October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
11 Jun 2021 17:44 #323918 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Coronavirus
I love you Old Sag. Feel better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Hatchling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2021 16:42 #323936 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Today I attended a memorial service for an old friend of the family who died of Covid last year, on Christmas Eve. Surprisingly, it was very much like an ordinary funeral. I kind of expected something more uplifting since it had been 6 months. Instead the preacher informed us all that we might die this afternoon, and by default we were going to Hell. No one mentioned Covid at all.

On the way home I got to hear my dad spout off crackpot theories about how Obama is the Shadow President. I need a drink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens, n815e

More
12 Jun 2021 16:58 #323937 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Those are real tough, hotseat, I sympathize. We had a similar thing last month listening to my spouse's grandmother tell us all these covid conspiracy theories. It's either throw down for no reason with some old person who won't listen or just nod and be like "I think you're information is wrong, I cannot agree" and try to avoid it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens

More
12 Jun 2021 17:31 #323939 by hotseatgames
Yeah, I flat out asked him where he was getting this Obama stuff. He had nothing.

More
12 Jun 2021 21:29 #323941 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
Hard to believe Obama is shadow president while also running a network of radical madrassas. He’s a master of time management skills.

On-topic: a week from today I leave for a family camping trip with my anti-vax mom and brothers. Going to try not to discuss it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, engineer Al

More
24 Jun 2021 23:43 - 25 Jun 2021 00:36 #324222 by Gary Sax
My state legislature just passed a budget bill not only outlawing requiring vaccines at universities, which we all expected, but preventing any university from doing mandatory covid tests or having any mandatory mask rules for unvaccinated. It is fucking terrifying if we get hit with delta hard, I have no idea how to handle this right now.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2021 00:36 by Gary Sax.

More
25 Jun 2021 00:33 #324223 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
It’s so sad that a public health crisis has been politicized and people are willingly self-selecting as viral incubators.

More
25 Jun 2021 10:42 #324226 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I recently read an article about the regional cultural differences in the US. One thing that struck me was that while both the Mid-West and New England highly value self-sufficiency, independence and personal freedom, in New England culture civic duty takes precedence over personal freedom. It seems like this cultural difference may be reflected in these regions policies and vaccination rates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, cdennett

More
28 Jun 2021 10:48 #324277 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Just this last weekend, I have noticed an increase in mask wearing, especially at the gym. I guess these would be people who take COVID-19 seriously but are afraid to get vaccinated. I understand that there are people who can't get vaccinated or won't necessarily get decent efficacy from a vaccine, but this seems like too many people to fall within just those two groups.

More
28 Jun 2021 11:15 - 28 Jun 2021 11:16 #324278 by Gary Sax
My wife's grandma is obsessed with the disease, terrified of it and follows health guidelines religiously, and also won't get vaccinated because of lunatic conspiracy theories. So these people do exist.

But beyond that, I think there's a lot of fear about the new delta variant so people following health advice are kind of starting to mask a little more even if they are vaccinated, so that's possible too.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 11:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Jun 2021 11:39 #324279 by hotseatgames
Ironically, if people would just get the fucking shot, the Delta variant would have no hosts. People are such selfish assholes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hatchling

More
28 Jun 2021 13:34 #324281 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
Not everyone is able to be vaccinated.

More
28 Jun 2021 13:45 #324283 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: Not everyone is able to be vaccinated.

Yeah, I get that. But that doesn't explain a sudden and recent increase in local mask wearing. It's not like a bunch of people suddenly lost the ability to get vaccinated.

More
28 Jun 2021 14:19 #324285 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
There was a report about a week and half ago that about a dozen of the Delta cases in England had received their second shot less than two weeks before getting the Delta virus. So, although they were technically not fully vaccinated, since they aren't considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after the second shot, it is still concerning to vaccinated people. There doesn't seem to be any cases yet of fully vaccinated people getting the Delta virus, but I don't think anyone wants to be that first statistic, so folks seem to be resuming mask wearing out of an abundance of caution, including myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
28 Jun 2021 14:31 #324286 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: Not everyone is able to be vaccinated.

I get this is true in some cases, but I suspect this represents less than 1% of the unvaccinated in this country. And those are possibly the majority of the unvaccinated that actually wear masks...

Regarding those that are immunocompromised, it's almost certainly worth it for them to get vaccinated even if the affect is greatly lessened. There's some new evidence that a third shot can actually significantly increase the amount of immune response, and a friend of mine who has such issues is trying to get into a study with Baylor Univ. right now for a third shot. I also know from him, as he's quite active with the Immune Deficiency Foundation, that based on the cause of your immunity problems that doctors suggest different vaccines that will hopefully provide the most benefit.

Still waiting to see if the new Delta+ causes a new surge here in the US, as I'm currently working in a small office (actually a townhouse) with up to 17 others (all vaccinated). May start masking up or working from home more if numbers start going up again. But I think the vaccine makes the risk manageable for the time being. Still probably as likely to die on my 20 mile commute to and from work as to Covid...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, mtagge

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds