October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
20 Mar 2020 10:50 #308368 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
If Denmark does a good job like South Korea, it won't be temporary. Given how smart the social insurance plan is from the Danish government, I'm guessing you'll do a pretty good job w/testing.

For us? I think the US is def in it till September. It's still hard to get a test and there's no coherent response.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2020 11:38 #308371 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Coronavirus
We haven't done that much testing. The message from the authorities was that we should consider all symptoms to be the virus and then they would focus on treatment of the severe cases. Recently they added intensive testing to that.

It seems like they are going for "flatten the curve", but the big question is when it is flat enough to resume normal life or something close to it. My totally uneducated guess it that they at some point will wager that we have had enough cases for it to not run wild once normal life resumes.

I think our government is handling things great and I believe we are doing the right thing. What is lacking, though, is some information on what the next step will be. What are we aiming for? What numbers are the powers that be looking at and why? And so on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
20 Mar 2020 12:29 #308373 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Weak leadership from the Trump Administration has left us like 50 small countries with different policies and weak borders with respect to this virus. I get that they didn't want to tank the economy, but the best way to do that would have been extensive testing and self-quarantine for the afflicted. Thanks to the slow and conflicted response so far, we are stuck with these widespread shutdowns that will result in extensive harm to the economy, at least in the short run. And we probably will end up with a nasty spike in a few weeks, because half the states still haven't taken any useful precautions. A shortage of ventilators will mean many unnecessary deaths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mrspank, lj1983, n815e

More
20 Mar 2020 13:23 #308375 by Gary Sax
Again, South Korean response is informative since it's a relatively transparent democracy. It's almost certainly too late for this in western europe and the us, fwiw, but it is the natural next step if the curve was flattened. Here's the south korean health minister

"However, that does not mean all other countries should follow suit. South Korea's mass-testing and early detection may have afforded it the luxury of being able to avoid declaring a total shutdown.

"Because Korea has the ability to sample and test faster than in other countries, there was no reason to do what other countries are doing [and lock down]," Roh said.

"The method of blocking off certain areas and stopping movement was what people did in the Middle Ages when they were dealing with the Black Death. It was because they didn't know what was causing infections at the time and they didn't know where the disease was spreading."

From here, which is a good story about the potentially problematic aspects of their response too:
www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/south-kor...200319011438619.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith

More
20 Mar 2020 16:17 - 20 Mar 2020 16:18 #308381 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
Well the UK Conservative govt with their latest daily announcement has just made every Labour supporter fall out of their chairs - they will be paying 80% of the wages of all staff that businesses would have to lay off otherwise.
I think everyone here, and elsewhere, who still thought it wasn't major can now see just how worried govts are that this could destroy western economies and they should pull their heads in and do what they are bloody told.

It's not a great thing to believe what gets posted online but if this post is remotely correct then you can understand why right wing govts are giving money away to the workers:
www.facebook.com/brettrvogel/posts/10218087242626155

Oh, and we're not allowed to go to the pub from tonight … bugger.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2020 16:18 by southernman.

More
20 Mar 2020 16:29 - 20 Mar 2020 16:30 #308382 by Gary Sax
I saw that! I personally think it is a good reaction but very surprising from the current government.

Current U.S. estimate from Goldman Sachs is a -24% GDP growth in Q1-2. I think that's giving way too precise an estimate but that sort of figure makes sense since everything's closed.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2020 16:30 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Mar 2020 16:40 - 20 Mar 2020 16:41 #308384 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: I saw that! I personally think it is a good reaction but very surprising from the current government.

Current U.S. estimate from Goldman Sachs is a -24% GDP growth in Q1-2. I think that's giving way too precise an estimate but that sort of figure makes sense since everything's closed.

As mentioned I think their actions show just how close we (western economies) are of being decimated/destroyed by our (correct) reaction to save lives from this virus. Better they give away billions now and still have a viable economy to earn it back next year, remember even though they are a right of centre govt they still agree with/support the free welfare and health system over here.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2020 16:41 by southernman.

More
20 Mar 2020 21:55 #308390 by mc

More
21 Mar 2020 11:35 - 21 Mar 2020 11:35 #308394 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I cannot legally get my hair cut in Minnesota anymore. The governor ordered all salons and barbershops closed on Tuesday.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 11:35 by Shellhead.

More
21 Mar 2020 13:26 #308397 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
I got a little Remington home grooming kit off Amazon about five years ago for $20. I used to spend $20/month on haircuts. So it’s one of the better returns on any purchase I’ve ever made.

That said, I’m looking forward to growing my apocalypse beard.

More
21 Mar 2020 14:04 #308398 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: I cannot legally get my hair cut in Minnesota anymore. The governor ordered all salons and barbershops closed on Tuesday.

I like how this post implies illicit back alley haircuts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Sacco, n815e

More
21 Mar 2020 16:25 #308399 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

hotseatgames wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I cannot legally get my hair cut in Minnesota anymore. The governor ordered all salons and barbershops closed on Tuesday.

I like how this post implies illicit back alley haircuts.

When haircuts are outlawed, only outlaws will get haircuts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., Rliyen, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, Sacco

More
21 Mar 2020 16:50 #308400 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
All of a sudden the short back and sides becomes de rigeur for any self respecting motorcycle gang.

More
21 Mar 2020 16:56 #308401 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Today was the day of hard decisions. I told our 3 house guests that they were welcome to stay as long as they wanted, but once they left they could not come back.

Our first house guest left today. She was originally just going to stop over on her way to NYC, but her parents finally told her not to come home. She decided to return to her apartment off campus at the University and tough it out on her own.

House guest number 2 is planning on leaving Monday. She also was stopping over on her way to NYC. Her family has a summer home outside the city and have decided to open it up early and all meet up there.

The final guest will be leaving Tuesday. She is from outside of Atlanta. Originally she was going to stay for two weeks while her sister was in self-quarantine after returning from study abroad in Greece. However, her parents decided that domestic air travel was becoming uncertain, so if she was going to leave she should do it now, as later she might not have that option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, lj1983, hotseatgames

More
21 Mar 2020 17:48 - 21 Mar 2020 17:58 #308403 by Gary Sax
^sounds like you did the right thing, those were some tough choices they were going to have to make anyway.

I'm not trying to bum out anyone's day, so apologies if this is too morose. I've kind of burned out my maximum perceived "darkness in the world" sensors that other people still have.

The journalist Adam Serwer had a twitter post that really resonated with me and I've been thinking about it all week.

My parents are in their 70s and live several states away. My dad had a bad pneumonia in his 40s that lightly damaged his respiratory system, had a mild stroke (I missed Trashfest for ha) and my mom has high blood pressure and recently got diagnosed with diabetes. My family doesn't do casket funerals anyway so that doesn't affect me too much in a "I WON'T SEE A BODY" way but I may never see them again in person and that's a pretty deep decision. I had no idea when they left at Thanksgiving. I mean, it was always possible but this is so real.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 17:58 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jexik, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds