October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
12 Nov 2021 09:54 #327898 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I haven't seen a headline to this effect, but a look at the reported data suggests that one in seven Covid victims end up with long Covid, lasting at least three months. And now there is a headline, specifically about kids who get Covid:

www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-phar...nfection-2021-09-01/
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2021 11:04 - 18 Nov 2021 11:07 #328072 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
"At the moment, 80% of people over the age of 12 in the United States have received at least one vaccine dose and 69% are fully vaccinated."

Vaccine uptake by those between 5 and 12 is cruising as well.

Long story short -- this isn't a 50-50 issue by any stretch of the imagination in the U.S. A huge majority of people (not eligible people, all people) in the country are vaccinated or in the process of getting vaccinated. Given that people 12-18 just started up this is a pretty big win.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2021 11:07 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
19 Nov 2021 13:00 - 19 Nov 2021 18:46 #328097 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I'm going to my sisters for Thanksgiving. We didn't do it last year and I know it means a lot to my sister to host it. My parents might come by for dessert. They never really stopped locking down. Everyone is vaccinated.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 18:46 by ChristopherMD. Reason: desert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
19 Nov 2021 13:09 #328098 by Shellhead
Despite Minnesota being the current virus hotspot in the U.S., I am still seeing a disappointing number of maskless people in indoor public places. I was recently puzzled by the extreme disparity between mask-wearing at the grocery store and at the gym, but I figured it out: fragile masculinity. A significant majority of grocery store shoppers are women, and they are more likely to wear masks. Now that my gym is not currently hosting aerobics classes, a large majority of the folks at the gym are men, and they are less likely to wear masks. This reflects gender differences in household responsibilities, exercise methods, and overall outlook about healthcare. Men are less likely to buy groceries if they have a wife to do the shopping. Men are more likely to lift weights and less likely to do aerobics. Men are less likely to see a doctor and more likely to take risks. Who knew that masculinity had so many restrictions and requirements?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
19 Nov 2021 13:13 #328099 by Shellhead
A more detailed analysis of gender differences with respect to this pandemic: fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-is-ther...9-vaccination-rates/

More
23 Nov 2021 11:44 #328182 by Shellhead
Our Governor approved booster shots for all adults less than two weeks ago, and slightly before the CDC did the same. But I am can't get a booster shot yet because the local pharmacies aren't ready. They don't have enough booster shots on hand and are saving what they have for the immuno-compromised. That's fair, but also frustrating. Oh well, at least I got my annual flu shot, so I don't have to worry about a double-whammy of flu and Covid-19.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
25 Nov 2021 20:21 #328243 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Coronavirus
Girlfriend and I got breakthrough Covid. Guessing from her work since she got it first. I haven’t even had a fever that a thermometer could detect yet, but I’ve got a cough and oddly some leg pain that I’m guessing was work related but showed up in my weakened state. I first started showing symptoms on Monday and tested positive today. Now, we wait.

Her parents dropped some turkey and stuff off for us at the door. That was nice of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e, Kmann, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
25 Nov 2021 21:08 #328245 by Sagrilarus
Leg pain — hips? Or lower?

More
25 Nov 2021 21:10 - 25 Nov 2021 21:11 #328246 by Jexik

Sagrilarus wrote: Leg pain — hips? Or lower?

Lower. Right above my left knee but on the back of the leg.

It hurts when I sit or lay down, but not if I stand or pace.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2021 21:11 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
25 Nov 2021 21:17 - 25 Nov 2021 21:18 #328248 by Sagrilarus
I’ve had hip pain since second vax, but I’m predisposed to it. But the timing was interesting and I have to actively manage it each day. It makes sleeping difficult.

I have pain low on my right lower calf but I think it’s related.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2021 21:18 by Sagrilarus.

More
25 Nov 2021 21:19 #328249 by Jexik
I work for the post office and lift a lot of stuff off the ground. After I hurt my back one day I switched to hurting my knees. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
25 Nov 2021 23:26 #328253 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Sorry to hear it, hope it passes quickly.

More
26 Nov 2021 11:10 #328257 by Sagrilarus
I’m due to get a Moderna booster tonight. I’ll be interested to see if it exacerbates my condition. Like you I had a prior issue, and either the pfizer second shot exacerbated it, or something else did. I’ve been moving rocks this past summer (don’t ask) so that may have been the real catalyst.

More
01 Dec 2021 16:17 #328414 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
My cabinet maker has COVID.

We started a kitchen renovation November 1. It was supposed to just be some new cabinets, countertops and a new range hood, and only take about 3 weeks. Due to the fact that my house is over 100 years old, and nothing ever goes to plan, it morphed into a remodel requiring two and a half walls be striped down to the studs, and chunks of floor be ripped up, leveled and re-tiled. This doubled the the time to a 6 week estimate. Now we get to tack on another 2 weeks for "COVID delays."

Yesterday my contractor took pity on us and installed a slop sink in our kitchen to use while the cabinet maker convalesces.

In other news, I was finally able to get an appointment for next Friday for my booster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames, n815e

More
01 Dec 2021 16:27 - 02 Dec 2021 08:10 #328415 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: My cabinet maker has COVID.

I have a similar "tangential to my life" covid story. A couple of months ago I was getting routine service done at my car dealership. I noted that no staff was wearing masks.

A month ago I scheduled a transmission fluid flush since I had ignored it when my car was really due for it. They pushed me all the way out to tomorrow because of scheduling issues and apparently only one person in the whole shop knows how to do this? Whatever.

Yesterday I got a call that they could not perform the maintenance due to 6 people being sent home with covid, and one of them is the transmission expert. I kept my appointment because I also need a turn signal replaced. I am very eager to see if their mask policy has changed...

UPDATE: The only person wearing a mask at my dealership is me.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 08:10 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.845 seconds