MB
Michael Barnes
October 15, 2020
681 0
B
boardgameinquisition
October 15, 2020
472 0
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)

Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
15 Oct 2020 22:31 #315213 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
They changed ours to symptoms with fever, otherwise they’d be sending home everyone who had a headache and cleared their throat. As it is, those of us with autumn allergies are freaking the hell out of everyone else in the building.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2020 02:09 #315217 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
Here (NSW, Australia) it's: symptomatic, don't come to work, get tested, and you can't come in if it clears up or whatever, you still have to do the test (I work in a school and it's the same for the kids). Stay at home till the result comes in (usually 48 hours). If negative, back on deck, if not, 2 week quarantine, retest, etc.

If you've had a close contact it's 2 weeks regardless of your test and you have to test at the beginning and the end.

That's it, pretty much. I've had two tests. My son (7) had a test when he had the sniffles and a slight fever.

There are cleaners going around doing the surfaces. Our numbers are very low, mask wearing has pretty much dropped off completely. There are some odd things policy wise - like, for instance, there's lots of rules about staff social distancing but kids (including 18 year olds) are not under the same restrictions. Which... well. If things were worse, it would presumeably be updated.

Reading all these is very sad. Stay strong everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith

More
16 Oct 2020 04:41 #315223 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
There are no kids at school, anywhere in the country, and online teaching is full on. I have to go to the building to do online teaching and any symptoms means off to home teaching with a mandatory negative test before you can return but online teaching continues relatively seamlessly.

Gloves and masks are mandatory and no meetings unless they can be held safely.

Net result is I generally interact with nobody from 7 am to 230pm. So far, so good, maybe 4 staff tested positive but none of them had contact with their colleagues so no panic. Staff members off have to download a government app which calls you regularly (sometimes 6 times a day) requesting a selfie to prove that you are actually quarantining. If you don't answer, warnings are given eventually resulting with a police visit.

A few staff members have whinged about lack of oxygen (to be fair, you don't have to wear a mask when in your bubbled room) but they were quickly corrected with stern words from management involving stopping their pay etc etc. Now we have 100% mask wearing while moving around the campus.

Kids are very accepting and, on the whole, working at their courses from home reasonably successfully.

Winter is approaching, the traditional season of the sniffles, so I don't expect schools to open until around Marchish. As the academic year finishes in late May, I'm not sure it is even worth doing. Staff are getting far more confident at delivering material and students are getting better at self organising and getting work into 9 different subject teachers at different times.

Thank God for Google Classroom and Meet. I'm especially satisfied that my department has been using Google Classroom for 5 years while other departments have been forced into hitting the road running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, mc

More
16 Oct 2020 23:30 #315281 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
My sister teaches in a suburb of NYC and one of her students tested positive, but the school kept it a secret for over a week while the student attended class.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, BillyBobThwarton

More
17 Oct 2020 01:12 #315283 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote:
Thank God for Google Classroom and Meet. I'm especially satisfied that my department has been using Google Classroom for 5 years while other departments have been forced into hitting the road running.

Yeah, I had the same experience earlier in the year when we were doing remote learning. I've been using GC for a few years as have many of my colleagues, if only as a repository of resources, so it was a doddle really. Still glad to be be back in the classroom though. It's hard (especially with the kind of courses I teach) to get the energy going.

That NYC thing is insane.

More
17 Oct 2020 11:13 #315290 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Every now and then over the last few months, one of my better friends from my board game group and I would meet up for an outdoor drink at a local winery or brewery. It is one of the few "outside my inner circle" things I have done.

His one and only Kickstarter experience was pledging for the Rambo board game. This thing was like 2 years late and finally delivered. The minis look BAD. But the game sounded like it might be fun. We had tentatively set up for him to come over and play it tonight, just the two of us. Both of us have been very safe during this whole thing.

Yesterday he told me that the week prior, his wife had eaten outdoors with a coworker, who then tested positive. She herself hasn't felt ill in any way, but she didn't get tested. I canceled having my friend over to try out Rambo. It was disappointing, but after all I have sacrificed, I'm not sticking my neck out for Colonel Trautman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, n815e

More
17 Oct 2020 14:43 #315295 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
Damn, that RAMBO game doesn't look half bad. Its the same outfit that did BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA which was a nice package.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
17 Oct 2020 16:02 - 17 Oct 2020 16:03 #315298 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
True, but they also did a couple of other real stinkers, such as Coma Ward. Pretty sure every single one of their games has had major misprints, often shipping with printed sheets of errata in the box for a new release.

Rambo does look like it could be good though.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2020 16:03 by charlest.

More
17 Oct 2020 16:52 #315299 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Coma Ward is just a re-themed Betrayal at House on the Hill, and yet somehow the errata for the basic rule book (not the scenarios) is longer than the original rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
17 Oct 2020 17:49 #315301 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
I just read that AMC is starting to rent entire theaters to parties of up to 20.

That could be a way to see movies without as much worry.

More
17 Oct 2020 19:14 #315303 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: I just read that AMC is starting to rent entire theaters to parties of up to 20.

That could be a way to see movies without as much worry.

Assuming there are any movies worth seeing. Pretty much every major release keeps getting pushed out - Dune, No Time Time to Die. Wonder Woman is allegedly coming out in December, but I bet that gets pushed too. Sucks for theaters, it’s a game of chicken and egg really. Nobody goes because nothing major is showing, nothing gets released because nobody goes to theaters.

More
18 Oct 2020 09:58 #315311 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
Went to seaworld with the family yesterday. Park felt moderately crowded, but that was mostly because reduced attendance was amplified by equally reduced ride/show capacity. So me and my boy got a whole ride vehicle to ourselves when it could have fit 6 more. The frustrations of dealing with masks really outweighs the fun of going out, though the kiddoes really liked the animal shows, as heartbreaking as they are to watch. Most in attendance are statistically very unlikely to suffer any significant effects from COVID (kids, young to middle aged adults without comorbidities) but there were quite a few obese to morbidly obese folks, elderly, and folks on scooters (often all three in combination) where the risk/reward of a day at seaworld versus hospitalization from covid seems unbalanced IMHO. Still, adults can adult I suppose.

More
18 Oct 2020 18:02 #315320 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus
I wonder about how the economics of that (and all tourism frankly) work out. I guess with the parks built, the staff trained, and no future investments they just have to fill the O&M costs. I'm not sure I see it working out for two years though.

If I were a betting man, I guess we are all going to take a haircut in ten years time due to inflation from this pandemic. Couple that with the costs of climate change that we are already starting to see and we will all be making quite a few permanent adjustments to what we consider to be a normal life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
19 Oct 2020 07:35 #315337 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
Well, they are certainly cutting as much as possible (no parades, fireworks, fewer kiosks or several covered by one person, some shows cancelled) and maximizing food and trinket sales. But yeah, the third string local parks without a corporate master with deep pockets, other revenue streams, or the ability to push for a handout in a stimulus bill are gonna be WRECKED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
19 Oct 2020 10:30 #315339 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: My sister teaches in a suburb of NYC and one of her students tested positive, but the school kept it a secret for over a week while the student attended class.

Lat week, The Boy's school called and notified someone tested positive. Obviously, they did not name names, but they stated that sanitation protocols were utilized and that anyone in contact would be notified. We were not called after that, so it wasn't his year.

His school does hybrid. My son only goes to school on T-TH-and every other Fri. And to their credit, they CONSTANTLY call about everything. I'd rather be apprised of things, big or small, than not at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds