EA
engineer Al
July 14, 2021
573 0
J
Jackwraith
July 14, 2021
2155 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What home repairs are you working on?

More
27 Jun 2021 20:17 - 27 Jun 2021 20:33 #324271 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote:

Disgustipater wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I have an electrical problem, probably a short circuit. Sometimes when my A/C kicks in, an entire circuit temporarily shuts down, affecting 2 outlets in my living room and 2 light fixtures in my basement. The breaker in the fuse box doesn't trip (they never trip for some reason),

Two questions to satisfy my own curiosity:

1) Is your A/C a window unit plugged into the wall?
2) Is your breaker panel a Federal Pacific (Stab-Lok)?

1) Central air. I have a window unit on the second floor, but have only used it twice so far this year, since nobody is currently using the upstairs bedroom.
2) Cutler-Hammer.

How many amps is your board?

Old breakers that aren’t exercised can fail to throw when they need to. You should turn your breakers off and on when there’s a power failure to prevent this. Once a year, don’t forget the main.

But I don’t think that’s the problem. Figure out if those outlets are on the same circuit as the AC unit. Shouldn’t be, but it happens. If they are, and especially if they are LED bulbs, the circuit may be falling below their minimum voltage to function.

That means your AC is really hauling down on that circuit. The unit may need a new capacitor (which is cheap). If it does it for a short enough period of time the breaker may not overheat (i.e., need to trip).
Last edit: 27 Jun 2021 20:33 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2021 12:14 #324280 by jason10mm

Sagrilarus wrote: Old breakers that aren’t exercised can fail to throw when they need to. You should turn your breakers off and on when there’s a power failure to prevent this. Once a year, don’t forget the main.

So is this something that should be done when the power goes out or is it just convenient to do it when the power is out because everything in the house is off already?

Sagrilarus wrote: Figure out if those outlets are on the same circuit as the AC unit. Shouldn’t be, but it happens. If they are, and especially if they are LED bulbs, the circuit may be falling below their minimum voltage to function.

That means your AC is really hauling down on that circuit. The unit may need a new capacitor (which is cheap). If it does it for a short enough period of time the breaker may not overheat (i.e., need to trip).

I wonder if this is the root cause of our blinking pantry LED and fan issues. We had the home inspector use an IR camera on the power boxes when we bought the house and it showed no hot spots, but that was in the winter. Maybe now there is some combo of AC/fridge/etc that is temporarily overloading those circuits.

More
28 Jun 2021 13:49 #324284 by ubarose
I'm reupholstering our game room chairs.

I almost posted this under hobbies, since it is something I rather enjoy doing, but I don't get to do it often as it is a rather expensive under taking. You really have to rationalize spending the money - like by categorizing as home improvement.

I had to replace the tools I lost I lost in the fire, including a pneumatic upholstery stapler, webbing stretcher, upholstery regulator and some work gloves. Stapler was rationalized as "useful tool with many uses." Although I am pretty much kidding myself with that rationalization since it is a 22 gauge stapler, so it isn't like I can use it on anything other than upholstery.

I am waiting on supplies - welting, Dacron, foam, cambric, fabric samples. There seems to be a lot of supply delays. Foam and fabric samples are significantly delayed, so it may be a couple of weeks before I can start this project in earnest.

I did receive a roll of jute webbing this weekend, so I may be able to take that new staple out for a spin and start webbing the seats this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars

More
29 Jun 2021 14:20 - 29 Jun 2021 14:28 #324305 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Old breakers that aren’t exercised can fail to throw when they need to. You should turn your breakers off and on when there’s a power failure to prevent this. Once a year, don’t forget the main.

So is this something that should be done when the power goes out or is it just convenient to do it when the power is out because everything in the house is off already?

It's just convenient. It doesn't reset any clocks that aren't reset already. It's also an easy way to remember to do it, assuming you occasionally lose power.

You should figure out if something else is on your AC's circuit. Just shut down a circuit at a time and see what turns off. Sometimes when someone does an addition or adds an outlet they just grab whatever wire happens to be nearby and tap into it. It's likely not a crisis, but if the AC is having trouble kicking on it will hit that circuit hard and drop its voltage. That could blow out computer gear or TVs. It's not hard on your light bulbs but they're the ones that let you know there's a problem.

But a hard AC start is bad for your AC unit, and they're expensive. It may just be a dead capacitor in your AC which is a cheap, easy replacement.

If you're handy at all you can do it yourself, just watch a youtube video for it and replace the one you currently have in the unit with a duplicate. It will hook up the exact same way, making the job easy. Now fair warning, a lit capacitor can bite you. Shut off the power to the unit and then short out the three prongs on the top of the capacitor with a screwdriver or pliers. It's easy easy easy to do, just make sure you do it. If you look at a youtube video you can see them do it. Mine cost $16.64 and made a big difference in how the unit started up.

If you're not handy, find that guy in your neighborhood and throw him $50.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2021 14:28 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 Jun 2021 21:21 #324314 by jason10mm
Well, I'm replacing both of my units tomorrow so it is a moot issue for me.

An electrician came by today. One fan (spins, but lights blink) had a bad remote controller and we had no remote. So he removed that part and now it works. Another fan (lights, but no spin) was considered dead and was replaced. The blinking pantry light had the entire fixture replaced with a dedicated LED one, so we'll see.

I'll do the breaker thing next outage. Power here is pretty reliable long term so it may just have to be a voluntary outage next time we get a flicker that goofs the clocks.

More
22 Jul 2021 13:02 #324830 by Gary Sax
God damn spammers are annoying these days.

More
22 Jul 2021 16:24 #324832 by fightcitymayor

Gary Sax wrote: God damn spammers are annoying these days.

So you're saying that guy is NOT enjoying his new toilet seat? Well my day is now ruined, and I am terminally depressed.

More
22 Jul 2021 16:29 #324833 by Gary Sax
They do the clumsy sleeper agent thing too which is just fucking annoying.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds