October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
24 Nov 2020 14:45 #316513 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
We just reserved word that we are going on the absolute minimum on-site staff required to keep the courts running. On Monday, I start full time remote work until Jan 4.

Regarding Travel. I had some friends who had to travel quite a distance to deal with elderly parent issues. These things happen. They rented a small RV with a toilet, loaded it up with food and supplies, and drove it to FL. Only stopped for gas and to sleep. Where there's a will (and the money) there's a way. It was quite an undertaking, and quite expensive. It just makes me crazy that there are people that really have to travel for very serious reasons, and they go through so much to do it as safely as possible, and then there are all these bozos packing into airports, and each other's homes for Thanksgiving. Things are going to get so bad in a couple of weeks they will need another color for the maps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2020 15:45 #316517 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
They're closing our offices, and all of us here in Columbus will be working from home full-time now. This was mostly because layoffs due to "rebalancing" the company's workforce left us with too much space and not enough people, but Covid didn't help. Actually, I'm perfectly fine with that - I don't miss the commute, and I'm used to all meetings going through Zoom now. I miss my coworkers, but most of the ones I like got shitcanned anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Nov 2020 15:48 #316518 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Our semester is done, finals this week, so I don't really have to see anyone till late January. But we're sending our plague children home which is kind of exactly what you don't want to happen right now. On the other hand, they're testing at vastly lower rates than the general population testing in AZ so it's probably not the end of the world.

More
24 Nov 2020 16:28 #316519 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Three of my facebook friends have been getting into a lot of arguments with randos lately about the pandemic. Based on today's activity, it appears that the current far right-wing talking point about the virus is that any bad news about ICU shortages or rising numbers of infections and death is just fear-mongering by Big Pharma to sell more vaccines. That neatly absolves them of any concern about infecting family members on Thanksgiving.

More
24 Nov 2020 16:39 #316520 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
I guess they didn't get the memo that the vaccine will be free to everyone.

More
24 Nov 2020 19:20 #316523 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: We just reserved word that we are going on the absolute minimum on-site staff required to keep the courts running. On Monday, I start full time remote work until Jan 4.

Regarding Travel. I had some friends who had to travel quite a distance to deal with elderly parent issues. These things happen. They rented a small RV with a toilet, loaded it up with food and supplies, and drove it to FL. Only stopped for gas and to sleep. Where there's a will (and the money) there's a way. It was quite an undertaking, and quite expensive. It just makes me crazy that there are people that really have to travel for very serious reasons, and they go through so much to do it as safely as possible, and then there are all these bozos packing into airports, and each other's homes for Thanksgiving. Things are going to get so bad in a couple of weeks they will need another color for the maps.

I have had to make three trips out to Detroit from NH over the last several months and drove all three times. Granted, I have the luxury of time that others may not have, but fuck flying.

More
24 Nov 2020 22:22 #316532 by Shellhead
A 2020 Thanksgiving mood:

Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2020 10:20 #316544 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus

Msample wrote:

ubarose wrote: ... and then there are all these bozos packing into airports, and each other's homes for Thanksgiving. Things are going to get so bad in a couple of weeks they will need another color for the maps.

I have had to make three trips out to Detroit from NH over the last several months and drove all three times. Granted, I have the luxury of time that others may not have, but fuck flying.

My sister is a flight attendant, and according to her the planes are much safer than people think. The filters they have that constantly scrub and circulate the air are very effective. Everyone working the flight is tested frequently. It's mainly just a mental thing. Also, the airports have been pretty vacant, so it's easy to maintain safe distance.

I'm certainly not advocating for anyone to fly unless absolutely necessary, but it's not a flying metal tube of 'Rona.

I do agree with Ubarose that two weeks after Thanksgiving is going to be really, really ugly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames

More
25 Nov 2020 10:32 #316547 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Coronavirus
I know it is pretty small potatoes compared to the very real struggles many are facing, but we have been informed at work that everyone will need to be fitted for N95 masks. I have not been clean shaven since I could grow facial hair and have had a pretty burly beard for decades. Guess Thanksgiving will be a time to see what lies under the beard!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, boothwah

More
25 Nov 2020 10:35 #316548 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus

Gregarius wrote: I do agree with Ubarose that two weeks after Thanksgiving is going to be really, really ugly.

I've been told that THREE weeks after will be the real indicator, because that is when the people who get a bad case would theoretically end up in the hospital. Either way, I think we will be witnessing some shit.

More
25 Nov 2020 10:40 #316549 by RobertB
Yep. Stuff I read said that the fatalities on Christmas will have caught it about now.

More
25 Nov 2020 10:55 #316550 by Shellhead

edulis wrote: I know it is pretty small potatoes compared to the very real struggles many are facing, but we have been informed at work that everyone will need to be fitted for N95 masks. I have not been clean shaven since I could grow facial hair and have had a pretty burly beard for decades. Guess Thanksgiving will be a time to see what lies under the beard!

Maybe you will be fine. Here is the actor who played Tormund on Game of Thrones, with and without a beard:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
25 Nov 2020 10:58 #316552 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Gregarius wrote: My sister is a flight attendant, and according to her the planes are much safer than people think. The filters they have that constantly scrub and circulate the air are very effective. Everyone working the flight is tested frequently. It's mainly just a mental thing. Also, the airports have been pretty vacant, so it's easy to maintain safe distance.

I've been seeing pictures of crowded airports that concern me. I'm guessing that many of the people are also college students (or as Gary Sax calls them Plague Children) returning home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames

More
25 Nov 2020 11:30 #316555 by RobertB
"Always catch a cold when I get on an airplane" is a thing. It could be human nature playing correlation-as-causation games, but maybe not. I'm just glad I'm not getting on a plane.

More
25 Nov 2020 11:57 #316557 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Word I've gotten is that the planes in flight are safe, but the gate/cabin load-in and load-out are a mess.

The air in airplanes during flight is dry as sin and that can dry out your lungs. The result is that your lungs are more susceptible to infection after the flight for a period of time. This has been a known issue with influenza for years.

So the trick is to get off of that plane and run like hell as fast as you can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds