October 09, 2023
2495 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
18 Nov 2020 13:01 #316279 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: Here is a post from my facebook feed, an old graduate student (probably ~30) at my previous institution that was in a bunch of my classes, etc:

"Today was supposed to be my wedding day. Instead [fiance's name] is in the hospital getting her oxygen levels up and I haven't seen her in two days. This really sucks and I just want everything to not be this way."

She died today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2020 13:06 #316280 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Our governor has just ordered a shutdown of gyms, bars, and restaurants. The bars and restaurants can still do carry-out and delivery orders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Nov 2020 13:14 #316282 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Here is a post from my facebook feed, an old graduate student (probably ~30) at my previous institution that was in a bunch of my classes, etc:

"Today was supposed to be my wedding day. Instead [fiance's name] is in the hospital getting her oxygen levels up and I haven't seen her in two days. This really sucks and I just want everything to not be this way."

She died today.

This may be the most bone-crushing post on this site, in three short words. Pressing the Thank You button feels completely inappropriate.

More
18 Nov 2020 14:09 #316293 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
I'll give you his facebook post on it and leave it at that:

"Every day I spent with [fiance's name] was the best day I ever had. I miss you. I love you."

More
18 Nov 2020 15:36 - 18 Nov 2020 15:37 #316303 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Coronavirus
That sucks.

It's weird. I thankfully have not had anyone in my near circle (or even facebook friends) die from COVID this year, but my parents are at the right age that a number of their friends (and one of them, my dad) died from other causes this year.

My dad.
My ex's grandmother.
One of my mom's best girlfriends.
One of my parents' best male friend, whose two sons live in Australia and the east coast.
My brother's ex's dad.

I only attended one of these funerals. Some were back in March/April and there wasn't a memorial at all.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 15:37 by Jexik.

More
18 Nov 2020 15:43 #316304 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I know pets aren't the same as family to many people, but I had to have my cat put down last month for cancer and it devastated me. I adopted her 10 years ago from a housemate who was cross-country moving and she was my Wilson during the lockdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Dr. Mabuse, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Pugnax555

More
18 Nov 2020 18:31 #316312 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

ChristopherMD wrote: I know pets aren't the same as family to many people, but I had to have my cat put down last month for cancer and it devastated me. I adopted her 10 years ago from a housemate who was cross-country moving and she was my Wilson during the lockdown.

I had to put down one of mine last month too. A rescue from the streets, he moved with me across three states and countless different apartments/houses. About 18, a good long life, but I was a wreck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
20 Nov 2020 15:47 #316385 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Something humorous to lighten the darkness a bit. At least, I find it funny.

I'm attending a conference next week about IT for courts/judicial. This year, due to COVID, it is being held remotely.

Most, if not all, attendees are state/federal judicial employees, so it is illegal for pretty much all the attendees to accept "gifts" worth more than a certain amount of money. When you go to a conference in person, there is usually free refreshments and cheap swag provided by various vendors. The individual refreshments and swag items are provided by different companies and are each well below the threshold of acceptable gifts, so everyone eats a few cookies, has a coffee or soft drink, and walks out with a few pens, a travel mug, and some other stupid crap with vendor logos printed on them. No big deal.

This year, however, since the conference is being held remotely, they are bundling all the swag and some snacks and offering to ship it to attendees. They keep sending out notices extending the deadline to "claim your conference gift," because no one is claiming them, because now the swag is called a "gift" and, when bundled together, it crosses the threshold value that many states have.

I find this situation humorously absurd for so many reasons, not least of which is that two people in my department claimed their gift without thinking it through, and now have to fill out a pile o' paperwork and return their little boxes o' trail mix and junky office supplies. We are laughing at them and mocking the situation, good-naturedly, via text and email, since we can't laugh manically in person in the lunch room. I feel there needs to be a good gif or meme for this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., bendgar, jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Hatchling, Msample, mezike, Pugnax555, mc, Ah_Pook

More
20 Nov 2020 17:33 #316389 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, Sacco, mc

More
23 Nov 2020 16:06 #316476 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
More dark humor.

We keep receiving emails at work admonishing us for too much "close contact" at work.

Last week they changed our contact tracing forms so that we now have to provide a reason why we had contact with any one we listed on the sheet, which I think is actually a pretty good deterrent considering how much we all hate the paper work. But I guess it wasn't enough of a deterrent, because today we were informed that the Judicial Marshalls have been directed to enforce compliance with the no close contact rules between employees. I would not want to be the Marshall that has to tell a Judge that they need to take a few steps back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
24 Nov 2020 04:16 #316495 by schlupp
Replied by schlupp on topic Coronavirus
In Germany we have a broad discussion how to deal with demonstrations of Corona denialists, a small, but very vocal group of anti-vaxxers, mystics, nazis and furious pensionists. In of the most recent demonstrations in Hanover, a 22-year old girl, Jana from Kassel, said that what she has to endure is comparable to what Sophie Scholl endured during the time of Nazi Germany:

The Postillion (comparable to the Onion) had this to say :laugh: :
"First Sophie-Scholl-School is renamed Jana-from-Kassel-School

Berlin (dpo) - Her courageous work against the dictatorship is an inspiration to many: We are of course talking about Jana (22) from Kassel, who caused a stir at a Querdenker (lateral thinking) demo in Hanover when she compared herself to Sophie Scholl. Now the first of many Sophie Scholl schools in Germany has taken the necessary steps and is renamed Jana from Kassel School.

"Up to now we thought there was nothing more courageous than to stand up against the Nazis in the Third Reich and pay with your life for it," explains school director Hans Gocht. "But after we saw the video of Jana from Kassel, who used her valuable free time to give speeches against the Corona measures for weeks, supervised Telegram chats, attended demos and distributed flyers, we spontaneously decided to rededicate our school. "

The previous motto of the school "School without Racism" should be changed accordingly in "Nazis are of course allowed to join us. We just don't want to exclude anyone.".

The memory of Jana from Kassel's priceless sacrifice should be kept alive by the school. "We're going to make annual school trips to that fateful spot in Hanover, where she was so viciously reprimanded by this one guy in the folder vest. Never again should something like this happen on German soil!"
"

Corona numbers are going down here, I think today we had about 13.000 new infections. We'll continue with restrictions until the end of year. Christmas and New Year's will be restricted to meetings with max 10 people and everybidy should self.isolate before visiting family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Hatchling, san il defanso, mezike, Nodens

More
24 Nov 2020 11:48 - 24 Nov 2020 11:48 #316498 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
We're traveling for Thanksgiving! Let me tell you how to do it:
1. Drive. Don't fly or take a train or boat, that's insane.
2. Don't actually visit anyone, that's insane. We're going to a cabin. It's just us. It's even less us than usual, as my in-laws won't be there.
3. Have a cleaning plan. We anticipate having to use a restroom at least once on the trip (5 hr drive). We're bringing wipes, sprays, emollients, unguents, lathers, foams, creams and oils. Maybe wrap the whole room in plastic, we'll see.
4. When we arrive, cleaning plan #2 comes into play. the place has been cleaned, but has it been cleaned? I will set up boric acid misters while Hadar sets the whole place on fire. Assuming the cabin is still there, the kids will be invited in.
5. Wash hands.
6. Wear a mask.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Last edit: 24 Nov 2020 11:48 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

More
24 Nov 2020 12:01 #316501 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
Two weeks ago my county was in the “yellow” tier (least restrictive). Then last Monday we jumped up, skipping over Orange and landing right in red. Yesterday we went up to the most restrictive tier, purple.

People got bored and traveled. And they had parties. Thanks everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Nov 2020 12:43 #316505 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
My normal Thanksgiving: A local dance venue hosts an '80s dance every Wednesday night, with a popular local DJ spinning music and showing the matching music videos on big screens. The night before Thanksgiving is always a big turnout, and sometimes the event is in a bigger venue. I have gone with friends every night before Thanksgiving for the last 9 years. Thanksgiving day is always hosted by one of my local aunts or uncles on my dad's side of the family, and we usually have nearly 20 people there. My girlfriend helps her mom cook their Thanksgiving feast, and brings me some leftovers when she gets home.

My 2020 pandemic Thanksgiving: Home alone. My girlfriend is sheltering alone elsewhere, as her immune system is not strong and I meet with too many people at work in a normal week. She will do a Zoom call with her family, because her mother is a nurse and therefore way too risky for her to see in person. I will get some exercise in the morning by cutting up some wood and going for a run, play Blackstone Fortress in the afternoon, and watch a couple of movies on the big screen that night.

The good news is that the '80s dance thing is still sort of happening tomorrow night, from 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM CST, and anybody reading this can sort of attend A Totally '80s Thanksgiving (eve) at: twitch.tv/djjakerudh
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

More
24 Nov 2020 13:28 #316510 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Coronavirus
In Toronto we've entered "lockdown", which means all but essential services and elementary schools are closed. But the lockdown is scheduled to lift a few days before Christmas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds