October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
21 Mar 2020 17:53 #308404 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Coronavirus
I guess in that small way I should feel lucky that I am in the middle of a divorce and lost my job around 3/08/2020.

Been holing up with my parents in their house, being their gopher for grocery runs, and playing a lot of Catan and Kingdomino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:00 - 21 Mar 2020 18:00 #308406 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Sorry about the job. That's fucking brutal, I feel for you and everyone out there. I wish our govt would just make the deal to keep people on payroll like a few european countries have done.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 18:00 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:03 #308407 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: Today was the day of hard decisions. I told our 3 house guests that they were welcome to stay as long as they wanted, but once they left they could not come back.

Our first house guest left today. She was originally just going to stop over on her way to NYC, but her parents finally told her not to come home. She decided to return to her apartment off campus at the University and tough it out on her own.

House guest number 2 is planning on leaving Monday. She also was stopping over on her way to NYC. Her family has a summer home outside the city and have decided to open it up early and all meet up there.

I’ve read areas like the Hamptons, Cape Cod etc are seeing a big uptick in second homeowners retreating there to ride things out, much to the consternation of the locals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
21 Mar 2020 18:56 #308411 by Msample
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, lj1983, n815e

More
21 Mar 2020 19:06 #308412 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Msample wrote:
I’ve read areas like the Hamptons, Cape Cod etc are seeing a big uptick in second homeowners retreating there to ride things out, much to the consternation of the locals.

Yes, they would only have food and stuff for the tiny population of year-rounders. I told my house guest to stock up here before she drove down, as likely the stores at her destination will be empty.

I felt like one of those awful people in a science fiction moving telling people that if they leave they will not be readmitted to the "dome" or whatever. I know I will have nightmares about them banging on my door trying to get back in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Mar 2020 19:42 #308413 by Gary Sax
Yeah, classic zombie stuff right

More
21 Mar 2020 20:19 #308414 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
My recent encounters with the college crowd have indicated a "no big deal" attitude. There still seems to be a substantial slice of the population not taking this very seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Mar 2020 20:27 - 21 Mar 2020 20:29 #308415 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
My employer seems to think things will be calmed down in a week. I hate to break it to them, but I think it will be worse in a week. I guess I can't fault them for optimism.

A tiny personal upside is that this isolation has allowed me to make great progress on an unannounced game I'm under contract for. I think it will surprise some people when it gets announced.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 20:29 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., Gary Sax, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
21 Mar 2020 20:52 #308416 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: My recent encounters with the college crowd have indicated a "no big deal" attitude. There still seems to be a substantial slice of the population not taking this very seriously.

There was a good deal of bravado for the first 2 days. They were mostly angry at being robbed of their last couple of months of their Senior year and of their graduation ceremony. Now reality is starting to settle in. They are worried about their parents and grandparents. They are worried about us. They are worried they have it and are silent carriers. They are starting to not sleep well at night. The one who is returning home by plane really wants to get back to her family, but is afraid of catching it on the plane and bringing it home to her family. They have been discussing everything that she is going to wipe down with clorox wipes on the plane. The Spawn has always had a pretty constant cough this time of year from allergies, but has been asking me about threes times a day if I think she might be warm and running a fever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
21 Mar 2020 22:37 #308419 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
It's going to get worse than Italy here in the coming weeks. Italy has more hospital beds per capita than us. but it wasn't enough when the cases spiked. Our president continues to dither over every important decision. For example, he could be using the powers of the Defense Production Act to command our factories to produce surgical masks, ventilators, cotton swabs, hand sanitizer, and more, but he hasn't yet. He also hasn't issued an executive order to get the rest of Americans to join 75 million of us already under restrictions to avoid further spreading of the disease. And he continues to delay lifting trade barriers against China that prevent us from importing medical supplies from them. So it's going to get a lot worse here, and stay bad longer than it will in other countries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Varys, n815e

More
21 Mar 2020 23:42 - 21 Mar 2020 23:43 #308422 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
I know I said it before, but just, good luck everyone.

Things are finally starting to move in australia in terms of moving towards more rigorous shut down. I think all those idiots going to the beach on Friday, coupled with the fact that a cruise ship docked in the centre of Sydney and LET ALL OF ITS PASSENGERS OFF TO JUST MAKE THEIR OWN WAY TO AIRPORTS ETC EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE CONFIRMED CASES ON BOARD has forced the government's hand, that their "please try and self isolate" message (with zero media messages) is not working.

I still have to go to work (high school) tomorrow, but I don't think we'll see out the week.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 23:43 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
22 Mar 2020 00:49 - 22 Mar 2020 00:50 #308423 by Gary Sax
Yes, things are definitely getting darker and darker. Some reports are coming in from staff at hospitals that are going the way of Italy in NYC and Lousiana. Horrible. My friends who work as doctors and nurses tell me they are down to one mask for an entire day, a completely unacceptable situation endangering everyone.

We're relying on a completely half ass US health system in the first place without the benefit of any federal coordination or preparation. My county in AZ is out of tests after like a week and a half of doing selective drive through testing unless the state or federal government gives us more.

We're never going to know how many were sick until the serology tests are available in a year. We will know how many are dead, I guess.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 00:50 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Mar 2020 01:10 #308425 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus
If you want to ruin your day, go here: covidactnow.org/

Personally living under the "Texas Social Distancing," I figured it would have a greater impact. But changing the infection rate from 2.4 to 1.7, while it sounds big, still is terrible. Only hope now is that summer and warmer weather has a strong impact on the virus to buy us more time.

Being a Type 1 diabetic, even if in generally good health, I'm genuinely frightened. And yeah, will I ever see my parents again, even though they are only about an hour away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
22 Mar 2020 11:33 #308434 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
That site gave me some hope, at least locally. We've already adopted shelter in place here in Missouri and I was surprised to see the estimated infection rate of only 1% given this action.

More
22 Mar 2020 11:48 #308435 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus

charlest wrote: That site gave me some hope, at least locally. We've already adopted shelter in place here in Missouri and I was surprised to see the estimated infection rate of only 1% given this action.

Yeah, but can you do it for 3 months? Do Americans have the fortitude? I give it 3-4 weeks before these restrictions are relaxed. I see too many people on social media already complaining about how many people die from this thing or the other, and why are we reacting so strongly to this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds