October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

My toilet is sinking into hell

More
20 Nov 2017 11:35 #257921 by Sagrilarus
You're going to pull the floor until you find the solid edges of the rot, and if that doesn't lead to the shower you can rule out the shower. But I'll wager that it does. Most damage of this sort has a shower attached to it. Showers are inherently leaky things.

You're head-first in now, pull all the rotted flooring, down to the joists if necessary. I got lucky -- I had a layer that was solid before that and could just cover it with new plywood and put new vinyl over top. But the only real difference in going down to the joists is being careful to not fall in once the floor is gone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 11:55 #257923 by SuperflyPete
Get a multi tool. I have a Rockwell which was maybe 50$ and doing subfloor is so much easier with one. Drill a hole into the floor and then measure the depth. Set your circular saw depth 1/16 or so deeper. Then cut the bad shit out. Make sure that the end of your cuts are halfway across the width of a joist so you can nail the edges down. If you don’t, you’ll have a bath trampoline at best and a trap door at worst. Along the edges near the walls use the multi tool to finish since it’s thinner and you can get right to the wall.

Replace it with (what should be) 2 layers of OSB tongue and groove. Probably 23/32. This is the shit I used on mine:
m.lowes.com/pd/AdvanTech-Flooring-23-32-...6EAQYASABEgLvV_D_BwE

Make sure to screw it down, not nail it down. Extra points if you toss some Liquid Nails along the contact surfaces to avoid squeaks 5-10 years from now.

Depending on what you want to finish it with, you can use self-leveler if needed (Webpatch) to make the floor flat if it’s not, and then you can put any flooring you want down. If you use tile, you’ll be raising the floor height so make sure to measure gaps beneath doors and plan for that and thresholds. I’m a huge huge huge fan of Schlüter product, and so if I was doing it, I’d use Ditra or Ditra-Heat (for warm floors) and then tile over the top with large format tile and unmodified mortar ( not polymer!!! ). It’s slighly more expensive than good linoleum but no person ever said “I don’t want tile in my home”, so consider the payback upon sale.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
20 Dec 2017 15:25 #259402 by Cranberries
I'm ripping out the vinyl flooring right now. The wood beneath it is rotted particle board saw dust. There are a few black spots, so I put on a face mask in case it's mold. There is no clear path of water from the shower to the toilet area, so I'm not sure what was leaking yet, but will fill the shower basin with water once the vinyl tile is up and see where the water is coming from. If the shower isn't leaking then I guess I'll assume it was the toilet.

I also learned today that my circular saw has a depth gauge. I am fifty one years old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
20 Dec 2017 15:44 #259403 by the_jake_1973
Never too old to stop learning stuff. You have a good cadre of people here that have all done this stuff before to draw upon. I wish I had that when I faced a similar issue years back.

More
20 Dec 2017 16:26 - 20 Dec 2017 16:27 #259406 by SuperflyPete
Dye the water if you can. Makes finding a source easier.

If you don’t have a path from the shower to the toilet...it was likely not the shower.

Spray the black stuff and surrounding areas with Tilex or 4:1 diluted bleach. The spores will travel in your ducting. Do this ASAP.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2017 16:27 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Dec 2017 16:53 #259410 by Cranberries
The black spots correlate with nail heads, so I'm guessing they're corrosion and not black mold.

More
20 Dec 2017 17:07 #259411 by boothwah
If you're tearing up the sub-floor anyhoo, if you haven't thought of it already, you might think about sealing the subfloor with an oil based primer like killz -We do it as a standard practice in our rentals here in Oregon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete, the_jake_1973

More
20 Dec 2017 17:09 #259412 by boothwah

cranberries wrote: The black spots correlate with nail heads, so I'm guessing they're corrosion and not black mold.

We see that a lot in our older homes. the nail head thing.

More
22 Dec 2017 17:52 #259509 by Cranberries
I've chiseled out the vinyl tile past the edge of the water damage and just plugged the shower drain and filled it with dyed water. I noticed that the shower caulk was in terrible shape. So now I'm waiting to see if the shower leaks out onto the floor overnight. If it doesn't, then I'll run the shower head and see if leakage occurs. If that doesn't happen, then I'm going to assume the toilet was leaking and replace it.

I will probably have to rip out the sink unit to get to the flooring, in order to remove all of it.

The water damage actually seems the worst around the toilet drain. The fiberboard is sawdust, and can be knocked away to reveal the thin plywood substrate.

More
22 Dec 2017 20:12 #259515 by Cranberries
So I filled the shower pan with dyed water, and it leaked downstairs onto our hot water heater, so now we've identified that leak. Nothing seeped onto the floor, however.

I then ran the shower for 10 minutes and there was no leakage onto what remains of the floor.

So, given that the shower faucet thingies were replaced in the last year, I am going to assume that the toilet was leaking at the seal.

My wife has informed me that we are ripping the tiles off the wall and also tearing out the vanity, so this is going to be a longer project.

Working on this and doing some additional pre-Christmas anxiety cleaning pretty much killed today's Wiz War game.

More
22 Dec 2017 21:00 #259517 by SuperflyPete
I sure wish I lived closer. I just did this.

More
23 Dec 2017 00:17 - 23 Dec 2017 00:20 #259523 by ubarose

cranberries wrote: My wife has informed me that we are ripping the tiles off the wall and also tearing out the vanity, so this is going to be a longer project..

Lol. Many years ago our floor went soft around the toilet. What started our as a plan to just replace the bad wood and reseat the toilet for a few hundred dollars and a weekend's worth of work, turned into gutting the bathroom down to the studs and the joists, a few thousand dollars, and two months of work, plus having to pull a permit and get a variance.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2017 00:20 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds