October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
05 Nov 2021 14:22 - 06 Nov 2021 13:20 #327725 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
All of this is Kabuki theater. It's about taking a political stand. Just five years ago anti-vaxxers were the left-wing nutjobs. Republicans were passing laws to force them to vaccinate their kids. Suddenly that's all reversed -- it's a form of protest against our current government. All of the paper thin shields people are hiding behind are just technicalities they hope to exploit for argument's sake. This is GOP total war political strategy. If people are still getting sick at the midterms all the better.

I just got out of a business meeting where we were told that we needed to get vax docs in because we do government work. The president of the company indicated that to the best of her knowledge, every single employee in the company is vaccinated. Nobody twisted our arms one bit.

Most eligible workaday people are vaccinated, full stop.

The ones that aren't are hoping that the government will back off on their requirement because the employees are too important to lose. Well you know what? Everyone can be replaced. All of us are mission-critical until we're not. You can be replaced faster than the desk you're working at, even in the current job market. So good luck with your one-person strike. In the meantime, you can add this to the list of grievances you have about how badly the dominant caste in the country is treated. Your life really sucks, and it's all someone else's fault.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 13:20 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, mezike, cdennett, Virabhadra, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2021 14:42 #327727 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men." -- Charles de Gaulle
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
05 Nov 2021 16:03 #327732 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
Then you have Aaron Rodgers who basically lied about being vaccinated and is now playing the victim card.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/05...-and-cancel-culture/

Fuck him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB, n815e

More
05 Nov 2021 16:09 #327733 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: Then you have Aaron Rodgers who basically lied about being vaccinated and is now playing the victim card.

Fuck him.

He also misquoted Dr. Martin Luther King.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
05 Nov 2021 18:35 #327735 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Msample wrote: Then you have Aaron Rodgers who basically lied about being vaccinated and is now playing the victim card.

Fuck him.

Pro quarterbacks truly are oppressed in this country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Msample

More
07 Nov 2021 12:20 #327760 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Coronavirus
So my fifteen year old son just tested positive. We were talking recently about whether or not he should get the vaccine which is now being offered to his age group, but fate has decided for us. A couple of his friends have gone through this and have been ok and he only has cold symptoms at the moment so hoping to get through this cleanly.

We’ve all been sharing the same rotten cold for the past few days and fully vacced so hoping that is all it is; testing negative so far, let’s hope it stays that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Msample, Jackwraith, sornars, n815e

More
07 Nov 2021 12:35 #327762 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Good luck to you and your family!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
11 Nov 2021 03:21 #327863 by mezike
Just tested positive myself, I guess it was inevitable despite being double vacc'd. Feeling some rough 'flu symptoms, tiredness, aches, stuffy cough, headaches. My son is shrugging it off like a bad cold. At least the silver lining is that we get some game time together.

More
11 Nov 2021 08:45 - 11 Nov 2021 08:45 #327864 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
The other day I got my booster, as well as a flu shot. I was concerned that I would feel bad the next day, but I didn't feel bad at all. I felt great, in fact.

I stuck with Pfizer, but I'm told by a doctor-friend of mine that a lot of data suggests the Moderna booster is best, so perhaps you should consider mixing it up if you didn't get Moderna the first time. Note that I'm not a podcast host, so take this advice with a grain of salt.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 08:45 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, mezike, birdman37, sornars, n815e

More
11 Nov 2021 09:49 #327866 by Shellhead
Minnesota is in the midst of a surge in Covid cases, leaving just a dozen available ICU beds in the whole state. But too many Minnesotans are acting like the pandemic is already over. At the gym on Tuesday night, it was moderately busy but I only saw two other people wearing a mask. On the other hand, maybe 90% of the people at the local grocery store were wearing masks last night. Meanwhile, one of the Minnesota Vikings is in the hospital with Covid, despite being vaccinated:

www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/vaccina...9-issues-2021-11-10/
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
11 Nov 2021 10:03 #327868 by mezike
The earliest I’m eligible for a booster is in January, but I’ll be there on day one for sure as going through this shit is gnarly to say the least. My first two were AZ, I don’t think we get the option over here of which one we can have.

More
11 Nov 2021 14:44 - 11 Nov 2021 14:47 #327880 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Coronavirus

hotseatgames wrote: I stuck with Pfizer, but I'm told by a doctor-friend of mine that a lot of data suggests the Moderna booster is best, so perhaps you should consider mixing it up if you didn't get Moderna the first time.

I got my booster and flu shot the other day as well and did feel kind of shitty the next day, but some Advil was enough to get me through work.

My first two doses were Pfizer and I switched to Moderna for the booster, so maybe that’s why I felt it as much I did.
When they asked me which one I wanted, I asked them which one was “better” and she said she could not advise me on that, but in a roundabout way basically said Moderna, which I had heard previously.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 14:47 by Disgustipater.

More
11 Nov 2021 15:47 #327885 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

mezike wrote: The earliest I’m eligible for a booster is in January, but I’ll be there on day one for sure as going through this shit is gnarly to say the least. My first two were AZ, I don’t think we get the option over here of which one we can have.

Pretty sure ours is Pfizer, medicos been on news recently saying a different vaccine may actually add a bit more protection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, mezike

More
11 Nov 2021 18:05 - 19 Nov 2021 13:02 #327887 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Coronavirus
I have been bookmarking stories about the delta variant and covid here: www.supermutantvirus.com/

It's not monetized and I don't care about traffic. A big day for me is seven visits. Mostly it's an attempt to learn how to register a domain name and run a simple blog.

I did find this interesting:

People who were fully vaccinated against the coronavirus can spread the virus in their homes as much as those who were not vaccinated, according to a new study.

The chances of anyone spreading the coronavirus to unvaccinated people or others in the home is about 38%, per BBC News.
That number drops to 25% if the housemates are fully vaccinated.

I would have expected a lower infection rate among the vaccinated.

Now that my wife is vaccinated and has a booster she pretty much won't wear a mask, not taking into account how disruptive a quarantine would be for all of us. But she's so angry about anti-vaxxers that I can't talk about it. She wants them to pay for their ignorance, and for the most part they are. Three people in my neighborhood in their 50s who are anti-vaxxers have gotten sick and have long haul symptoms.

I left my knockoff N95 mask at a restaurant on campus and walked to my office surrounded by hundreds of unmasked students. I felt naked.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scienti...8smk?ocid=entnewsntp

I also like this article on the unvaccinated by Ed Yong, who is the bomb:

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/...ent-anti-vax/619523/

The language we use around unvaccinated people comes with a judgment—a condescension that “you’re unvaccinated and it’s your choice at this point.” That attitude is papering Twitter. It’s repeated by our top public-health officials. They’re railing on the unvaccinated as if they’re holding the rest of us back from normalcy. But unvaccinated people aren’t a random group of defectors who are trying to be deviant. They’re not all anti-vaxxers. They’re our kids! Any child under 12 is in that group.

Talking about the unvaccinated as individuals and not a monolithic mob of idiots also fills the vaccinated with rage.

Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 13:02 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Kmann

More
11 Nov 2021 18:52 #327888 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Ed Yong's work has been incredible during covid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds