October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
02 Oct 2020 15:54 - 02 Oct 2020 16:01 #314781 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Hey, can we stay on topic here. This thread is for us to discuss the coronavirus and how it impacts us, stresses us out, and show a little support for each other. Maybe share some helpful knowledge about it. I think everyone is upset, and maybe angry and maybe scared. And that is okay. It is good to be able to express that somewhere we feel safe.

I think every one here is super smart and able to make their own decisions regarding their own politics. If you want to debate the Democratic or the Republican platform, or Marxism vs Capitalism, or the Green New Deal, or Antifa, or whatever, there are a zillion other places on the internet where you can do that. This is not one of them.

And if you can't all take a step back and stick to the topic, I'm going to have to ask Gary Sax to step in and make these off topic comments go away.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 16:01 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Not Sure, mezike, jason10mm, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2020 15:55 - 02 Oct 2020 15:56 #314782 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Coronavirus
(never mind, Uba got here to say the same thing in a probably nicer way while I was on "Preview")
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 15:56 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 Oct 2020 16:09 #314784 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Coronavirus
Mods, go ahead and delete my off topic comments and any replies. It's not worth engaging and I should know that.

It sure is exhausting watching the country step on rakes over and over again a la Sideshow Bob. I'm in a college town (against my will) and the university propagandists are doing their damnest to try and skew the rapidly growing number of outbreaks among the students as no big deal (gotta gear up for that football money).

More
02 Oct 2020 16:40 #314790 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
@Count Orlok

The situation in college towns is quite distressing. We know it is just a matter of time before it explodes from UCONN, and spreads through the entire county.

More
02 Oct 2020 17:26 #314793 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
I ask my daughter what's going on with Covid at the University of Cincinnati, and what she tells me is, "Dunno." Not because she doesn't care, because she's kind of a hypochondriac, but because the administration doesn't share those numbers. At least not where they can be easily found.

Miami University (the 'Public Ivy' in Oxford OH, not The U) had a big outbreak; a thousand cases or so a couple of weeks ago. From what I could tell there's not really much to do in Oxford but drink, unless you drive to Cincinnati*. So parties off-campus are big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
03 Oct 2020 02:09 #314799 by themothman421
Replied by themothman421 on topic Coronavirus
Utah's own resident Trump ass-kissing senator, Mike Lee, tested positive today. Schadenfreude vibes coming in strong this October as our state's infection rate continue to skyrocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Oct 2020 22:46 #314829 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
Just… wear a mask, everyone.

I went back to my first post here and it's still good info. I just didn't think we'd collectively be this bad at this. I hope you are all doing ok, staying healthy, and taking care of yourselves.

More
09 Oct 2020 00:19 #314940 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
News from Kuwait.
No schools are open at all but I have to go in everyday to do online teaching. It's weird because I'm not allowed to meet anyone, even from my own department, and of course masks and gloves are required to enter and leave the building. I meet no one in a normal day.

Infection rates continue to rise so kids coming back to any kind of face to face teaching is unlikely before January and it's probably a wash for the entire academic year.

Many parents have maids to help them out so kids at home is less of a problem than in, say, Europe but it is still an issue. The Ministry of Education and Health are dictating the rules and there is no messing with them.

Tanya is back from Ukraine which is a great relief to my mental health. I believe that I had some kind of nervous breakdown during the lockdown but I feel much better now even though the future is uncertain.

On that note, I want to thank everyone who interacted with me during the lockdown as it, at least distracted me from the situation. I went into survival mode and stopped all interaction with school and family as I focused on being alive. It worked, but at great cost to me, my family and employer all of whom were obviously worried.

Myself and Tanya have already agreed not to talk about that time as the memories are still too painful to bring up.

I did manage to buy an apartment in central England which is now our 'bolthole' and retirement place so we won't rent it out. It will be reserved for when we go back to UK in the summer or I finish work in Kuwait.

Tanya wants to go to US in the summer as her daughter is giving birth in upstate NY. I am worried about her health but if she needs to go, I won't stop her but I won't be going to US until that arsehole is out of office.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, dysjunct, RobertB, jay718, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Msample, mezike, hotseatgames, Nodens, n815e

More
09 Oct 2020 10:13 #314944 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
The Fantasy Flight Event Center (and Asmodee North America) is across the street from my local post office, so I often drive past on the way home from work when I am dropping off mail. I was recently startled to see the neon OPEN sign lit up in a window of the Event Center. So I checked their website when I got home. Apparently the Event Center is only open for retail sales and food pickup, and I'm guessing the primary food customers are Asmodee employees. Also, the Event Center hours are more limited, and it's only open five days a week now.

More
09 Oct 2020 17:39 #314957 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I get discouraged lately when I think about the vaccines in development. The frontrunners pose significant distribution challenges, like delivery via two doses administered 30 days apart. Or delivery and storage at -70 degrees Celsius (-94 degrees Farenheit). And the FDA target threshold for efficacy is just 50%. Combine that with polls showing that 30% of Americans won't take a COVID-19 vaccine even if it's free, and we could be looking at immunity for just 35% of the population, well below any plausible herd immunity. Better outcome would be possible if people take multiple vaccines if available, but still unlikely to reach the 70% herd immunity for a virus of this degree of contagiousness. For comparison, measles is significantly more contagious, so the herd immunity threshold is 94%.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
09 Oct 2020 18:24 - 09 Oct 2020 18:24 #314958 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
I think a better route than a vaccine is a reliable way to treat the symptoms.

Then it won't matter as much and normality is more likely to return.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 18:24 by ThirstyMan.

More
09 Oct 2020 19:03 #314959 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
I think we need a combination of better methods of treatment, vaccines, and for the political and social will to behave in a way that significantly reduces spread.

My understanding of vaccines is that they really work best when enough of us have had them. Or else even vaccinated people are still carrying risk of getting ill.

More
09 Oct 2020 19:08 #314960 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
Only 40% of people get the influenza vaccine so I expect a similar covid vaccine rate. That % seems able to blunt the flu quite a bit and I'd expect covid to behave in a similar fashion. Hopefully older folks at least are enthusiastic about taking it.

Doesn't help when anti-vaxxer politicians poo-poo the vaccine as if only Trump could create and market it himself instead of the FDA approving it through the usual channels. But such is politics these days.

More
09 Oct 2020 20:05 #314962 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
If you're in the 60% who don't normally get a flu vaccine, this year would be a great time to make an exception. If you get flu and COVID simultaneously that would be bad news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
09 Oct 2020 20:17 #314963 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote: I think a better route than a vaccine is a reliable way to treat the symptoms.

Then it won't matter as much and normality is more likely to return.

That’s been the MO for HIV for a couple of decades. Treatment has turned it into a mangeable disease and there’s heavy behavior management and contact tracing. They’re still working on vaccines for it.

Just shy of 40 years later, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ThirstyMan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds