October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

JR Honeycutt Banned From BGG.CON 2019

More
15 Nov 2019 16:45 - 15 Nov 2019 16:47 #304239 by ubarose
So this was published today...

Coming Forward to Move Forward

W Eric Martin has this to say:

Game designer JR Honeycutt has been removed from the Tabletop Network event due to start in a couple of days, an event run in partnership with BoardGameGeek, and his BGG.CON 2019 badge has been revoked. For an explanation why, read this: medium.com/@victoria.mann11/coming-forwa...forward-8608e9c27e74

More importantly, if you exhibit behavior anything like what Victoria describes in this article, please do us in the game industry a favor and leave. I want BGG events — hell, every event, not to mention life itself — to be safe and welcoming, so help us do that by (at a very minimum) not being a terrible person.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2019 16:47 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2019 17:03 #304240 by ChristopherMD
You left off the part where he's banned from TWBG too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, cdennett, ecargo, Vysetron

More
15 Nov 2019 18:38 #304243 by Michael Barnes
What a fucking piece of shit.

More
15 Nov 2019 22:32 #304245 by Sagrilarus

ChristopherMD wrote: You left off the part where he's banned from TWBG too.

Did he ever post here?

More
15 Nov 2019 22:39 #304247 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: You left off the part where he's banned from TWBG too.

Did he ever post here?

Not that I know of. Let's keep it that way.

More
16 Nov 2019 06:31 #304252 by san il defanso
I knew JR when I lived in DFW. We ran in many of the same circles. (For example, he invited me to participate in the Mega Civilization livestream I did several years ago.) To my knowledge he never posted here.

This whole situation is horrible.

More
16 Nov 2019 12:16 #304256 by ubarose
Wow, I expected to wake up to reports of Victoria being trolled and abused, instead I found this.

JR Honeycutt's Apology on Facebook

If you can't access it on Facebook, here it is on Reddit
JR Honneycutt's Apology

Also this article on Tabletop Wire
Industry Distances Itself from Game Designer JR Honeycutt

I think that the real news here is that people with the power to affect change, the leaders in the industry and the influencers in the community, are taking a stand on the treatment and position of women in the industry and the hobby. The rank and file are following their lead. Perhaps we are finally beginning to emerge from the post #gamergate era and into the post #metoo era.

Personally, it makes me, as a woman, feel safer, more respected, and less invisible in the hobby. Perhaps I can stop hiding behind the scenes, and maybe start writing and producing content without feeling unsafe or irrelevant. So I have decided to test the waters and attend PAXU as an official member of the Press and schedule meetings and report here. What I produce will probably be a bit rough. I know some readers will roll their eyes and dismiss it. But I am going to do it.

And now I am going to push the submit button and not second guess what I just wrote and delete this entire post.

More
16 Nov 2019 12:38 #304258 by Gary Sax
Go for it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, WadeMonnig

More
16 Nov 2019 14:11 #304262 by Michael Barnes
Really glad to see that his oh woe is me “apology” is getting dragged. The whole “I have pwobwems *sob*” excuse doesn’t cut it and it shifts the narrative to the abuser. This was extended, protracted, and prolonged physical and emotional abuse. Shitbags that are like this don’t change. They get teary eyed when called out (just like in both her story and the “apology”) and transfer the abuse elsewhere. Hopeful this monster will go off somewhere and remain alone for the rest of his days so he can’t hurt anyone else. Happy to see the hobby running this asshole out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
16 Nov 2019 14:24 - 16 Nov 2019 22:13 #304263 by Gary Sax
My perspective is that assholes can change, but no one, especially those in any way related to their disfunction (whatever it is), is under any pressure to think they have actually changed or to forgive and/or forget. Any attempt to make that happen, especially on behalf of a perpetrator of some harm, is pretty suspect in my view. It's the thing that makes a lot of these public apologies feel pretty hollow, these sorts of people will do anything to continue the status quo.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 22:13 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, san il defanso

More
16 Nov 2019 15:45 - 16 Nov 2019 15:57 #304265 by ubarose
This is a real seachange moment, and we are watching it play out in realtime.

Statements from leaders and influencers are coming out in a way I would have never predicted, particularly after the response a while back to Katie merely stating the obvious - harassment exists at cons and in the industry.

Here is a statement just released from Stephen Buonocore:

I have spoken often in seminars, panels, and on podcasts about the importance of diversity and inclusiveness in the gaming community. I've stated that diversity and inclusiveness are the single most important things we can do to foster a healthy game community and industry.
I have been wrong.
The single most important thing that we must do in the game community and game industry is to create and maintain a safe environment for all gamers. Creating a safe environment for everyone then leads directly to increased diversity and more inclusiveness.
To use a geeky reference from a sci-fi Captain, I state this now:
"Not again! The line must be drawn here!"
That line should have been drawn already, several times over. We should have done more or said more or helped more, but we failed - I failed. Again.
"Not again!" This will be a mantra for me. "Not again!"
Did I know any of what was happening? No, not a single thing. But it has happened. Again.
I vow to be part of the solution on some level. I will do anything I can to not see this happen again.
What can I do? Of course, this is the hard part.
Passively, I offer this to everyone:
If you ever feel unsafe, threatened, or are being abused in some way, and I am at the convention or show, come to me. I will see to it that the threat is removed or the abuser knows that I am your ally.
Actively, I am going to work within the game industry on this. I have already reached out to GAMA on this issue and how we as an industry can help. This will be on the next GAMA Board Meeting agenda.
Finally, I would like to ask everyone who is reading this:
- Do you have any further ideas on how we can all create a safe environment for gamers?
- Are there any additional ways that I and others within the industry can help to achieve this?
Thank you for your time.

Here is another from W Eric Martin

One distressing element related to the revelations of JR Honeycutt's abusive behavior is the commentary I've seen from multiple people that he's not the only one out there.
I felt like a fool when Josh Githens' abusive behavior was revealed in 2018, and I saw multiple people (mostly women) comment that they had known about it and warned others to be wary of him.
With those thoughts in mind, what's the best way forward to remove people like this from the game industry? Without information, we can do nothing — yet it's unreasonable to expect victims to talk openly given that they're not doing so now, instead spreading word through a whisper network that might be somewhat effective locally.
I apologize if this sounds like I'm blaming victims for not talking publicly as that's not my intent. I mean only to reiterate that I can take no actions, whether individually or on behalf of BGG, unless I know about something, and as a relation in the industry pointed out to me after the Githens news came out, we at BGG aren't on the party circuit at cons, so apparently we miss out on the gossip that "everyone knows".
Any suggestions?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 15:57 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, mads b., san il defanso, hotseatgames, cdennett, ecargo

More
17 Nov 2019 09:01 #304278 by jason10mm
Hang on, what am I missing here? This sounds like a woman who willingly entered into a relationship with a man she KNEW was married from the get go, carried it out under his wife's nose for 18 months, worked with the guy and travelled all over with him, then got pissed off when he moved on to cheat with yet another woman so she outed him publically. Doesn't sound like he groomed her, had a power imbalance (other than what she willingly created by going to work for him after he started cheating), or anything.

Is this a chris Hardwick type thing where he blacklisted his ex afterwards? Not really sure why this stuff is getting this guy's career tanked, so there must be some more to it, right? I suspect LOADS of gamers and designers cheat. And their relationships are not rosy. Are we banning all of them?

Cheaters are douchebags. Folks who willingly sleep with cheaters are also douchebags in my book.

But I suspect there is more to the story that I didn't glean from those OP articles, so I apologize in advance if it sounds like I'm defending the cheater.

More
17 Nov 2019 10:03 #304281 by Josh Look
I dunno, trying to have sex with her while she’s drugged is a pretty good place to start with for why he’s an asshole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
17 Nov 2019 11:41 #304282 by jason10mm
Oh, he is an asshole all right. I have no idea who he is and definitely wouldn't want to hang out with him (or her, quite frankly) but to torpedo a guy's career over what sounds like a jilted lovers quarrel seems a bit extreme. She stayed in intimate contact with this guy for MONTHS, after all this crazy creepy stuff went down. Why? GTFO!

I feel bad for this woman because she learned a hard lesson and hopefully will make better choices in the future. I've been there. I suspect most of us older than 30 (and that is probably the entire site, right?) have been in some form of this relationship, plus or minus the infidelity part. So as an example to other people, male and female, about getting into messy relationships and staying around far too long, I get it. But a condemnation of THIS GUY in particular to tank his professional career, unless he is flexing power in a Hardwick or Weinstein way, I'm not seeing it.

But anyway, it seems like this story hits home in a personal way to some on this site so I'm not gonna continue to debate it as it will cause pain to folks. It's not my intention.

More
17 Nov 2019 12:00 #304284 by hotseatgames
Jason, you are seeing things through a very male lens here. This guy exhibited predatory behavior, and the industry and its events are better off without him.

It takes a lot of courage for women to speak up, and for every story you hear, there are thousands that go unheard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Jackwraith, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds