM sent.

If anyone else wants to volunteer to look at the book, that'd still be much appreciated. Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow etc etc.

More
26 Jul 2017 08:27 #251665 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic USD Cheque for PayPal
This guy sounds like the Unabomber. There are so many electronic ways to transfer cash
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, stormseeker75

More
26 Jul 2017 08:42 #251668 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic USD Cheque for PayPal

Black Barney wrote: This guy sounds like the Unabomber. There are so many electronic ways to transfer cash

He says ...

"I think a check in US$ is still the best way to go, principally since I won't be in the States until New Year's Day, and the payment will be handled at [my institution] by someone who will want this to go as smoothly as possible."

More
26 Jul 2017 09:13 #251675 by Black Barney
ugh, "it doesn't matter where you are if we do this electronically, and your financial institution i'm sure is fine with many varieties of electronic transfer"

I buy stuff from people from several developped countries and it's only with Americans I run into this stuff sometimes. At one point I offered to ship the guy beaver pelts to barter with since I think it would be easier.

Do you want to talk about your book a bit more, or is it still too early? I might be interested in reading that too if you'd like. Maybe I'll end up being your Lady in the Water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
26 Jul 2017 16:39 - 26 Jul 2017 16:40 #251720 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic USD Cheque for PayPal
Double post
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 16:40 by Space Ghost.

More
26 Jul 2017 16:39 #251721 by Space Ghost
If it's a University, I'm not surprised they want a check. Setting up an ETF and verifying the other entity is a huge pain (probably true for a large company too). For a one time payment, easier to send a check
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
26 Jul 2017 16:56 #251725 by Black Barney
from another country?! Even if it's certified it's going to take eons to clear.

For my yankee doodle friends, I can get a US money order written up and then ship that. The annoying thing is that is costs $7-$10 to do.

If you have a bank account, I think you just walk into your bank, explain the problem and they'll probably suggest what's easiest for them (there's a fee but who cares).

I've had dozens of weird purchases over the years and never once resorted to a cheque. I just found a few solutions for the other dude and got them to make one work. I actually did Western Union last time for the first time in my life. Other than having to go to a Walmart and give them tons of identity papers, it wasn't so bad.

More
26 Jul 2017 20:02 #251728 by Space Ghost
If it's personal, then an ETF makes sense. But, if it is to an institutional account (which it sounds like since he is concerned with an assistant not messing it up), the amount of paperwork is astounding.

I am an Editor of a journal and am supposed to get a stipend from the journal 2x a year. The university asked if I could have the journal to send a check made out to the University. I said the journal really wants electronic payment (in no small part because the treasurer is in the hinterlands of Canada). It took the University 10 months to sort through the paperwork, verify the journal's account, and get approval through the beuracratic morass of University
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
26 Jul 2017 21:53 - 26 Jul 2017 22:01 #251734 by Black Barney
Yes yes, but think of all the PINBALL you could play in ten months!!
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 22:01 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
26 Jul 2017 23:17 #251737 by Space Ghost
It is a nightmare -- I would have taken beaver pelts after 6 months, really a barrier to getting things done.

As for Pinball, will my purchases still work on Xbox One -- I am thinking of trading the 360 out later this year.

More
27 Jul 2017 08:39 - 27 Jul 2017 10:20 #251741 by Black Barney
If the game has been added to the backwards compatibility list , yes.

turns out it was the FIRST game to become backwards compatible! So I think you're good.

There is a thread that I can't access from work about people transferring their purchased tables over. You might want to check this out in case there is ever a problem:
www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=770574
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 10:20 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds