October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Let's Talk - Donations

More
03 May 2018 11:18 #272574 by ChristopherMD

For those who missed it, the Donate button is at the bottom of the page. An option to make it a recurring monthly donation is now included. I don't make any money here so this isn't for me. I set mine to $5 a month because I visit this site a lot. The way I look at it is I've paid $12 to see Avengers 3 and $130 for Cthulhu Wars. I get more regular entertainment hours out of here than from either of those. For even $1 a month, less than the price of literally anything in this hobby, you can help keep this site going as well as pay our admin for all the work she's put into it and money she's spent keeping it going for you all these years.

Also, please consider patreonizing our writers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, southernman, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2018 11:38 - 03 May 2018 11:48 #272576 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk - Donations
I was able to make a donation, but will try to set up a recurring donation next month.

How would the patreonazation (sp?) process work? I keep reading that as patronizing -- which would be fitting for this site.

EDIT:
In terms of monthly donations, what are the amount of monthly expenses that would be helpful to cover (including some remuneration for those that keep this place running)?
Last edit: 03 May 2018 11:48 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 May 2018 11:49 - 03 May 2018 11:49 #272577 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Let's Talk - Donations

ChristopherMD wrote: For those who missed it, the Donate button is at the bottom of the page. An option to make it a recurring monthly donation is now included. I don't make any money here so this isn't for me. I set mine to $5 a month because I visit this site a lot. The way I look at it is I've paid $12 to see Avengers 3 and $130 for Cthulhu Wars. I get more regular entertainment hours out of here than from either of those. For even $1 a month, less than the price of literally anything in this hobby, you can help keep this site going as well as pay our admin for all the work she's put into it and money she's spent keeping it going for you all these years.

Also, please consider patreonizing our writers.

What he said.

I don't like sounding off (I'm British), but I dumped over a month's worth of my Patreon takings into the site the other day to help keep things running. The site is hosted on a good server with a good CMS and that costs, and it comes out of Shellie's pocket. Your donations really matter.

Speaking of Patreon, and of sounding off, I started updating mine today. I'm $9 away from achieving my lowest goal and it would be lovely to be able to actually meet a damn goal on there for the first time. So here's a promise: if I can get the $9 needed to get over that goal, I'll put half of it, rounded up, into a regular donation to keep the site running.

www.patreon.com/mattthr

I hope my contributions here over the years have been worth a buck or two, now and again.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 11:49 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Frohike

More
03 May 2018 11:49 - 03 May 2018 11:49 #272578 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk - Donations
The monthly thing is very helpful, I'm glad it got introduced.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 11:49 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 May 2018 11:52 - 03 May 2018 11:56 #272579 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk - Donations
Seriously, knowing a general sense of expenses would be helpful. I can forgo a couple of ice teas a week and probably put in $20/month.

Thanks for the link, Matt. Will each of the writers have this? If we become patrons, is there anyway to unsubscribe? Sorry for all the questions -- I am just trying to understand and help (what little I can) try to make sure that people are rewarded for all the work that they have been doing in a site that I have enjoyed since its inception.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 11:56 by Space Ghost.

More
03 May 2018 12:15 - 03 May 2018 12:17 #272582 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Let's Talk - Donations
I dropped a fifty. It’s big enough to do real good and small enough to fly under the radar of the CFO.

Also: While other writers or whatever may end up being paid, I refuse to be paid. Nothing shady about it - since I’m not on MM payroll I’m reverting back to Circus rules and methods and treating it as an extension of the Circus.

Plus, I’ll probably end up panhandling on Patreon if the webshow ends up flying. Currently trying to figure out how to do broad licenses for music becuase I refuse to do a show about booze and games without licensed music in the background and I also refuse to steal from an artist.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 12:17 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2018 12:20 - 03 May 2018 12:22 #272583 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Let's Talk - Donations

Space Ghost wrote: Will each of the writers have this?

I honestly don't know. We're discussing how we might be able to fund the site - and all the extra content we're hoping to get - going forward. The folk at MM did used to get paid, after all.

I've had that Patreon running for a couple of years already, so it's separate. Not that it's picked up much traction or interest in all that time :(

Space Ghost wrote: If we become patrons, is there anyway to unsubscribe?

You can just log in to Patreon and cancel your subscription at any time. You're not signing up to anything long term, or any contract of any kind.

I don't know about PayPal donations to the site, but I imagine they work exactly the same way.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 12:22 by Matt Thrower.

More
03 May 2018 14:09 #272599 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Let's Talk - Donations
So, here's a thought. Editor-In-Chief Michael gets games for the Fortres.uh...TWBG delivered to writers. They sell them after review and half of the proceeds are sent back to the F.....TWBG....in the form of donations. Everyone wins.

More
03 May 2018 14:24 - 03 May 2018 14:25 #272603 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk - Donations

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, here's a thought. Editor-In-Chief Michael gets games for the Fortres.uh...TWBG delivered to writers. They sell them after review and half of the proceeds are sent back to the F.....TWBG....in the form of donations. Everyone wins.

I don't think the point was to find a way to funnel more money away from the writers to the site, the point is to make the site fully sustainable and perhaps some day get beyond that to pay the writers.
Last edit: 03 May 2018 14:25 by charlest.

More
03 May 2018 14:34 #272606 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Let's Talk - Donations
let's start a dating service like Facebook is doing! $$ CHA-CHING!!! $$
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
03 May 2018 14:41 #272611 by JMcL63
Replied by JMcL63 on topic Let's Talk - Donations
I'm sure the whole site is just panting for some personal time with you Barney...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2018 14:42 #272612 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Let's Talk - Donations

Space Ghost wrote: Seriously, knowing a general sense of expenses would be helpful. I can forgo a couple of ice teas a week and probably put in $20/month.

Thanks for the link, Matt. Will each of the writers have this? If we become patrons, is there anyway to unsubscribe? Sorry for all the questions -- I am just trying to understand and help (what little I can) try to make sure that people are rewarded for all the work that they have been doing in a site that I have enjoyed since its inception.

Server fees are $540 a year (comes to $45 a month, but we pay yearly so we don’t have to pay a monthly billing service charge). This may increase since we are starting to run out of room. We went down on Tuesday due to lack of space. I had to delete our test platform and cull out logs, backups and some other stuff to get us back up again.

Domain name registration is $28 a year each ( I pay extra for privacy. Before I started that I would get rando phone calls from people who looked up my domain registration info). We’ll be maintaining two domains for awhile, so that bumps it up to about $600 a year to just tread water.

I’m try to squirrel away some money to upgrade the site. That will cost about $400 - $500.

I don’t want to clutter up the site with advertisements, but I’m considering bringing back our Amazon Store. That used to bring in a good chunk of change to put towards up grades each year. We are hoping that our rebranding, and an regular content will attract enough advertising dollars to make the site self supporting, but getting to that place requires a some upfront spending.

I would like to say a public thank you to Space Ghost, and all the rest of you have donated over the past week or so. We are very close to having the server costs covered for the upcoming year. I am really deeply touched by your generosity and continued support of our community and mission.

Also, I would like to point out that the donation button will take you to a paypal page that suggests some rather high donations. Just ignore those. The smaller amounts really add up and are as appreciated as the larger ones. And for those of you that don’t have money to spare, we love you too. Your readership and participation is really the most valuable thing each of you can give.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax, allismom3, ChristopherMD, Frohike, sornars

More
03 May 2018 14:45 #272613 by ubarose
PS, also if you choose to donate monthly, you can change the amount or discontinue it completely through your PayPal account.

More
03 May 2018 14:58 #272616 by ubarose

charlest wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, here's a thought. Editor-In-Chief Michael gets games for the Fortres.uh...TWBG delivered to writers. They sell them after review and half of the proceeds are sent back to the F.....TWBG....in the form of donations. Everyone wins.

I don't think the point was to find a way to funnel more money away from the writers to the site, the point is to make the site fully sustainable and perhaps some day get beyond that to pay the writers.

Absolutely. That is the goal. Any funds we raise in excess of our operating costs, whether through donations, advertising or amazon will be going to our writers. Until then, their only compensation is review copies of games, which is shamefully inadequate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
03 May 2018 15:20 #272618 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk - Donations
Once the writers get going especially, I would absolutely encourage you to surface the donation link in a much more prominent place with more verbiage. I think it's overly modest in its presence right now, tbh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds