October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Starting a games related podcast

More
23 Feb 2018 10:16 - 23 Feb 2018 10:17 #263890 by Jexik
I've found that one of the things I like best about games is talking about them. From online discussions to in person discussions. If any of you ever listened to the Plaid Hat Podcast, I was on there too. (James Sitz, lead tester on Summoner Wars, and later the Dead of Winter Long Night expansion).

Around MLK day I thought about underrepresented folks in gaming, from POC to women, and I approached Isaac Vega (City of Remnants, Bioshock Infinite board game, Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, and of course co-designer with Jon Gilmour on Dead of Winter). I still haven't edited that one yet. We'll see how it was. I probably have decent rapport with him since we're friends. My plan is to interview Pete and hotseat as well for Seal Team Flix, go down the line of PHG people I'd like to talk to (as well as trying to talk to Fernanda Suarez and maybe John Ariosa and David Richards to get artist / graphic design POV). As one of the biggest heroscape fans ever, I'll also reach out to Rob Daviau and Craig Van Ness. There are some other indie designers and people who run large game groups that I'd like to talk to as well. My plan is to get a bunch done in a short period of time and then release an episode once per week. I think getting Shellie and Al together on an episode would be really cool as well.

The following is sort of an "episode zero" that I did with Jerry Hawthorne of Stuffed Fables (and Mice and Mystics). It's really rough and I interrupt Jerry way too much. It meanders a bit too much too and veers away from games. I've been told that the first 10 minutes are solid though. I aim to be a better interviewer in the future. I also last-minute had to run it on one track because Jerry didn't have a way to record.

literally any constructive criticism is welcome. I aim to do much better and have a more defined structure by the time it goes live for real. Hopefully I can edit the Isaac interview enough to be up to that standard. At least he and I did two tracks. I may revisit Jerry with a double interview with him and "Mr Bistro." My dream is to become the male Terry Gross of games, haha.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 10:17 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, engelstein, charlest, ufe20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2018 10:27 #263893 by Sagrilarus
Haven't listened yet, certainly will. Best of luck to you!

Please focus on gaming, not games. There's a hundred podcasts about games, when the stories around them are the more interesting part of the hobby. Talking to designers is a step in the right direction.

What's a POC?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Colorcrayons

More
23 Feb 2018 10:35 - 23 Feb 2018 10:38 #263895 by Jexik
person/people of color. it's a lame term and I think it's freaking weird how we've come back to terminology used 50 years ago. Isaac is half Dominican and half Mexican, young, and didn't really play board games at all until around 2007.

As for the content of the podcast, my goal is to focus on the HOW and WHY, not the WHAT. Clinical descriptions of board game mechanics bore the crap out of me. I'm not trying to sell anything here or get people to buy things, but to understand the people behind the games. One working title I've got kicking around my head is Inside the Box. So I ask broadly: how did you get into gaming? How did you get into designing/working/organizing games? What games are you into now*/ looking forward to?

*For kickstarter guys and whatnot, this is where they can talk about current/new projects.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 10:38 by Jexik.

More
23 Feb 2018 10:55 #263898 by charlest
Inside the Box is already a brand - a publisher, so not sure if that confusion would be worth it.

Haven't listened yet, but good luck. I'd say time is important and trying to keep your episodes to as short a length as possible. Staying on topic is important as well, as many people get turned off if you ramble or veer off into sports, movies, whatever - unless of course you can tie that into the discussion about gaming.

Interviews are great - although coordination can be a drag - but episodes featuring a prominent interview or focused around a hot new game will do much better than an episode with discussion around a topic. As Sag said, there's already tons of podcasts that focus on the games (you could make an argument that mine veers that way often), but that material does tend to get more listeners. The most interesting stuff with discussions around the social aspects or culture at play will underperform. Listener stats may be of no interest to you, however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
23 Feb 2018 11:06 - 23 Feb 2018 11:09 #263900 by Jexik
Going forward I think I'll aim for 30 minutes with minimal discussion of social issues unless it's directly relevant to the game, like if I were interviewing Loter for his game.

The interviews being a drag is why I'll try to get a couple months ahead of schedule at the start, so that it'll be easier to set up interviews without needing them _tomorrow_.

Thanks for the heads up on the name. I'll have to come up with a different one. Why I said it was tentative. I hadn't googled it yet. I've thought about silly stuff like Sitting down with Sitz. Or Games with James. But I don't want it to be about me.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 11:09 by Jexik.

More
23 Feb 2018 12:54 #263908 by bronb

charlest wrote: I'd say time is important and trying to keep your episodes to as short a length as possible.

0 seconds?

Jexik wrote: I've thought about silly stuff like Sitting down with Sitz. Or Games with James. But I don't want it to be about me.

Sitz Podz Gamez?

More
23 Feb 2018 13:42 #263912 by charlest

bronb wrote:

charlest wrote: I'd say time is important and trying to keep your episodes to as short a length as possible.

0 seconds?

Yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bronb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds