October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I am sitting in darkness.

More
05 Aug 2017 23:24 #252169 by Cranberries
I replaced seven old, loose outlets today. Afterwards the main breaker would not turn on. My wife said that I don't think ahead, and that I should have been more careful. She says this every time. I blew up and told her to cut it out. Later I pulled out every single outlet and tested the breaker. Then I called our electrician. He did a bunch of stuff. Sparks flew. He told me that we should replace our breaker panel, as it is ancient and he can't easily find a new 100 amp thingy. We are going to try and have power cut to the house on Monday. We were supposed to go camping. The end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2017 00:26 #252171 by hotseatgames
That sucks. Really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
06 Aug 2017 14:35 #252178 by Sagrilarus
My stuff (Wadsworth) is no longer available as well. My box is on borrowed time, and the wiring is aluminum. I work on electrical projects very carefully.

This too shall pass. You work with what you've got.

More
06 Aug 2017 23:21 #252189 by Black Barney
Tell your wife you'll think ahead when you plan her murder
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, SuperflyPete

More
07 Aug 2017 01:31 #252192 by SuperflyPete
First of all, upgrade your service to 125A with a 125A panel. You can go to 150 before they need to run a new line.

I prefer this:
www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-12...HOM24M125C/100083159

The breakers are cheap as hell and available everywhere. Make sure to buy an extra 10, 15 and 20A single pole in case one dies on you 7 years from now.

I wish I lived near you man, I'd replace all of your outlets for you, brother,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
07 Aug 2017 01:32 #252193 by SuperflyPete

Sagrilarus wrote: My stuff (Wadsworth) is no longer available as well. My box is on borrowed time, and the wiring is aluminum. I work on electrical projects very carefully.

That Al wire is the WORST. We have it for a couple services and I have to reapply DeOx on both ends every few years.

More
07 Aug 2017 09:18 - 07 Aug 2017 09:27 #252200 by Sagrilarus

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: My stuff (Wadsworth) is no longer available as well. My box is on borrowed time, and the wiring is aluminum. I work on electrical projects very carefully.

That Al wire is the WORST. We have it for a couple services and I have to reapply DeOx on both ends every few years.

My entire neighborhood is done in it and no one seems to care. I ask and they just indicate that they've never had a problem.

The heavy circuits are copper but all of the basic outlet and switch circuits are aluminum. I redid every box in the house the day we moved in in 96 (which too frikkin' hours in a house with no air conditioning) and have only had one start to go bad, just this past summer. I inspect whenever I'm in a box and the original treatments look like new. I went with Penetrox which seems a little more durable. Aluminum is a bugger to work with because it keeps breaking off. So the long leads in your boxes keep getting shorter.

The panel is my bigger concern, because for quite a while I couldn't get parts for it. I had a spare, then needed to use it. Then new Wadsworth breakers came on the market for like, three weeks. I bought spares including the two-bers that fit in a single slot (because I'm out of slots too) so I'm covered for the moment, but they all sold out after that and I don't see more coming back onto the market. So the print run didn't match demand apparently. This has let me put off a big upgrade that the house will eventually need, one I'm hoping to put on the next owner. But that me be a ways off.

As for your wife having all the answers after the problem has already occurred . . . it's easier to be right afterwards, isn't it? Why didn't she warn you in advance? It would have saved you a lot of trouble.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2017 09:27 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Aug 2017 09:54 #252201 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic I am sitting in darkness.
Maybe you should go to Superfly's house and have 16 shots of liquor. Might help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, SuperflyPete

More
07 Aug 2017 11:20 #252205 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic I am sitting in darkness.
If it's prescribed by a doctor, it doesn't violate the Word of Wisdom, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
07 Aug 2017 11:35 #252206 by SuperflyPete

Sagrilarus wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

My entire neighborhood is done in it and no one seems to care. I ask and they just indicate that they've never had a problem.

The heavy circuits are copper but all of the basic outlet and switch circuits are aluminum.

Holy cow! That's totally backwards from the norm (in the 70's) when builders would use 14 gauge copper for the outlets and lighting and 6 gauge aluminum for the A/C, furnace, range, and refrigerator. I didn't have any problems with my Al wire until we replaced the panel and the electrician who I hired to do it didn't put DeOx gel on the breaker. It got very hot on both the AC and range, and both breakers kept popping due to heat. When I remodeled my downstairs I re-ran the dryer line in Cu because code forced me to (if you move a service you need to meet the current code, which is Cu). Real pain in the nuts. My brand new AC kept popping for the same reason - really pissed me off that the installer didn't realize he needed to add the gel.

More
07 Aug 2017 16:23 #252212 by Sagrilarus
Back to the original problem, why won't the main breaker work? Did you disengage the main breaker when you replaced the outlets?

You might have done yourself a favor, because main breakers often go bad without people knowing it. They remain in the On position for decades and often more or less get frozen in that position, at least from an electrical point of view. My Dad taught me to exercise the main breaker whenever there is a power failure just to keep it mobile.

If you cross-wired an outlet it should blow the circuit breaker before blowing the main. If you didn't wire it up correctly otherwise the outlet just wouldn't work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
07 Aug 2017 22:49 #252224 by engineer Al
Sorry to hear about the crapstorm Cranberries. Life sure is full of frustrations and aggravations. Hope it all works out for the best. As for Barney's suggestion, lets just call that "Plan B".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Aug 2017 23:45 #252230 by SuperflyPete
So....are you still sitting in darkness or did you sort it?

I was thinking what would've caused this and really one of two things are it - your Cu ground wire isn't connected well at a pigtail or you have polarity reversed on one of the outlets.

That, or a dead breaker. That's really the only two possibilities based on what you did.

More
24 Oct 2017 10:34 #256244 by Cranberries
A wire had come off one of the initial outlets I had replaced, which killed three outlets downstream. But we still had to replace the breaker box. We went camping anyway and it worked out. The weird thing is that my father-in-law was with us camping, but I have no memory of him being at the house when all of this went down. It must have been an alternate timeline.

More
24 Oct 2017 10:45 #256245 by Michael Barnes
Quick! Check your Berenstein Bears books!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds