October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What Auto Mechanic incompetence have you been suffering?

More
29 Jul 2019 10:11 #300192 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote: I'm feeling this thread right now. Have a 2014 Malibu and just had to get the cam actuators replaced. Check engine light came back on the next day. I take it in and they clear it, say it's probably just residual. Hit the highway for the first time since they cleared it today and it's still stuttering slightly when maintaining higher speeds, check engine light back on.

Ugh, 2014 is rough for big problems like this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 10:35 - 29 Jul 2019 10:36 #300193 by Sagrilarus
I was a Chevrolet guy for years, inherited from my father. I stumbled onto a Kia Sedona at a good price years back and boy, that pretty much settled it for GM with me. I've had two more Kias since with just no problems at all. Super-easy to work on and minivans tend to suck to work on because their hoods are short.

So I'm looking to get another car, used, a commuter that just needs to cruise 25 miles on the highway each day at 65. So I'm looking at all the cars in the Camry/Accord size and looking to spend $6-$8 on something with 100,000 miles on it. When I got to the Chevy Cruze it seemed fine, not a stunner but not a dog either and after the test drive I opened the hood to have a serious look and . . . yikes. Hoses and wires slung here, there, and everywhere, just a mess. I was instantly transported back looking under the hood of my old Chevy Venture and thought "I don't want to go back to this mess." I got $200k out of the Venture with just the gasket issue as a big expense, but man-o-day was it a mess to work on. For some reason GM just can't seem to make a car simple under the hood. I couldn't deal with it.

I ended up stumbling onto a 117k Camry for $4800. I can sit on the fender and dangle my legs inside the engine compartment there's so much room to work. Runs a timing chain instead of a belt, a quality pickup that has been cruising with no problems whatsoever so far. Owned by the local Catholic church before me. I call it the Holy Roller.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 10:36 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Jul 2019 10:40 #300195 by barrowdown
My non-argumentative contribution to the thread (sorry Gary) is that my Outback has been in the shop for the past week and probably has a couple more to go. After that, my wife's Forester gets to go in for probably 1-2 weeks. Plum-sized hail damage to both of them. My car is getting the roof, hood, and trim replaced and they believe they can fix the rest with PDR. My wife's car had a car carrier on top, which protected the roof, as well as Forester's using rubber (instead of metal like the Outback) so took significantly less damage. Surprisingly, no glass was damaged, just the metal components.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2019 10:41 #300196 by ChristopherMD
2019 Honda Fit. Haven't needed a mechanic yet.

A friend of mine who is single and never transports more than some groceries drives an SUV. I just don't get it.

More
29 Jul 2019 10:46 - 29 Jul 2019 10:48 #300198 by RobertB

Michael Barnes wrote: Get a BlueDriver. It’s about $100. You plug it in to a port you may not even know exists under the dash. When the check engine light comes on, you download an app to your phone and it transmits the OBDII codes to your phone along with other information. I’ve used mine quite a bit when the check engine light is on. On my old truck, I was able to self-diagnose and repair a couple of worn-out valves. Saved about $600.

In the 'learn something new every day' department, I learned that there are the plain vanilla engine codes, and there are ABS and SRS codes. The BlueDriver reader knows those as well. The $15 one I bought does not.

Joebot wrote: I long ago came to the conclusion that auto mechanics and doctors are pretty much the same. They both work hard to cultivate an air of infallible wisdom and experience ... but the reality is that their jobs are just "trial and error." Sometimes they guess right, but most times they don't.

When dealing with the transmission repair morons I ran into this right after the transmission repairs: my VSA light kept coming on when the car got to 30 mph or so, which means that the Vehicle Stability Assist was turning itself off. I griped to the transmission guys, and they said, "That's because the tire pressures were too low, the tire circumferences were all out of whack. It's fine now." I saw it wasn't working right after I left the shop and got on the road, but at this point I didn't trust them all that much anymore. So after some googling I found out that a) my cheapo OBDII sensor doesn't know ABS/SRS/VSA codes, and b) they missed/skipped a reset step and to do it you need a $1000 ODBII sensor tool to short out some pins in the sensor like what the dealer has. Or you can perform a voodoo ritual to reset everything, that involved shorting the pins out yourself with a paperclip and doing button presses and brake pedal presses. Scary, I know, but the voodoo ritual worked.

Moral of the story at the moment: Joebot is closer to right than I like to think.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 10:48 by RobertB.

More
29 Jul 2019 10:54 #300199 by Sagrilarus

ChristopherMD wrote: 2019 Honda Fit. Haven't needed a mechanic yet.

What is it, three weeks old? You shouldn't need a mechanic on that thing until 2025!

More
29 Jul 2019 13:05 - 29 Jul 2019 13:12 #300206 by ubarose

A friend of mine who is single and never transports more than some groceries drives an SUV. I just don't get it.

My Dad, who lives most of the year in Florida, has a Fit. It is super cute, and great for city driving and parking. But is is also super light, and I found it to be a bitch to drive on the highways when it is windy. How does it handle in snow?

I have a CRV, even though most of the time it's only me and maybe some groceries. I'm on my second one. The first lasted for 200,000 miles. It tries to look like an SUV, but it is actually really a wagon (it was built off the old Honda wagon chassis), so it drives like a car and gets gas milage like a car as well. People give me crap for driving an "SUV," but it was literally the only car that met my requirements in it's price range, which are: needs to get up my hill in the snow; carry 3 people, bikes and luggage; allow me (5'2") to reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel, but still have enough head room for Al, who is more than a foot taller than I am. The last criteria was the deciding factor. The CRV is ergonomically designed for shorter drivers (ie. women), but the "SUV" styling allows enough headroom for taller people. So yes, I drive the ultimate Mom Car.

Re: Mechanics
We have had the same mechanic for 20 years. It's a family business. I trust them totally. It makes life so much less stressful when you don't don't have to worry about your mechanic trying to rip you off, knowing I can get advice over the phone when needed, and that when I go in and tell them I am driving alone to PA and to look over my car for me before I go, they will check it out as if I were their own mother/daughter/sister, and often won't even charge me to do it.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 13:12 by ubarose.

More
29 Jul 2019 13:50 #300213 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: My 2007 Nissan Frontier passed recently. Due to a well known, documented issue where the transmission cooling tube leaked into the radiator, it overheated and spewed a pink “strawberry milkshake of death” out of the coolant reservoir. Would not crank. Quoted $4700 to. Nissan didn’t issue a recall, but was offering assistance to pay for repairs...up to like $500 if it goes over $3000. Fuck that.

Exact same issue happened with my girlfriend's Acura RDX last fall. She bought it used for $10k from the original owner, with only 90K miles on it, but we ended up spending several thousand more since then for various repairs. The dealership fixed the transmission/coolant shake for $2,000, and the day after they fixed it, it nearly overheated again during a 4-mile drive. I expected to find a ruptured or disconnected hose connecting to the radiator, and I was right. They re-used the old spring clamp, and it sprang loose. I drove to the nearest auto parts store and bought a worm gear hose clamp for $12. Took me just minutes to fix once I got home.

I have had an above average number of car issues in the last year, but the service has been good though the prices have been too high. Several repair shops that previously treated me well have seemingly overcharged me this time around, and got dropped. At this point, the only place I still trust in my area is Tires Plus. They are open seven days a week, they charge a fair price, they do good work, and once they charged me zero for an easy fix. Because they are the only place in my area that is open all weekend, they now work on just about any type of repair and not just tires and brakes. I had a couple of negative experiences with them more than a decade ago, but had to try them again because nobody else works weekends anymore.

More
29 Jul 2019 13:55 - 29 Jul 2019 14:03 #300214 by Ah_Pook
I'm about to buy a car in the next day or two. I've been driving a 94 Tercel that my family has had since it was new for the past 6 or so years, and it's on ours last legs. It could definitely be resuscitated for not a lot of money, but the body is all fucked up too and I don't know that's it's worth messing with. But we got like 250k out of it, and it could easily keep chugging so I got nothing but love for that car.

I'm looking at getting a late 00s/early 10s Yaris I think. My brother and his wife are huge car people and they swear by them.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 14:03 by Ah_Pook.

More
29 Jul 2019 14:22 #300215 by ChristopherMD

ubarose wrote:

My Dad, who lives most of the year in Florida, has a Fit. It is super cute, and great for city driving and parking. But is is also super light, and I found it to be a bitch to drive on the highways when it is windy. How does it handle in snow?

I'll probably never find out about the snow. I work from home so no reason to go out in bad weather. Haven't noticed any highway wind issues but doesn't mean they aren't there. I probably just shrug them off without thinking about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Jul 2019 15:03 - 29 Jul 2019 16:17 #300217 by RobertB

ubarose wrote: Re: Mechanics
We have had the same mechanic for 20 years. It's a family business. I trust them totally. It makes life so much less stressful when you don't don't have to worry about your mechanic trying to rip you off, knowing I can get advice over the phone when needed, and that when I go in and tell them I am driving alone to PA and to look over my car for me before I go, they will check it out as if I were their own mother/daughter/sister, and often won't even charge me to do it.

I ask everybody at work, "Who's your mechanic?" and I get *shrug*. I take it to the dealer sometimes, but those guys charge $$$; the $3K transmission rebuild at Dummies 'R Us* is $8K at the dealer. That's "time to buy a new car" money.

While we're beating people up, let's take a swipe at the parts dealers. I had to replace the starter on my car this weekend. Autozone charges $140 for their house brand starter, new, plus a $40 core charge that you get back when you give them your old one. $110 for their rebuilt starter, plus that $40 core charge. I could get a new AC Delco starter on Amazon for $120, or a Brand X for $80, and keep the busted starter for a paperweight. I ordered it Saturday, and the delivery guy arrived on Sunday, literally right after I got the old one out.

*I sort of know how the stuff under the hood works, but automatic transmissions use black magic to do what they do. Those idiot-savants at the transmission shop I went to may not know how to use a pressure gauge, but they can rebuild a transmission.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 16:17 by RobertB.

More
29 Jul 2019 15:46 #300220 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: They re-used the old spring clamp, and it sprang loose.

Those things should be outlawed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Jul 2019 16:37 #300224 by Msample
Besides the Buick wagon ( which between wagon malaise and the Buick stigma has sold poorly, hence the hefty deals on them out there ) the only other wagons left to buy in the US are VW, Volvo, Mercedes . The latter two, while very nice, are a huge step up in sticker price. Meanwhile go on a European website for those brands or BMW and the huge variety of configurations makes me weep with envy. Even US brands have wagons over there - while touring some WWII battlefields we had some Ford wagon that had no problem on the autobahn. There also inexpensive brands like Skoda .

More
29 Jul 2019 17:27 #300228 by Space Ghost
My first car was a 1984 Honda Accord (built like a tank) that an old lady sold me out of her barn for $100. I had to rebuild the carbeurator, but it worked great until 1998 during my junior year of college. I bought some shitty little manual that was a dodge (car's so bad, but I don't remember the name of it -- had problems with the catalytic converter restricting oxygen flow and just causing it to die) and then had a Grand Am until I got out of graduate school in 2004.

That year, I bought a Honda Accord from Enterprise and it has been great since then. It has about 170,000 miles on it. I was taking it to a local mechanic that we really like but we bought a Honda Odyssey in 2014 that was still under warranty and had to be serviced at the dealership to keep the warranty. Since then, I have been taking the Accord in a couple times a year to the dealership and just have them do the scheduled maintenance and upkeep -- they check shit over and usually there are no issues. Last year, I needed new tie rods -- the cost at the dealership is probably about a 10% markup, but I feel like they know what they are doing, they use parts made for the car, and I haven't had any issues. After 15 years, I have really had nothing to fix (besides the tie rods) beyond oil, fluids, the brakes once, and a new cruise control button -- the car is just well made.

More
29 Jul 2019 17:27 #300229 by barrowdown

Msample wrote: Besides the Buick wagon ( which between wagon malaise and the Buick stigma has sold poorly, hence the hefty deals on them out there ) the only other wagons left to buy in the US are VW, Volvo, Mercedes . The latter two, while very nice, are a huge step up in sticker price. Meanwhile go on a European website for those brands or BMW and the huge variety of configurations makes me weep with envy. Even US brands have wagons over there - while touring some WWII battlefields we had some Ford wagon that had no problem on the autobahn. There also inexpensive brands like Skoda .

And VW is stopping production on their wagons this year. Link .

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds