October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Tough read re: being a woman in the games industry

More
27 Jun 2018 12:54 #276376 by Sevej
I know women who gets turned off by such things. Just because every single woman you know don't, doesn't mean everyone in the world do.

Look, you do you, but we did sort of committed on making it less club house ish.

Chill, dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:55 #276377 by ChristopherMD
Pete, I've already said all I have to say on this subject for the time being but just wanted to chime in here that rafcordero is not a moderator on this site. I said before I would crack down on posts that are deliberately asshole-ish towards women. That's on me and other mods to decide when and where. I really don't give a fuck if people swear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, allismom3, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
27 Jun 2018 13:11 - 27 Jun 2018 13:14 #276379 by Jexik

ubarose wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote:

Sevej wrote: Man, that youtube video is sickening. It's everything wrong about the situation.

The comments section is even more disturbing.

Most of it is sanitized incel, mra, and 4chan rhetoric repeated literally 1000 times. Note, however, there is a section discussing BGG. These people are on BGG. They are on every large geekcentric website. They are at cons.

They gather in pockets in different areas of the internet where they can speak freely. And they can mobilize quickly to tear down small blogs, or disrupt forums, and generally create a whole parade of ugly if they wish. We fly under the radar, but we need to be aware that as we become more visible, we may have to deal with them.

It's absurd to see them making fun of someone's appearance and chest thumping about how they wouldn't even bang or harass her, because they're such cool alpha dudes. If they were, they wouldn't be commenting on worthless youtube videos. Is there really some set of super successful, attractive dudes who watch and comment on these videos in their spare time? What do they get by being so scared of women? How much projection is going on that they accuse her of SEEKING EVEN MORE MALE ATTENTION? Ugh.

I feel like there's some weird subset of guys who sit around commenting on stuff like this and calling people epithets on video games... instead of running out and joining an aggressive skinhead gang. Which I guess is maybe a good thing?
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 13:14 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ufe20

More
27 Jun 2018 13:14 - 27 Jun 2018 13:18 #276381 by ubarose
Holy shit! Do not make me stop this car! You'll all be walking home.

People are discussing games and shit in other threads. Check it out.

Crap! It's not even Friday yet.

Never mind. MD is here, thank goodness.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 13:18 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Sagrilarus, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
27 Jun 2018 13:51 #276388 by Sagrilarus
This thread is a train-wreck for attracting new readers. Frankly, I think Barnes' statement was an invitation for the trolls too. If you can't stay on the high ground you shouldn't engage. If you want to make a statement, you gotta be positive.

Post about games, talk about games. Blow away nasty posts, block NIC ids. Just my two cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Erik Twice, ecargo

More
27 Jun 2018 14:34 #276393 by Erik Twice

Jexik wrote: How much projection is going on that they accuse her of SEEKING EVEN MORE MALE ATTENTION? Ugh.

It is indeed projection. Hence all projection. Hence the comments about how feminism is a ploy for ugly women to get laid and other nonsense.

They just feel threatened. If you think about it, Katie is a massive threat to their worldview. She's a normal woman playing some of the most hardcore games in the market. She makes them uneasy, because by their own gatekeeping logic she's superior to them. She proves their worldview wrong just by existing.

Sagrilarus wrote: This thread is a train-wreck for attracting new readers. Frankly, I think Barnes' statement was an invitation for the trolls too. If you can't stay on the high ground you shouldn't engage. If you want to make a statement, you gotta be positive.

I think it's important to be explicit and say "Hey, all the usual assholes aren't allowed in here". Because every single website on Earth claims to take the high ground and be very much for diversity only to look the other way when the usual suspects come up. Being so explicit is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, ecargo

More
27 Jun 2018 15:05 #276396 by jeb
Please, don't just leave this to moderators. We, as frequent users, need to send the message that bullshit, hateful or not, is called out. Be respectful and forthright. This is a genuinely good place online and it is precious to me. I know I can talk about what's on my mind, which, normally, is optimizing Shaman decks in HEARTHSTONE, but is occasionally recent SCOTUS decisions or who's performing above expectations in the Men's World Cup.

So. Believe women. Vote. Viva Mexico al Copa Mundial.

More
27 Jun 2018 18:05 #276415 by Sagrilarus

jeb wrote: Please, don't just leave this to moderators. We, as frequent users, need to send the message that bullshit, hateful or not, is called out.

With all due respect, short of setting a beer next to it you couldn't be a whole lot more imviting to a misanthrope than calling out their bullshit. That's why they're here.

Post a site policy that welcomes inclusion and well-considered contributions.

When someone drops crap in a thread, ignore it until an admin deletes it. They're looking for the fight, your best tactic is to ignore them and delete them. Zero feedback. Don't fight on their favored ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Black Barney, Frohike

More
27 Jun 2018 20:24 #276425 by SebastianBludd

Sagrilarus wrote: Don't fight on their favored ground.

This reminds me of an old aphorism that also applies to internet assholes: "Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
27 Jun 2018 20:34 #276426 by Black Barney
Hey so I have a quick conspiracy theory story to share that I think fits right into this thread.

I don’t know if you guys are familiar with the mobile trivia game show app, HQ, or not but it’s good fun.

So they have 3-4 different hosts that they rotate regularly. One guy, Scott, and 2-3 girls.

So tonight was Sharon Carpenter. This British milado who uses too many rhymes and stuff. She seems to be pretty stacked (apologies but this is important to the story) and wears very conservative dresses for the most part. Tonight was this insane boring outfit where she almost looked like a nun. So there is an open chat feature for comments live during the show and it lights up . Just like it did last night when the cute sports host was showing a ton of cleavage and was literally bouncing as she hosted the show. Again, the comments just light up and you see a ton of people getting kicked from the game from moderators or something

Ok so tonight Sharon asks what the bottom of a wine bottle is called. I said dribble but the answer is punt. So she says punt and then says “keep the comments clean fellas” and immediately almost everyone wrote “nice punt”, lol. Which I think is hilarious and I turn off the game and walk upstairs

Then I start thinking

The girls often make vague ineundos when talking about the answers. “I bet lots of you guys got on top of that one...” which is usually followed by tons of crass comments and people getting kicked from the game. I should mention that about a million people play th A game each time. Sometimes two million

I’m starting to wonder if it’s some kind of social or psychological experiment to gauge how guys react to various stimuli when in an anonymous setting.

For instance, Scott NEVER changes his suit. He always has the same outfit and no one ever says anything. But the girls get slammed for comments regardless of what they’re wearing. Scott never gets comments on his appearance except when he wears too much eye shadow or something

I’m hoping other people here play the game and notice this stuff. Sharon’s outfit tonight was so ridiculously conservative compared to last nights hostess with the low cut bouncing that I really think they’re doing it on purpose and measuring this somehow.

Yet the hot chicks sports show has the smallest prize and the lowest number of players consistently . Maybe they’re testing what draws players, I dunno

Anyway the way the girls are treated in the live comments compared to Scott is very much a propos with this discussion

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds