October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
02 Oct 2020 12:21 #314763 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
I think you guys underestimate the importance of showing up in battleground states and connecting with people. Biden talks directly to almost no one. He doesn't answer direct questions, his policies are nebulous at best. He will raise taxes on virtually everyone, he will embrace a very expensive new green deal program, he is very noncommittal about ruining the supreme court by packing it. These things are troubling to moderates and biden needs to get out there and reassure folks as to his real intentions. Biden seems to have turned his back to the extreme left but his refusal to admonish antifa and the riots will also hurt him as it seems like he has no intention of stopping the riots (though I imagine Harris is chomping at the bit to go after them).

"Not trump" isn't a platform, especially when "not trump" is just the opposite of what trump says on a daily basis. I want Biden to lay out concrete goals and plans to achieve them so I can accurately evaluate his platform. He just says meaningless statements (when he is not claiming to have attended a HBC he never did). Trump does this as well, but at least I can look to his last 4 years to see what he actually gets done.

But back on topic, my FLGS is open for in person in store gaming again. Yay!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2020 12:46 #314764 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus

jason10mm wrote: He will raise taxes on virtually everyone....

...Trump does this as well, but at least I can look to his last 4 years to see what he actually gets done.

Right, because "virtually everyone" makes over $400k a year.

If these last few years have not swayed you from voting for Trump, well.... best of luck to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, themothman421

More
02 Oct 2020 12:56 - 02 Oct 2020 13:11 #314765 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
Deleted because pointless.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 13:11 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 Oct 2020 13:30 #314767 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Coronavirus

jason10mm wrote: I want Biden to lay out concrete goals and plans to achieve them so I can accurately evaluate his platform.

How hard have you looked?

A simple Google search brought me to this page on Biden's official campaign site: joebiden.com/joes-vision/

It lays out detailed agendas and policy proposals for a whole bunch of things, like education, small businesses, taxes, racial equity, the pandemic, immigration, etc. It's all there, and it's not hard to find.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JoelCFC25, dysjunct, Varys

More
02 Oct 2020 13:33 - 02 Oct 2020 13:35 #314768 by jason10mm
Did trump do the same to the EU? Covid hit the entire world! I know charts and stuff are not the most compelling things but just look at the population adjusted mortality. Lots of well developed countries were but as hard or harder than the US. How did trump do that?

Hard to do in my phone but this is from wiki. That last number (in the 60s for the us) is the deaths per 100k population. The US is HUGE so raw numbers alone don't tell the tale.

As for the tax cuts, the most certainly cut taxes for folks making way less than 400k/yr. If biden just unilaterally cancels them many folks WILL pay more in taxes. Up to you if that is acceptable or not.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/17/d...ax-cuts-really-work/

Anyway, no need to dogpile me, let's just let the election do its thing and get back to da games.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 13:35 by jason10mm.

More
02 Oct 2020 13:42 #314769 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

jason10mm wrote: I think you guys underestimate the importance of showing up in battleground states and connecting with people. Biden talks directly to almost no one. He doesn't answer direct questions, his policies are nebulous at best. He will raise taxes on virtually everyone, he will embrace a very expensive new green deal program, he is very noncommittal about ruining the supreme court by packing it. These things are troubling to moderates and biden needs to get out there and reassure folks as to his real intentions. Biden seems to have turned his back to the extreme left but his refusal to admonish antifa and the riots will also hurt him as it seems like he has no intention of stopping the riots (though I imagine Harris is chomping at the bit to go after them).

"Not trump" isn't a platform, especially when "not trump" is just the opposite of what trump says on a daily basis. I want Biden to lay out concrete goals and plans to achieve them so I can accurately evaluate his platform. He just says meaningless statements (when he is not claiming to have attended a HBC he never did). Trump does this as well, but at least I can look to his last 4 years to see what he actually gets done.

But back on topic, my FLGS is open for in person in store gaming again. Yay!

In a normal election year, Biden would need to get specific, but simply running as Not-Trump is probably the safest way to hold together an unwieldy alliance of progressives, moderate Democrats, and moderate Republicans. As for platform, the official Republican platform for 2020 is quite literally the 2016 platform, complete with criticism of the current administration:

www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/politics/republican-platform.html

Otherwise, Trump is trying to run as a law-and-order candidate, blaming the current unrest on Biden, even though Trump is president and Biden currently has no role in our government.

I hope your FLGS is requiring masks, because we still don't have vaccine and the virus seems to have mutated into a somewhat more contagious form. You're in Texas, right?

covidactnow.org/us/texas-tx?s=1097244

More
02 Oct 2020 13:49 #314770 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
This is basically a litany of ignorance and determined inattention to not only the last four years, but the last several decades of policy.

jason10mm wrote: I think you guys underestimate the importance of showing up in battleground states and connecting with people. Biden talks directly to almost no one.

Define "no one." This is a link to an image from Business insider showing Biden speaking to protestors during the early days of the response to George Floyd's death. Biden isn't doing the usual glad-handing route because it's dangerous because of the topic this thread is based upon (aka COVID-19.) He has, however, held multiple events in very controlled circumstances to minimize the risk to himself, his campaign, and the interested voters. But the Idiot tends to hog the headlines for obvious reasons.

jason10mm wrote: He doesn't answer direct questions, his policies are nebulous at best. He will raise taxes on virtually everyone, he will embrace a very expensive new green deal program, he is very noncommittal about ruining the supreme court by packing it.

These things are troubling to anyone determined to not pay attention. I'm no Democrat, but Biden's campaign has laid out several fairly detailed plans on economic recovery. It's also hilarious how people like you complain about the "expensive" Green New Deal when it's very clear that the government has the money to do these things but simply chooses to push that cash into other areas, such as the recent suggestion for a 500-ship active fleet... Being "noncommittal' about enlarging the size of the Supreme Court (the size of which is determined solely by recent tradition from the 20th century) is actually the perfect approach, since he leaves the option open, considering recent GOP shenanigans surrounding appointments (Perhaps you remember those? Or is that part of the reality that you've chosen to ignore, as well?), but isn't wielding it as a direct threat. It's called "leaving oneself room to maneuver." Most politicians engage in it regularly, unless they're idiots like Trump who simply choose to brazenly lie their way past things that their devoted followers will then choose to ignore.

jason10mm wrote: Biden seems to have turned his back to the extreme left but his refusal to admonish antifa and the riots will also hurt him as it seems like he has no intention of stopping the riots (though I imagine Harris is chomping at the bit to go after them).

Nothing highlights the ignorance of this overall statement more than this segment. "Antifa" is a label, not an organization. I'm a Marxist. I know more genuine revolutionaries right now than you'll probably encounter in your entire life. Each and every one of them laughs about the spook stories around "Antifa", as does anyone who has bothered to pay attention. Similarly, the "riots" are not ongoing. As an example, the president's complaints about the entire city of Portland being aflame are deliberate lies, especially given that the area of the city affected by the demonstrations (not "riots") covers three city blocks. That's it. His (and Fox News' assertions) about mass and persistent fires and chaos have been repeatedly refuted by officials on the scene up and down the administrative chain. The same is true for every other "anarchist" city that Trump and his cronies have complained about. This is not a campaign issue in the slightest, except to the third of the populace that is devoted to that criminal moron and the news network that parrots his every word.

jason10mm wrote: Trump does this as well, but at least I can look to his last 4 years to see what he actually gets done.

As others have noted, if what has "got done" over the past four years is what leaves you on the fence about whom to vote for, then you deserve every bit of scorn tossed in your direction. The man currently in office is an incompetent, racist criminal; the same thing he has been for his entire existence (as his personal history is replete with examples of those behavior patterns.) He's almost directly responsible for the loss of 200,000+ of your fellow citizens. So, "not Trump" is actually a perfectly valid platform, if you have any consideration for people who don't look like you, and/or don't share your gender, and/or don't share your economic good fortune or who have simply had the misfortune to be exposed to the virus. To Biden's credit (and I have been one of his lifelong detractors, as I have been with the majority of Democrats), he's at least facing the reality of our current circumstances (environmental, economic, social), whether or not his plans go as far as the "far left" would like.

You either vote for the racist criminal who is looting the Treasury and stood in the way of saving hundreds of thousands of lives, despite knowing the threat that we're all now living under, or you vote for the other guy. Not a great choice, but this is life in an oligarchy, and said choice couldn't be any more obvious if you have any concern for others who don't happen to share your status in life.

More
02 Oct 2020 14:10 - 02 Oct 2020 14:11 #314771 by jason10mm
nypost.com/2020/08/31/man-suspected-in-d...oting-is-100-antifa/

Just an ideology or not, it is killing people.

And a Marxist? How's that working out for yah? Taken over a country yet that can make it work?

That was unfair and I apologize. We clearly need to take this to a TTS version of Diplomacy and learn about peaceful cooperation and trust :)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 14:11 by jason10mm.

More
02 Oct 2020 14:21 #314772 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
That guy ain't suspected anymore - he was shot when the cops went to pick him up. People are suspicious, but we all know cops wouldn't do anything shady.

Rand Paul got laughed at when he demanded Antifa's (note the caps) financial records. People were asking when their Antifa expense reports were going to get reimbursed.

More
02 Oct 2020 14:32 - 02 Oct 2020 17:46 #314773 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus
-removed-
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 17:46 by JoelCFC25. Reason: off topic, stupidly got drawn in

More
02 Oct 2020 14:34 #314774 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
My grandfather was antifa. During World War II, he belonged to an antifa organization known collectively as the United States Armed Forces.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Count Orlok, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, Greg Aleknevicus, Pugnax555, Varys, mc

More
02 Oct 2020 14:47 #314775 by jason10mm
Dude, his own website says he supports it.

And he brought AOC in on it. Do you really believe the numbers he is quoting? Would AOC agree to work with a radically limited version of her plan?

Now if he said he was gonna drop a nuclear power plant in every state then I'm all for it. Solar and wind are nothing compared to clean sweet atomic power! Except in Power Grid of course.....

I wish him luck on his train tour. If he can get out there and preach I'm willing to listen. Now that trump has to take a break we'll see if anything changes in that camp other than spending more of our money.
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2020 15:06 #314776 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

ChristopherMD wrote: Trumps rallies have nothing to do with him getting re-elected. Everyone that goes is voting for him even if there wasn't a rally.

It's not about the attendees. In fact the attendees are a critical part of the show. It's about the free air time. He pays nothing for hours and hours of coverage in the press, effectively turning his campaign into reality tv. In 2016 he double-dipped on that by calling in to all the morning shows as well. But they've wised up and kicked him off. Even when he self-invited himself onto Fox and Friends they backed off the promise after he was done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
02 Oct 2020 15:18 #314777 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Coronavirus

jason10mm wrote: Dude, his own website says he supports it.

And he brought AOC in on it. Do you really believe the numbers he is quoting? Would AOC agree to work with a radically limited version of her plan?

Now if he said he was gonna drop a nuclear power plant in every state then I'm all for it. Solar and wind are nothing compared to clean sweet atomic power! Except in Power Grid of course.....

I wish him luck on his train tour. If he can get out there and preach I'm willing to listen. Now that trump has to take a break we'll see if anything changes in that camp other than spending more of our money.

I should know better than to get involved responding to you, but no, his website (as you've quoted it) does not say "he supports it". The piece you quoted says Biden has his own plan that is in fact complimentary, because it has similar goals, but is in fact not the same thing. If you're going to try and throw out "gotcha" responses, be sure to read them a little more carefully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25

More
02 Oct 2020 15:42 #314779 by jason10mm
What does "believes in" mean to you?

You are approaching Clinton levels of "depends on what the meaning of IS is" level of denial. So either Biden is being deceptive or AOC totally sold out on a plan that is a skeleton of her proposal. Which do you believe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds