October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
04 Nov 2020 23:51 #315941 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Coronavirus
Today there were no cases acquired at all in Australia, but a few caught in quarantine from international travelers.

We are finally out of lockdown, and slowly getting our lives back together, with cafes and restaurants open to small numbers. I can go to the climbing gym next week which is a big relief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, mc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 01:09 #315942 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
You guys down there in VIC must be loving life after all that time!

It's been a week since there were any deaths in Aus and you have to go back to the beginning of September when there were more than 10 on a single day.

Many factors behind all this but I'm glad I'm here, and in a regional area at that. Life's been fairly normal for a long time.

Hope everything stays okay for everyone elsewhere...

More
05 Nov 2020 04:01 #315943 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Surprisingly we aren't really loving life. Everyone is still a bit damaged and very nervous from the whole experience of being locked up for 4 months and only taking very small steps outside. I still have hardly caught up with anyone and have only had a couple of excursions outside the house in the week or two since lockdown ended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Sagrilarus, mc, Ah_Pook

More
05 Nov 2020 14:59 #315966 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
Makes sense. Hopefully things stay good so that you can all come to terms with everything.

More
05 Nov 2020 16:04 - 05 Nov 2020 16:05 #315970 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Surprisingly we aren't really loving life. Everyone is still a bit damaged and very nervous from the whole experience of being locked up for 4 months and only taking very small steps outside. I still have hardly caught up with anyone and have only had a couple of excursions outside the house in the week or two since lockdown ended.

I'll tell you what, it took a couple of weeks after 9/11 to stop looking at jet airliners as missiles. And that was a one-day event. I can't imagine what four months of lockdown would feel like.

Are there people you can talk to for this kind of thing? That may be a question for everyone.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 16:05 by Sagrilarus.

More
05 Nov 2020 17:07 #315971 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am still seeing a counselor for grief and we have talked about this a bit.

It's weird how crowds make me a bit nervous. We had good weather on a public holiday and we went to the beach, but it was so crowded we instead hung out at a park near the beach where we could socially distance instead.

And everyone is waiting for others to make the first move on social engagement. You don't want to be a pushy jerk encouraging people to step outside their comfort zones because you want to see your friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, mc, n815e

More
06 Nov 2020 09:38 #315980 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I was hoping to be back in the gym by now, but Minnesota currently has 3x cases compared to the peak of the first wave here. Last night, I dreamed that I went to the gym, but the entire gym was shrunk down to one crowded spinning (stationary bike) room. I was embarrassed, because I realized that I forgot to wear a mask, but then I noticed that only a couple of people were wearing masks and that was even worse. Then I woke up to the sound of my cat puking on the bedroom floor.

I miss my friends and family, but it's quite tolerable because I am slightly introverted. My social bubble is actually just my department at work, and that's not really a social bubble because I never see any of them outside of work. But now that I have wrapped nearly all of my outdoor projects, I am getting out of shape and really want to go to the gym. And dancing with friends, but that may not happen until 2022. I do some exercise at home, but it will soon be painfully cold to go running. And body weight exercises like pushups and lunges can be really hard on my aging joints. I miss the gym because there were so many ways to exercise with weights ranging from nearly nothing to a multiple of my own weight. The gym has been open since July, but I just don't think it's safe enough yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
06 Nov 2020 09:45 #315981 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
I am going back to that mode where I strongly think and rethink about when I go out of the house. In the last few months, post the first AZ peak, I didn't go to optional places but I didn't really think twice about going to the store anymore or anything. That's probably going to have to change.

More
06 Nov 2020 10:33 #315982 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus
Update from La.

Phase 3 until December 4th. My son goes back to school full time next week, ending the hybrid model. I'm simply seeing more and more people not wearing masks/wearing them like chin guards. My city's running fine, despite Hurricane Zeta causing disruptions to the power grid. N.O. is still sitting in Phase 2.5, far more conservative than the rest of the state.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
06 Nov 2020 11:48 #315985 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
I see lockdowns being mentioned here but us in Western Europe have probably experienced it the most/worst, and fair enough since our death toll leads the world apart from the US and Brazil (and we all know the attitudes to enforcing or even participating in lockdowns there). Our (UK) first lockdown started mid-March and eased at the beginning of July, and now after trialling regional tiered restrictions in October we have a four week national lockdown (apart from essential work and education - don't get me going on that) that will likely be followed by regional tiered restrictions again.

I see Mumu talking about the long Melbourne lockdown, at least your infections were low enough for it to have been useful in clearing most of it up, ours is purely to protect the hospital system from being completely overrun - we will still have thousands of cases and {probably) dozens of deaths when it finishes. As an example our town of approx 220,000 has had 175 deaths (last official figure I saw), per capita that would equate to 4000 deaths in Melbourne and 3500 for New Zealand - and we are one of the least affected areas in the UK. I am genuinely happy that the death toll for my ANZAC family is so low.
This is going to be long, and slow, next two years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, mc

More
06 Nov 2020 22:19 #315991 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Third record day in a row for positives here.

More
07 Nov 2020 11:22 #315993 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Daily new cases in Minnesota have doubled since mid-week.

More
07 Nov 2020 12:51 #315995 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
I am happy to report that due to a *coff* changed political situation, I hope to return to the USA for a visit as soon as I can, at a point I consider it safe to do so.

At which point, I will be very happy to meet up with my US friends in NYC and elsewhere. Probably not this summer but hopefully the next one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jay718, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, themothman421

More
07 Nov 2020 13:52 #315997 by themothman421
Replied by themothman421 on topic Coronavirus
Yep, now I can at least be optimistic about our future, even though we are mired in the worst of this virus at the moment. Utah has had a hell week.

More
08 Nov 2020 09:39 #316002 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote: I will be very happy to meet up with my US friends in NYC and elsewhere. Probably not this summer but hopefully the next one.

Looking forward to it, Andy! It's been way too long...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ThirstyMan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds