October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2684 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
10 May 2021 19:06 #323021 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

RobertB wrote: I used to be needle-phobic, but 6 weeks in the hospital broke me of that. As good as I can be now, but was no fun then.

As for shot reactions, Moderna laid me and my daughter out. Sorry I gave you my immune system, honey.

Origins is now Oct 30 - Nov 3. Buckeye Game Fest, in Columbus, will be in April of 2022. WBC is cancelled for 2021. My local game club may reopen in July.

My brothers and family came to visit this weekend. First relaxed gathering with them in 14 months. We're all vaccinated now.

Bummer WBC got cancelled, but not surprising. PA had announced that all restrictions would be lifted as of May 31st...except masks. That would still be in effect til PA hits 70% vaccination. Right now they are just above 50% and as everyone has no doubt read, vaccinations are starting to really slow down. While WBC gave no specific one reason for cancelling, I suspect dealing with masks would be a prime factor if any sort of mask mandate were still in place. People would either not attend due to not wanting to wear a mask , or worse show up and not wear one, putting GMs and organizers into the unfortunate position of enforcing it. The lack of foreign attendees as well as kids not being able to be vaccinated no doubt played a part as well.

We'll see about Origins and GenCon. They are later so on the one hand, theoretically more people will be vaccinated. However last year both got cancelled about three months out IIRC, so there is still time for organizers to pull the plug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 20:02 #323022 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus

RobertB wrote:
Origins is now Oct 30 - Nov 3.

Their site says Sept 30 to Oct 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
10 May 2021 21:16 #323024 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus

hotseatgames wrote:

RobertB wrote:
Origins is now Oct 30 - Nov 3.

Their site says Sept 30 to Oct 3.

Ah....oops.

More
11 May 2021 10:55 #323042 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
J&J shot Sunday 11:00am
Sick in bed from Monday 9:00am to Tuesday 8:00am
Feel fine now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries, n815e

More
11 May 2021 18:17 #323057 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Coronavirus
I have been scraping articles about Covid mutations and putting them in an ad-free blog along with a banal sentence or two. I'm too lazy to actually write anything, so I don't even get ad revenue.

www.supermutantvirus.com

I just wanted to do something with the domain name.

On another note:

A friend of mine said the following:

"If I'm vaccinated, then I'm kind of done worrying about people who can't be bothered to be vaccinated because they've watched too much Fox news. So why should I wear a mask at this point?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, n815e

More
11 May 2021 22:21 #323060 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
There are very good reasons to continue to wear masks.
There are people who are immuno-compromised that can’t be vaccinated.
There are people that are allergic to the vaccine and can’t get it.
Children can’t get it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
11 May 2021 22:46 #323061 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Also, cancer survivors get less efficacy from a Covid vaccine, and it's even worse with lymphoma or leukemia.

news.cancerconnect.com/treatment-care/co...-vaccines-and-cancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, n815e

More
11 May 2021 22:46 #323062 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
Also the vaccine isn’t 100% effective.

That said, it’s important to follow public health guidance both ways. I read a news report on town in the NE where the populace is voting in massively stricter controls than are currently recommended. Keeping schools closed, mandatory outdoor mask mandates, etc. Paranoia? Lockdown fetish? Dunno. Either way it undermines the norm of listening to the best-informed experts. (I don’t have an issue with someone personally choosing to follow stricter hygiene measures for themselves, but enforcing them on others when the science says it’s not necessary … no thanks.)

Right now where I am, public health says we can be mask-free in a almost any situation provided everyone is vaccinated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
11 May 2021 23:50 #323065 by Shellhead

dysjunct wrote: Right now where I am, public health says we can be mask-free in a almost any situation provided everyone is vaccinated.

Right now, that would only apply to situations where you know everybody personally and know that you can trust them. There are already people buying and selling fake vaccination cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
12 May 2021 16:12 #323072 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
Work has announced their upcoming redesign of the workspaces. They expect most people to have at last some work-from-home scheduled. Nobody will have a desk assigned to them. They're going with "neighborhoods" instead. You put any personal belongings in a locker then sit at any available desk in your departments neighborhood that lets you socially distance. Not sure how much effect it will have but at least they keep trying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
12 May 2021 16:25 #323073 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: Work has announced their upcoming redesign of the workspaces. They expect most people to have at last some work-from-home scheduled. Nobody will have a desk assigned to them. They're going with "neighborhoods" instead. You put any personal belongings in a locker then sit at any available desk in your departments neighborhood that lets you socially distance. Not sure how much effect it will have but at least they keep trying.

That should be workable. CPA firms started doing something similar with their auditors more than 20 years ago. They realized that auditors were out of the office so often that they could save money on office space and desks by doing away with assigned desks. All the auditors were using laptops anyway, so they just needed outlets, a chair, and a desk or table where they could spread out some workpapers.

More
12 May 2021 22:13 - 13 May 2021 08:59 #323083 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

ChristopherMD wrote: Work has announced their upcoming redesign of the workspaces. They expect most people to have at last some work-from-home scheduled. Nobody will have a desk assigned to them. They're going with "neighborhoods" instead. You put any personal belongings in a locker then sit at any available desk in your departments neighborhood that lets you socially distance. Not sure how much effect it will have but at least they keep trying.

I did this for years. I was a consultant for a big IT company and on any given day four or five of the twenty-five of us might be in the office. So there was one big room called the bullpen which had that crappy modular furniture wrapped around the outside walls. In a pinch you grabbed a place in the middle.

I learned to always carry a mini-hub with me and a couple of cat-5s because on a day when more people were in there you had to get creative with the connections.
Last edit: 13 May 2021 08:59 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 May 2021 22:55 #323087 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
Fucking FIRED UP because we got appointments for my 12yo and 15yo. Just one left! He'll be done in about September or so when it gets EUA for 2yo and up.

Man we are so close to being on the other side of this let's goooooo
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, dysjunct, RobertB, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Msample, hotseatgames, Nodens, n815e

More
13 May 2021 10:39 #323093 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
Starting on May 26th and running for five Wednesdays, Ohio is raffling off ONE MILLION DOLLARS (Dr. Evil finger in corner of mouth) to any adult resident who has had at least one jab. Minors can win a full-ride four-year scholarship to a public university. It sounds crazy, but I'd bet it's cheaper than the hospital stays the additional vaccine will hopefully prevent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
13 May 2021 10:47 #323094 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
I of course am hoping to win a million dollars just for being sensible, but I really think they went overboard with this. I'll bet you could encourage more vaccinations with as little as $1000 and hand it out to a LOT more people.

It's a sad state of affairs that people need to be bribed to do the right thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, sornars, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds