October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
14 Oct 2020 13:06 #315128 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
That sounds very responsible, uba, I'm glad to hear some sanity on transparency at your workplace.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2020 13:16 #315129 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
@Gary Sax

We also have fairly extensive contact tracing. We have to turn in a form every day listing every person that we have had more than passing contact with, and list every room or space we have been in. I rather disconcerted the electrician that came into my office to change one of the florescent bulbs when I asked for his full name and phone number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Oct 2020 13:25 - 14 Oct 2020 13:25 #315132 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
I'm contracting to a state agency right now, too. One with extensive public interface.

I've been invited to a conference call with the manager of our group. Apparently managers were pulled into a quick conference call to explain what has happened. So by 2:45 I'll be all educated on the issue that, apparently, I only needed to hear about because it's in the press now.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2020 13:25 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Oct 2020 13:38 #315134 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
My company is doing contact-tracing and in my building we have a lot of security doors so its easy to see where people have been. Haven't been in the office since pre-pandemic but they're also doing temp checks on entry and if you fail they block your badge for 2 weeks so you literally can't come in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
14 Oct 2020 13:50 #315139 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm contracting to a state agency right now, too. One with extensive public interface.

I've been invited to a conference call with the manager of our group. Apparently managers were pulled into a quick conference call to explain what has happened. So by 2:45 I'll be all educated on the issue that, apparently, I only needed to hear about because it's in the press now.

That sounds a bit dubious. We get mass emails that state:

X number of state employees at specified location has/have tested positive for the virus. They were in contact with Y number of employees who are quarantining for 2 weeks. They did/did not have contact with the public. The location will be closed until [date] for cleaning. Further contact tracing is underway. You will be contacted privately within Z hours if it is determined that you are at risk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
14 Oct 2020 14:40 - 14 Oct 2020 14:42 #315141 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
We just got the thinnest soup imaginable served to us. "We feel awful about this and we're doing everything we can to protect you." I tried to politely ask if management was caught off-guard by the news in the media and got the feeling that the managers hadn't got an answer about that. That's the heart of my curiosity right there. Either they were caught off-guard, i.e., they weren't aware of the cluster, or they have been aware for a week or more and have not provided that information to the organization.

They want to allay fears but I think that paragraph you wrote above does that, and it's not something we're getting. Given the size of our organization we've assuredly had more cases. I'm home likely for a year, so this doesn't affect me very much. But if I were front-line or being asked to come in I'd be a lot more comfortable with some data to work from.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2020 14:42 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
14 Oct 2020 16:22 - 15 Oct 2020 08:15 #315154 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Coronavirus
In Denmark we had lockdown for, what, a couple of months in the spring with homeschooling and all that. Then the schools opened without cases exploding and slowly things got more or less back to normal. Still no big parties, concerts have gradually been allowed with sitting audiences and other precautions. The performing arts have been hit hard and I'm personally glad I don't make a living doing comedy anymore.

Then, about a month ago, numbers began rising again and a soft lockdown was implemented. Bars close at ten, no big gatherings, and some other things. Also, people are advised to work from home which for me means two days at the office and three days of home so that we are no more than four people in the offices in a given day. It works pretty well and I love the added flexibility not having to communte gives me. Not sure we can talk the owner into having more work at home days going forward since he personally can't make it work, but I hope.

The current number is pretty much the same as when we did the hard lockdown in March, but there is a huge difference: the amount of testing. So we don't have that many hospitalised, so I'm guessing the amount of non-discovered infected was pretty huge back in the spring. The big question is for how long these soft restrictions will be in place, but most likely for a while. Numbers are trending downwards, but I'm guessing the government also want to keep them down this time.

Also, having a wellfare state is great when suffering from a pandemic. Things have been rough for a lot of people and this will have implications for a long time going forward, but free health care, government help to affected businesses, and guarantied support if you're unemployed goes a long way to help.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2020 08:15 by mads b.. Reason: Too many alsos

More
15 Oct 2020 16:34 - 15 Oct 2020 16:41 #315195 by ubarose
We now get "pre-work wellness check" text every morning at 7am and have to reply with the numeral that indicates my choice.
The choices are.

1. I am scheduled to work and have no COVID symptoms.
2. I am scheduled to work but prefer to contact my supervisor
3. I'm not scheduled to work today

I'm not sure what the point of these are. It feels like some contact tracing or COVID management package was purchased, but since it is the state, they bought the least expensive thing possible. And also, since it is the state, privacy laws and regulations are followed, so they stripped out anything that would make anyone report that they had COVID symptoms. So my guess is this is some package that has been stripped down to the point of being pointless.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2020 16:41 by ubarose.

More
15 Oct 2020 16:42 #315196 by Gary Sax
We do this too at my work. It's useless. Health security theater, just like most airport security.

Turning out that a lot of the obsession over surfaces and such is similar health security theater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, JoelCFC25, Msample, jason10mm

More
15 Oct 2020 16:51 #315198 by ubarose
"Health security theater" indeed.

Al's school spent money on something that actually seems useful. They have security scanners on every door in the buildings that record who goes in and out and when. If they need to, they can use it to quickly determine everyone that a person has had contact with in the building over a specific time period.

More
15 Oct 2020 17:03 #315199 by Gary Sax
Yes! That is real protection! My college alma mater is doing two tests a week on every student, faculty, or staff member and has bouncers at the entrances of all buildings who do not allow people in if they do not have their app that certifies they took their mandatory tests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Oct 2020 17:28 #315200 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: Yes! That is real protection! My college alma mater is doing two tests a week on every student, faculty, or staff member and has bouncers at the entrances of all buildings who do not allow people in if they do not have their app that certifies they took their mandatory tests.

My daughter's university's plan is, AFAICT, "Don't get sick." My old alma mater is, in theory, testing 10% of the on-campus students per week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Oct 2020 18:35 #315201 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: Question to the rest of you -- is this standard operating procedure? In a situation like this is the entire staff of the building notified of potential exposure, or is it limited to direct contact tracing?

No COVID in the country I am currently in, however when I was at Main State during the heyday any case would be reported to each of the Bureau executive directors via a generic email (one person on floor X, office Y who was last in on day Z). My executive director just forwarded those out. We could of course reach out if we felt there was any concern.

Of course they needed to investigate to determine if we fell under generic sick leave rules or workman's comp. If someone's expose to COVID was entirely from work (as mine would have been before I stopped going in) there would be more benefits (and no spending of banked sick leave). There was one point where I only left the apartment to jog or go to work.

More
15 Oct 2020 20:05 #315202 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
Blanket testing of otherwise asymptomatic people is foolish with the tests we currently have.

At my work if you have a positive contact or symptoms you get tested. If you are positive it is a 14 day quarantine. If you are negative it is a 10 day quarantine.

If you have some random symptoms not strongly tied to covid you still get a 10 day quarantine and they don't bother to test you.

So basically any passing contact or symptoms of any kind equals 10 days off work. You can decide whether folks are exploiting this or just not saying that they have mild symptoms because they don't want to miss work. It is a circus.

More
15 Oct 2020 21:44 #315210 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Yeah, that seems like an excessive overreaction. If it was early in the pandemic and contact tracing was thorough, it might have been a good approach. But even the best tests are unreliable, and the faster tests are even less reliable, so I agree that only people with symptoms should be getting tested right now. Maybe a really crucial individual like the President and his staff should get tested a lot, except that our reckless President apparently didn't isolate himself after testing positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds