October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Fight for Net Neutrality

More
26 Nov 2017 20:26 #258224 by Shellhead
If you like net neutrality in the U.S., it's time to stand up and be counted. (If instead you are happy at the prospect of your ISP deciding what you can access and possibly slapping you with paywalls or slowed down access to your favorite sites, go back to your passive surfing.)

On your PC, not your phone, go to:

www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

You must enter "17-108" on the first line stated as proceedings. Fill in your info. In comments, you should start with "I support Title 2 oversight of ISPs and Net Neutrality." or something like it then give some additional reasons. They cannot be generic because they're throwing them out saying they are bots and do not represent citizen voices and won't be counted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney, stormseeker75, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2017 21:17 #258227 by hotseatgames
Done. Also left a voice mail for my senator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb

More
26 Nov 2017 21:47 #258228 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Fight for Net Neutrality
I left a comment as well. Seriously, fuck Ajit Pai. This is a note I left at FB for my relatives...

Everyone hating Ajit Pai for his recent efforts to undo net neutrality. Good. He's a bad person.
For my relatives and friends that don't know what net neutrality ~is~, and why you should want it, I want you to imagine what things will be like without it…
---
  • Comcast is your Internet Service Provider, and they have an amazing new browser that will bring the best of the Internet straight to your computer and smart TVs! You, of course, are free to continue using the browser of your choice like Chrome or Firefox, but those incur a small monthly fee.
  • Netflix has great content, but so does Hulu, the preferred streaming provider for Verizon. Only Hulu streams in HD on Verizon networks unless you upgrade to VerizonPlus.
  • AT&T has partnered with Amazon to cap the per-order $.50 surcharge to just $5.00 annually. AT&T is always looking out for you, the customer.
----
Net neutrality is what keeps shit like this from happening. It's what makes the Internet the same, no matter how you use it. You want all your bandwidth spent on Netflix? Sure. On YouTube? OK. On PS4 gaming? Whatever. Without net neutrality, the ISP can decide what traffic to which sites costs how much and goes how fast.
If you voted for the GOP, this is what you wanted. You want rentiers extracting every last fucking dime from every last fucking person because you think you'll be one some day. Well, you won't. And we all pay for it.

...after some comments I followed up with more examples:
  • Imagine the electricity you use to wash clothes costs more than the electricity you use to watch TV. The electric company gets to decide.
  • Or water used to brush teeth costs more per unit, because you're just buying a little bit. Better to get the FullFlush™ discount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Nov 2017 22:25 #258229 by SuperflyPete
“Of all of the issues that face us today, Net Neutrality is likely the most pressing. I wholly support net neutrality for a host of reasons, not the least of which is the avoidance of having ISPs become the choosers of winners and losers in commerce. It is incumbent upon FCC to regulate ISPs as common carriers as they are the main information exchanges of all modern communications and commerce. These are nothing less than privately owned and operated public utilities.

Beyond that, allowing ISPs to charge higher rates for specific types of communications and traffic will reduce commercial viability of smaller companies and create an aristocracy where large multinationals choose which speech costs more to transfer, a de facto corporate assault on free speech.

Imagine an ISP decides that communications between citizens and the Federal or State governments deserves a surcharge - it will effectively limit democracy.

Ending net neutrality is wildly unpopular and if you choose to do so, it will be obvious corporate cronyism which will infuriate the electorate. With as much division as we have already, do you believe that enriching ISPs and Telecoms against the obvious wishes of the People serves the national interest?”
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
26 Nov 2017 22:55 #258231 by SuperflyPete
You can use your phone. Just make sure to press “Return” after entering your name. That locks it in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Nov 2017 08:16 #258232 by stormseeker75
Done. Thank you for sharing. I posted that on my Facebook wall.

More
27 Nov 2017 09:54 #258246 by Disgustipater
Done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
27 Nov 2017 10:20 #258250 by san il defanso
Comment left. Thanks for the link, Shellhead.

More
27 Nov 2017 10:39 #258253 by SuperflyPete
No, what they’ll do is throttle between Netflix and themselves, not between you and Netflix. They’ll do what they already did - nail Netflix for the upcharges, which then trickles down to you.

More
27 Nov 2017 10:40 - 27 Nov 2017 12:46 #258254 by SuperflyPete

Disgustipater wrote: Done.

EDIT: Apparently I was mistaken. Thanks (below) for clarification.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 12:46 by SuperflyPete.

More
27 Nov 2017 11:39 #258260 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Fight for Net Neutrality

SuperflyTNT wrote: No, what they’ll do is throttle between Netflix and themselves, not between you and Netflix. They’ll do what they already did - nail Netflix for the upcharges, which then trickles down to you.

www.cnet.com/news/comcast-vs-netflix-is-...bout-net-neutrality/

Relevant article from 2014 and the whole Comcast/Netflix brouhaha. The TLDR is that Netflix hooked their own CDN onto ports at the ISP level that were not designed to carry that much data, and they wanted Comcast to pay for improved infrastructure to accommodate specifically Netflix content. Comcast, not unreasonably, told them to go fuck themselves.

What lies in the future may be some Fresh Hell, but Comcast vs Netflix is not part of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Nov 2017 12:46 #258266 by SuperflyPete
I would really like to see someone here who is in favor of ending NN to see what possible motivation the average Joe has for supporting it. Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
27 Nov 2017 13:00 #258267 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Fight for Net Neutrality
Netflix actually coloed servers in many teleco hotels to alleviate longhaul traffic.

More
27 Nov 2017 13:04 #258268 by stormseeker75
Me too. I can't find one. The only argument I hear is about how Title II is government overreach by Obama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
27 Nov 2017 13:17 - 27 Nov 2017 13:18 #258269 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote: I would really like to see someone here who is in favor of ending NN to see what possible motivation the average Joe has for supporting it. Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

Here is what my son, who is apparently turning alt-right wrote:

Net Neutrality isn't about a free and open internet. It's about what massive evil corporation you support. If Net Neutrality talk wasn't in Google's interest they would censor all of it on their platforms, either directly or subtly. Of course now Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and others all have "Net Neutrality" featured on their front pages. This is not on accident.

It all comes down to Google and other tech companies that offer streaming services trying to save pennies on their cost of bandwidth. Comcast is tired of being forced to pay for all the upgrades to their network so people can watch Netflix in 4k, and they want to level the playing field. So a coalition of high bandwidth using tech companies have banded together to lobby the government the other way, using gullible redditors as foot soldiers. It worked with SOPA, all the big name tech companies participated in the blackout.

If these Net Neutrality "activists" actually cared about a free and open internet they would be campaigning to change internet infrastructure building laws to break Comcast's monopoly on adding to the network. If they really cared they would be trying to pass legislation that makes it illegal for social media companies to censor political speech. Those are the issues that are actually going to affect the net, not Netflix saving money on their bandwidth bill.
I still think Net Neutrality is good but if you think it's some kind of civil liberties issue you've been fooled by Google.

I'm sharing this not because I agree, but because it might be useful to get into the mind of the enemy. I personally think that the rise of streaming media is essentially moving the consumption model of traditional networks into the internet space, leading to bandwidth monopolization and hampering the growth of what I wish was a more eclectic, anarchic internet experience.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2017 13:18 by Cranberries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds