October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Any free email accounts that have privacy?

More
18 Apr 2018 13:50 #267752 by ChristopherMD
I've been using Yahoo forever but don't think it was entirely private before and know for sure it won't be going forward per their new terms. Any web-based emails that are reasonably secure and not mining my data while still being free (or very cheap)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:01 #267753 by Black Barney
The one that comes with your ISP is usually your best bet.

If not then..

ProtonMail (based in Switzerland) has end-to-end encryption and doesn't keep ANY of your ISP info

CounterMail (based in Sweden), stores all their data on CD-ROMs! Doesn't keep ISP info either I think. It's only free for a week anyway.

HushMail

MailFence (Belgium) - I like this: Something else to consider here to readjust your trust level is to realize that since Mailfence uses servers in Belgium, it's only through a Belgian court order that the company can be forced to reveal private data

Tutanota

I really like this sound of TorGuard
They promise not to track your email usage in any way and does not have contact with any government agencies or third parties without a court order.

so you can check these out. TorGuard sounds really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
18 Apr 2018 14:36 #267760 by hotseatgames
I haven't been paying attention... what did Yahoo change about their terms?

More
18 Apr 2018 14:55 #267765 by Matt Thrower
When it comes to the internet, "free" and "private" tend to be dimetric opposites.

If you're not paying for it, you are the product being sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Erik Twice

More
18 Apr 2018 15:08 - 18 Apr 2018 15:10 #267769 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: I haven't been paying attention... what did Yahoo change about their terms?

Yahoo was purchased by Verizon, and Verizon publicly stated that the real value of Yahoo to them was their information on users. Verizon's privacy policies now apply, which are academic because Verizon is using the data internally across all of their divisions to customize advertising on their television connections, offer movie rentals, etc. Saying "we don't share your data" is not terribly compelling when the company itself has a dozen uses for it. Verizon has a camera on the front of all of their cable boxes facing you, recording what's going on in your living room as you watch TV. Now they can add information regarding your habits in Yahoo's services and in your Yahoo email.

Again, all academic, because Yahoo was cracked, more or less meaning that any privacy policy they did have is of no value. Their (your) data is in the wild in bulk.

There is no such thing as email that is private. You can set up your own server, but your ISP (which may well be Verizon) scrapes all the data coming through on the line, or at least can. Verizon does everyone the favor of being honest about it.

S.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 15:10 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
18 Apr 2018 15:48 #267771 by hotseatgames
Verizon has been my cell phone provider ever since I had a cell phone. They probably already know a staggering amount about me.

More
18 Apr 2018 16:12 #267772 by ChristopherMD
I've used the same Yahoo email for over 20 years so I'm sure all kinds of information on me is out there from them and other sites. No use crying over spilled milk. Taking the Verizon thing as motivation to change it for something better so at least I'm not spilling as much milk going forward. Just signed up for protonmail so I'll see how that goes. If I like it I'll upgrade to the paid version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Apr 2018 17:51 #267773 by dysjunct
I’ve been using ProtonMail for a while and like it. Note that it’s only end-to-end encrypted when sending to another ProtonMail account.

The free level is legit free, no ads and no data tracking. (Unless they are completely lying about everything.) It is pretty bare-bones though and has very limited storage space. Paid versions have the functionality one would expect.

They also run a VPN. A little more expensive than my current one, PIA, but also based out of Switzerland for the stronger privacy laws.

The email and VPN divisions are legally separate companies, so that if anything happens to one then the other is unaffected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 Apr 2018 18:05 #267774 by hotseatgames
Just got the email from Yahoo about all of this. They link to "Oath" which is apparently the parent company. I used their privacy controls to opt out of everything. We will see (or probably not see) what effect that has.

More
18 Apr 2018 18:22 #267775 by ChristopherMD

dysjunct wrote: I’ve been using ProtonMail for a while and like it. Note that it’s only end-to-end encrypted when sending to another ProtonMail account.

The free level is legit free, no ads and no data tracking. (Unless they are completely lying about everything.) It is pretty bare-bones though and has very limited storage space. Paid versions have the functionality one would expect.

They also run a VPN. A little more expensive than my current one, PIA, but also based out of Switzerland for the stronger privacy laws.

The email and VPN divisions are legally separate companies, so that if anything happens to one then the other is unaffected.

Cool. I'm already using PIA too so don't need the VPN.

More
18 Apr 2018 20:23 #267779 by Sevej

MattDP wrote: When it comes to the internet, "free" and "private" tend to be dimetric opposites.

Haha I still remember the priceless expression of a friend when I told him that him playing and doing fairly well on free online shooter with some P2W stuff, is what the developer intended. One of the most challenges of game development? AI. So make people work for free for your game, and have the rich people pay you to hunt them!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, birdman37

More
18 Apr 2018 22:06 #267783 by Cranberries

Sevej wrote:

MattDP wrote: When it comes to the internet, "free" and "private" tend to be dimetric opposites.

Haha I still remember the priceless expression of a friend when I told him that him playing and doing fairly well on free online shooter with some P2W stuff, is what the developer intended. One of the most challenges of game development? AI. So make people work for free for your game, and have the rich people pay you to hunt them!

The Most Dangerous Game II

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds