GS
Gary Sax
February 23, 2021
341 0
O
oliverkinne
February 23, 2021
331 0
Bugs Update: Recent Topics & Main Menu (11 Dec 2020)

Main Menu drop down bug has been fixed. You may need to clear your cache to pick up the new code.
Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
22 Feb 2021 12:09 #319452 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

charlest wrote: The vaccine is believed now to help substantially in reducing the spread.

www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/...-israeli-study%3famp

That study is getting a lot of push-back in the medical community because Israel went on heavy lockdown at the same time. So I think there's still need for caution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2021 12:09 #319453 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: There have been great articles on the fact that those that have been vaccinated are not immune, and are almost assuredly still vectors for the disease. So the "we're welcome for Spring Break" part of your response is one of the things concerning me most.

I agree there is a lot yet to learned with enough certainty to guide behavior--there does seem to be cause for optimism about the impacts on spreading from this Israeli data from recipients of the Pfizer vaccine (disclaimer: didn't fully engage with the articles or the primary research source, it may well be more nuanced).

My father-in-law especially has been very careful this past year. He doesn't want any part of going to any spring training baseball while they're down there, and while I expect they'll likely socialize outdoors with their neighbors, they won't be going to restaurants and doing all the things they'd normally do down there. My strong hunch is that they'll stop well short of "reckless abandon" even though they're vaccinated now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
22 Feb 2021 12:11 - 22 Feb 2021 12:11 #319454 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Yeah, I wasn't trying to counter your message, just present some nuance. If I had unvaccinated old or immunocompromised people in my sphere I def wouldn't be going to breakfast next week.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 12:11 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Feb 2021 12:28 #319456 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
We found out our bubble is .... more like a honeycomb kind of thing? It's not been great. We bubbled up with my in-laws and brother-in-law back in April, when all that was getting settled. We've been going there weekly, birthdays together, &c. My MIL is immunocompromised (CLL) so we've been as careful as we can. Masking (now double-masking) outside the house, no travel, except when we went as unit to a cabin. No sports, no clubs, no restaurants, no extraneous anything.

They had dinner with my wife's aunt. She's not sure she's going to get vaccinated, to give you an idea of how she lives her life. Ooookay, so we can't see them for six days to wait out incubation. So they miss our eldest's birthday. In the wake of all this, we find out my brother-in-law has been going to a fencing bubble with four other people, indoors, without masks, weekly, for months. He lives with his parents. He lives with his immunocompromised mother. Someone in that fencing pool is on a testing regimen (or was, until they got pregnant), but what the fuuuuck?

I was at Trader Joe's and the restaurant that shares the parking lot was packed. Just packed with young (i.e., non-vaxxed) folks. Tables 6' apart to the inch, under a big tarp.

What the fuck am I even bothering for?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
22 Feb 2021 13:00 #319460 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I haven’t seen another human being socially F2F except Zoe and Al in 6 months, other than to drop off a birthday gift at my neighbor’s in November (outdoors, 10 feet away with masks, for less than 15 minutes).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2021 13:11 #319461 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
The other day a "friend" of mine called and told me that he and his wife BOTH turned down the vaccine (they are teachers). I fucking lost it and went off on him.

He said "we had a difference of opinion". I wanted to set him on fire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb

More
22 Feb 2021 16:45 - 22 Feb 2021 16:47 #319473 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

hotseatgames wrote: The other day a "friend" of mine called and told me that he and his wife BOTH turned down the vaccine (they are teachers). I fucking lost it and went off on him.

He said "we had a difference of opinion". I wanted to set him on fire.

Darwin has a chapter for him ... a short one :whistle: .

Saw a great meme the other week - "For all those who think the vaccine will change their DNA, look at it as an opportunity"
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 16:47 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames

More
25 Feb 2021 18:08 #319741 by ubarose
Al and Zoe got signed up today for their first dose in March. Al's mom has an appointment for her first dose. The other four of my parents received their second dose. *sigh of relief*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Feb 2021 18:15 #319743 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
My mother is done with both doses, and my father will be done next week. In an extremely fortunate turn of events, I actually fell into my first dose yesterday. Hopefully I'm equally lucky in getting my second dose.

I am not exaggerating to say that the feeling of relief after getting the shot is palpable. I feel like a year of stress just fell off of me. I hope everyone can feel this soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
25 Feb 2021 18:17 #319744 by Gary Sax
I went to Costco yesterday and didn't even have to think about it besides new normal precautions.

I know it hurts for all the people waiting to hear about this, but it is a complete emotional shift, and I hope everyone gets their second shot as soon as possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
25 Feb 2021 19:22 #319750 by ubarose
@Gary Sax
I’m happy for you. My Dad was so happy just be able to go for a walk with his friends yesterday morning. So enjoy your Costco moment.

More
26 Feb 2021 09:54 #319779 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
So I haven't been keeping up with vaccinations in the US, has the US had a massive supply of vaccine shipped over the country in the last couple of months that is enabling under 40s to get jabbed now (I'm making the assumption that Hotseat is under 40) ? The UK is motoring through vaccinations (18m done out of population of around 66m) but we have only got down to first jabs for the over 60s recently, with all over 50s done by mid-April.

More
26 Feb 2021 10:10 #319787 by Gary Sax
No, but we have a system where people in certain professions go first depending on the state. That's why I got one, my state had educators quite high in priorities. There's been a lot of debate over whether this has been a good idea since it makes administration slightly more difficult than just an age criteria.

We are at 13-14% of the population, so not doing as well. But it makes sense since the NHS structure, regardless of its other merits or demerits, is kind of an ideal system administratively and practically to mass administer vaccine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
26 Feb 2021 10:12 #319788 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

southernman wrote: So I haven't been keeping up with vaccinations in the US, has the US had a massive supply of vaccine shipped over the country in the last couple of months that is enabling under 40s to get jabbed now (I'm making the assumption that Hotseat is under 40) ? The UK is motoring through vaccinations (18m done out of population of around 66m) but we have only got down to first jabs for the over 60s recently, with all over 50s done by mid-April.

So far, only 14% of Americans have gotten at least one dose, and only 6% are fully vaccinated so far:

www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-hea...tributed%20to%20them .

There are some production bottlenecks, but distribution is also a big challenge, because we are handling this pandemic like 50 small countries instead of one big nation. Thousands of doses have been wasted, and many undeserving folks have jumped the line. My state has finally gotten somewhat organized within the last two weeks. People can sign up at the state department of health website to get notified when they are eligible for an available vaccination in their area, and the state will send a text message and email. Here is the current timeline, based on age and other factors:

scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...71a01e56&oe=605EBBDC

More
26 Feb 2021 10:21 #319791 by ubarose
@Southernman

No massive new supply here in Connecticut that is allowing the under 40 to get vaccinated. However, vaccination of school workers starts March 1, so Al and Zoe have signed up, but don’t have an appointment yet.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds