October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
14 Dec 2020 15:51 #317181 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
California has an 84-page document detailing its distribution plan, with accounting for supply constraints, location logistics, and detailed steps for its 61-health jurisdictions to model and follow.

www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%2...terim-Draft_V1.0.pdf

In many ways, California functions as an independent nation-state with its own federated states (usually counties, here: jurisdictions) simply due to its immense size, geographically and economically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2020 16:53 #317184 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Coronavirus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, birdman37, the_jake_1973, Ah_Pook

More
14 Dec 2020 17:22 #317186 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
This is the UK's vaccine priority list:
1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3. all those 75 years of age and over
4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals[footnote 1]
5. all those 65 years of age and over
6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
7. all those 60 years of age and over
8. all those 55 years of age and over
9. all those 50 years of age and over

But we have four separate nation regions in the UK that are each doing their own thing so no different to your separate states doing their own thing.

More
14 Dec 2020 19:30 #317188 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Today my mom tried to guilt trip me when I told her I was skipping Christmas. I explained to her that I already skipped Thanksgiving and things aren't any different now.

I don't need this kind of shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Pugnax555, Ah_Pook

More
14 Dec 2020 21:39 #317189 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
It's hard, man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
14 Dec 2020 21:45 #317190 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
Tell her you're going to party so FUCKING HARD once this vaccine derrrrOPS
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
15 Dec 2020 11:15 #317201 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
The CT plan has people who work in schools pretty early in the list, which means Al and Zoe could be vaccinated as early as February or March. I’m way down at the very bottom of the list, which looks like my number won’t be called until this summer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
15 Dec 2020 11:41 - 15 Dec 2020 11:42 #317204 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
Is anyone else worried about household members being vaccinated at different times?

My wife is an elementary teacher and currently teaching remotely. If she gets vaccinated and then returns to school, while she may be protected my daughter and I will be at more risk than pre-vaccine now since we're currently all at home.

I understand the AstraZeneca vaccine is said to inhibit transmission, but I have heard that is not the case in the other leading candidates.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2020 11:42 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
15 Dec 2020 11:48 #317206 by ubarose
Our situation is that Al and Zoe are not working remotely, so vaccinated or not, they are still going in to work. Since the students won’t be vaccinated until this summer at the earliest, all the current precautions and procedures will remain in place. So for us nothing really changes other than, hopefully, Al and Zoe are more protected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
15 Dec 2020 16:39 #317216 by southernman

charlest wrote: Is anyone else worried about household members being vaccinated at different times?

My wife is an elementary teacher and currently teaching remotely. If she gets vaccinated and then returns to school, while she may be protected my daughter and I will be at more risk than pre-vaccine now since we're currently all at home.

I understand the AstraZeneca vaccine is said to inhibit transmission, but I have heard that is not the case in the other leading candidates.

That is interesting that teaching staff are being vaccinated early. In the UK is is being used purely to protect the more vulnerable rather than to inhibit transmission, as it's not only the high death rate that needs prevented but also the more vulnerable filling up the hospitals as they succumb to the disease and thus bringing all non-covid hospital services to a halt.
So it is starting with the very vulnerable, along with frontline healthcare staff (a nurse dies very recently, the 204th frontline healthworker to die from covid), and then working done in tranches finishing at 50-55 - at that point that is meant to have done about one third of the country.

More
15 Dec 2020 18:00 #317217 by ubarose
Healthcare workers, first responders, the elderly and people in long term care facilities are getting it first.

Teachers and childcare workers are included in phase 1b, which also includes prisons, group homes, food service and grocery workers, people over 65, people with high risk who are under 65.

I think phase 2 is other essential workers.

Phase 3 is every one under 65 who isn't any of the above.

Bottomline is that there are some essential workers who are more essential and are in contact with more people than others.

More
15 Dec 2020 18:04 #317218 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
Of course we're already seeing various industries jockeying to get to the front of the line for vaccines. Longshoremen ( yeah I can see that, keep goods flowing ) . Airline employees ( saying they are needed to fly vaccines ) - um, you don't need that many people to fly vaccines .

Its gonna be a shit show.

I'm pretty low down on the priority list so I've resigned myself to being towards the back of the line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
15 Dec 2020 18:20 - 15 Dec 2020 18:22 #317220 by southernman

ubarose wrote: Healthcare workers, first responders, the elderly and people in long term care facilities are getting it first.

Teachers and childcare workers are included in phase 1b, which also includes prisons, group homes, food service and grocery workers, people over 65, people with high risk who are under 65.

I think phase 2 is other essential workers.

Phase 3 is every one under 65 who isn't any of the above.

Bottomline is that there are some essential workers who are more essential and are in contact with more people than others.

Interesting that the US is including a lot of people who come into contact with the public although they may not be in a high risk group, especially when it is unknown if it actually inhibits transmission.
The UK is purely concentrating on at risk groups, in decreasing priority, and healthcare staff (who are dying on the frontline). The mortality stats for the year in the UK shows that if you're under 45 with no underlying health issues you have a very low probability of dying from the disease:

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Dec 2020 18:22 by southernman.

More
15 Dec 2020 18:25 #317221 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
The business that I work for has three owners. I report directly to all three of them. Two are a married couple approaching retirement age and the third owner is my age and originally from China. He has always taken this pandemic seriously, dating back to early January, because he still has family back in China. The married owners are Republicans who gradually drifted right as the party became less moderate, so they have dragged their feet at times about safety precautions. They stayed home from work for a couple of months last spring, but have been back in the office ever since. Their mask usage has been on the lax side of adequate...

Until now. Two weeks ago, the female owner's mother tested positive for COVID-19, and she lives in a nursing home a few states away. Now our married owners are very serious about wearing masks, and more vigilant about who is wearing masks around them. I feel like more and more Americans will come around in the next couple of months as people they know personally get sick.

More
15 Dec 2020 19:05 #317222 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: I feel like more and more Americans will come around in the next couple of months as people they know personally get sick.

My mom was kind of in the “oh, it’s overblown media hype” camp until one of her acquaintances died from COVID. Took exactly one week to go from perfectly healthy, no preexisting conditions or comorbidities, to dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds