October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
29 Jan 2021 15:13 - 29 Jan 2021 15:14 #318545 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
I am very much on board with the J&J/Jannsen vaccine too, so far. I would like to know more about the impact of chronic disease, if any. The number one goal is
1. Not dying.

But there are other goals, like
2. Unimpaired lung function
3. No persistent vascular damage
4. Smelling still works

...and so forth. The word so far is it's 100% effective at preventing death, so good on #1. How are we doing on the others?
Last edit: 29 Jan 2021 15:14 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2021 16:49 #318551 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: I really hate that we are facing a major crisis as 50 small countries instead of one great nation.

This is an interesting quote for someone outside the US who has studied US history.

I hope all at risk and in quarantine are doing well.

Great to see the discussion here turned to vaccines, isn't it though?

More
31 Jan 2021 21:58 #318624 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Coronavirus
I agree with Shellhead about the fragmentation of the US.

I just ordered some certified kn95 masks for my daughter who attends face to face high school four days a week.

It has been a year and information about masks feels all over the place. I've started double masking.

More
31 Jan 2021 22:44 #318629 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

CranBerries wrote: It has been a year and information about masks feels all over the place. I've started double masking.

The initial messaging about masks was bad, because there was a fear that people would horde masks the same way they were hording toilet paper, leaving medical workers unprotected. Then even after the message changed about masks, one of our two major political parties decided to make masks into a political issue instead of a public safety issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Gregarius

More
31 Jan 2021 23:35 #318631 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
I've heard the movement toward surgical+fabric masks too. It makes sense with how contagious the new variants are.

More
01 Feb 2021 10:24 #318642 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus
There was some official on Meet the Press on Sunday who addressed the double masking thing. He said the problem is the fit, not the mask. The metaphor he used (he actually had a LOT of metaphors in his interview, which was fun) was with swim goggles: they leak around the edges, not at the front plastic. When you double-mask, you have twice as much fabric, but you increase the chance of a loose fit around the edges where it really matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2021 14:02 #318658 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jay718, Jackwraith, hotseatgames

More
01 Feb 2021 14:04 - 01 Feb 2021 14:05 #318659 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus

JoelCFC25 wrote: Accordingly, my wife got an email last night from the superintendent that 123 slots have been allocated to the district and they are choosing to prioritize preschool and early primary grades. If she gets a slot she'll get another email this week, apparently.

To close the loop on this: she did get included in the priority group, then got an email from the state allowing her into the online system to book a slot.

Unfortunately, a couple high school principals in St Paul ignored the directives and shared the private link with family and friends outside of the priority groups, who in turn shared it on further. So the system was overrun with people who were never meant to be in it (i.e., non-educators), and she didn't get an appointment--ended up on the waiting list.

So until we get to wider availability/distribution, these Hunger Games episodes will probably continue.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 14:05 by JoelCFC25.

More
01 Feb 2021 15:28 - 01 Feb 2021 15:50 #318672 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Gregarius wrote: There was some official on Meet the Press on Sunday who addressed the double masking thing. He said the problem is the fit, not the mask. The metaphor he used (he actually had a LOT of metaphors in his interview, which was fun) was with swim goggles: they leak around the edges, not at the front plastic. When you double-mask, you have twice as much fabric, but you increase the chance of a loose fit around the edges where it really matters.

So I'm double-masking well-made cloth masks with double interfacing over top of KN-95s and I have no doubt I am getting better filtering than either one on its own. The cloth masks helps the paper mask stay put and hug my cheeks. Additionally, it keeps it cleaner longer so that my family of six doesn't need to order them in bulk every two weeks. I don't know who the official was, but my own experience has made it pretty clear to me that it's an appropriate strategy, one that helps keep better quality masks in stock for other purchasers.

I don't have a fancy metaphor for any of this. I usually do. I'm pretty good with metaphors and on good days I can work in a solid double-entendre or even an oxymoron. But honestly, I got nothing.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 15:50 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
01 Feb 2021 18:19 #318691 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Coronavirus

jeb wrote: Tough read, but a good read.

www.jayamcsharma.com/new-blog/2021/1/28/full-of-sound-and-fury

That was intense; thank you, Jeb.

More
01 Feb 2021 18:30 #318692 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

jeb wrote: Tough read, but a good read.

www.jayamcsharma.com/new-blog/2021/1/28/full-of-sound-and-fury

It's possible that my sister works at the same hospital. I just sent the link to her.

More
01 Feb 2021 18:59 #318695 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

JoelCFC25 wrote:

JoelCFC25 wrote: Accordingly, my wife got an email last night from the superintendent that 123 slots have been allocated to the district and they are choosing to prioritize preschool and early primary grades. If she gets a slot she'll get another email this week, apparently.

To close the loop on this: she did get included in the priority group, then got an email from the state allowing her into the online system to book a slot.

Unfortunately, a couple high school principals in St Paul ignored the directives and shared the private link with family and friends outside of the priority groups, who in turn shared it on further. So the system was overrun with people who were never meant to be in it (i.e., non-educators), and she didn't get an appointment--ended up on the waiting list.

So until we get to wider availability/distribution, these Hunger Games episodes will probably continue.

Fuck those principals, they ought to lose their jobs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2021 19:53 #318698 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Presumably the teacher's union is raking these guys over the coals?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
02 Feb 2021 22:47 #318771 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
If anyone has a link to surgical masks that they like, I would appreciate it. I tried to order some do that AL and Zoe can double mask at school, but was overwhelmed by the number of choices, and discouraged by the number of reviews that said they were crap and ripped or broke immediately upon putting them on.

More
03 Feb 2021 00:57 #318773 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Coronavirus
Back in March, my wife made me some masks -- they have a double layer where the side is open and you can insert a filter (or additional layer) if you want, come back almost to the ears and the elastic makes it fit tight around the nose and under the chin. Elastic fits around the head like an N95 mask and not over the ears, which I think helps with a snug fit. With a carbon filter insert, they begin to approach some of the filtered masks like an N95, etc.

I believe that she got the pattern from the NYT. They are better than any mask (cloth or surgical) that we have found out in the wild (my experience is those do break too easily).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.546 seconds