October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
12 Oct 2021 14:24 #327133 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus

hotseatgames wrote: I haven't tested this theory yet, as I'm not 6 months out from my second Pfizer shot, but I've been told by a reputable source that you can probably just waltz into a drug store and get a booster whether you "qualify" or not.

I've read that too. Guy walked in, mildly overweight, fills out the form, and the nurse doesn't even look at it.

"Overweight" is a pretty easy category to get to. I'm 5'10" and haven't been under 170 pounds since I was 13. And that includes coming fresh out of Basic Training.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2021 11:42 #327146 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus
Our fire chief reported yesterday that in his weekly confab with state/county officials, they divulged that hospital beds (total, not just ICU) in the 7-county metro area are hitting 100% capacity by 10 AM daily right now. Emergency rooms resemble field hospital triage tents.

As someone on Twitter darkly noted, we finally made the NYT for something other than police killing black people: www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/world/minneso...ity-virus-surge.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
13 Oct 2021 12:23 #327147 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Coronavirus
Here in west Michigan, we are waiting to see if the Corona restrictions will bump my wife's post mastectomy implant surgery in November. She is not enthused at the prospect of spending more months with the spacers in. Fingers crossed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
28 Oct 2021 20:55 #327516 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
My mom has cancer, stage 4, and likely won’t be with us much longer. All the family have been calling trying to arrange to visit her. The rule is “No vax. No visit.”

Today I had to tell my cousin that she, her son and her father (my mother’s brother) could not visit my mother unless they were fully vaccinated, and that even if they got vaxxed today, it would be 6 weeks before they would be fully vaxxed, so Thanksgiving is an absolute no go.

Now bracing for the incoming family drama, which is not something we really want to be dealing with on top of everything else.

More
28 Oct 2021 21:27 #327517 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
Sorry.

More
28 Oct 2021 21:34 #327518 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
My sympathies ma’am. On top of all of it you’re the one stuck being the adult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
28 Oct 2021 22:02 #327521 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: My sympathies ma’am. On top of all of it you’re the one stuck being the adult.

Fortunately, I’m not adulting alone. I have plenty of back up with my brother, his family, Al and even Zoe. We’ve all been tag teaming it. If my uncle gets too querulous for me, he’ll get handed off to King Put.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
28 Oct 2021 22:33 #327522 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
That is a tough situation, sorry to hear about your mother's condition.

More
28 Oct 2021 22:55 #327523 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
Sorry to hear it Shellie.

More
29 Oct 2021 11:10 #327534 by ubarose
Sorry, didn’t mean to bring anyone down posting about my mom.

Really just trying to wrap my head around it all. Up until now I have only had to deal with anti-vaxxers in the abstract. Dealing with real people, that I know well, is a whole other mind fuck. They aren’t opposed for political reasons. Is it ignorance? Arrogance? Depravity?

Like, just accept that you can’t visit unless you are vaccinated and make your choice - get vaccinated and visit in 6 weeks, or don’t and FaceTime your good-byes. This is real life, not social media. It isn’t a debate that you can win with clever arguments and memes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, boothwah, Frohike, mc, Ah_Pook, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
29 Oct 2021 11:30 #327536 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: Sorry, didn’t mean to bring anyone down posting about my mom.

No. No apologies for things like that. This place and everyone attached to it are here for you, especially in the thread that you set up for venting about the world just like this.

As for your question... I don't know your family and I'm generally reluctant to assign motivations to people that I don't know. There is a consistent theme within American society that "no one is going to tell me what to do", even if it's for that person's own benefit. A lot of people absorb that, even subconsciously, and let it adjust their approach to life, regardless of consequences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Msample, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
29 Oct 2021 12:40 #327539 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

Jackwraith wrote: There is a consistent theme within American society that "no one is going to tell me what to do", even if it's for that person's own benefit. A lot of people absorb that, even subconsciously, and let it adjust their approach to life, regardless of consequences.

Malignant narcissism as a social organizing principle -- all rights ("what do people owe me") and no responsibilities ("what do I owe other people").

Mixed in with a strong sense, absorbed from popular media, that life needs to be exciting all the time, and if I ever feel bored, then that is an emergency and I need to create something exciting. Whether that's joining a movement, or declaring that you're part of an oppressed group, or deciding that you've uncovered the top secret conspiracy that all doctors are a part of.

(Speaking generally, not about ubarose's situation. But that's what I've observed.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
29 Oct 2021 13:06 #327542 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
No apologies necessary Shellie. Confronting your parents mortality can be a shock to the system for sure. Everyone deals with it differently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

More
29 Oct 2021 14:15 #327545 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Coronavirus
So sorry to hear about your mom, Shellie, and your family situation.

More
29 Oct 2021 14:26 #327547 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Coronavirus
Sorry to hear about what your family is going through.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds