October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
19 Jan 2022 17:45 #329919 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus
Oh gawd, I had first run in with Federal District Court back in December, and being on call for 6 days (Monday to Monday) was soooo stressful and annoying. I didn't ultimately get called, but I think I would have preferred just coming in for a day rather then be strung along like that. It didn't help I was going out of town on the Wednesday after that second Monday, so if I ended up getting called that last day it could have really messed that up. So then as it was stretching on, I had to decide to roll the dice or "postpone" my service after having gotten most of the way through my window. Terrible experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2022 23:20 #329920 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote:
I'd like to know who else in the county is serving jury duty if I'm getting called once a year with about 200 other people. That means the pool is 10,000 people in a county with 450,000.

It means you live in a district with a high ratio of jury trials to viable jurors. Right off the top, in most states, anyone who has served on a trial within three years won’t be summoned. Then there are about 20 reasons a person can be excused from even showing up for that one day of jury selection - age, medical condition, caregiver, transportation, student living out of state, don’t speak English, moved out of district, dead … Add to that the no shows. We have one district here that has a high number of jury trials, but only 20% of the people summoned show up for jury selection, because they are either excused for one of the 20 reasons or just don’t show up. So we have to summon 5x the number of bodies needed to even start the selection process. So yeah, a lot of people in that district get summoned nearly every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
21 Jan 2022 09:55 #329955 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Mask usage is definitely up at the gym, with about 20% wearing masks. More people, too, so I suspect that the increased mask use was mainly due to cautious people who weren't coming to the gym at all lately. Now they are masked and at the gym because Valentine's Day is coming up and they are frantic to get back in shape.

More
21 Jan 2022 09:55 #329956 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus
The guy from MPR News who's been reliably churning out testing/cases/hospitalization graphs on Twitter all these months recently asked for and was given wastewater treatment plant data from the MetCouncil, so now we can track the amount of virus in the metro area's poop--like the Boston region and others have been using successfully for awhile now. This is a great leading indicator of what the trajectory of this thing will be, because the test processing backlogs are leading to long delays in when cases formally get added to the total (sometimes up to 2 weeks after the fact), making the datasets very messy and requiring a lot of cleanup to generate trendlines that are close to accurate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, n815e

More
21 Jan 2022 10:30 #329957 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

JoelCFC25 wrote: . . . because the test processing backlogs are leading to long delays in when cases formally get added to the total (sometimes up to 2 weeks after the fact), making the datasets very messy and requiring a lot of cleanup to generate trendlines that are close to accurate.

Please tell me you typed it this way on purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, n815e

More
21 Jan 2022 12:54 #329959 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: Now they are masked and at the gym because Valentine's Day is coming up and they are frantic to get back in shape.

"Hey, hon', you know what would be fun for Valentine's Day this year? Blindfolds."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
06 Feb 2022 13:12 #330496 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
An ongoing challenge during this pandemic is the human ability to disregard rationality in order to do whatever we want. I had hoped that gamers would be wiser on average, but that turns out not to be the case.

A few days ago, an old friend invited me on Facebook to play board games yesterday. I wasn't interested, because pandemic, but took a closer look at the details and became horrified. It was originally going to be a small gathering at someone's house, maybe a half dozen people. But my friend (who is not the host) decided to invite 25 more people, including me. Hard pass.

Since mid-December, an old friend has been back in town. One of his parents died and left a big mess, so he came back home to clean it up before selling the family house. So I have been playing board games with him every Saturday. Yesterday, I gradually noticed that he was pretty sick. Persistent cough, runny noise, sore throat, etc. I'm irritated that he came to my house sick during a pandemic, and he also didn't get tested because he thinks that it's just a cold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
19 Feb 2022 13:50 #330929 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
Got my free tax-paid Covid test kits in the mail.

More
19 Feb 2022 14:08 #330930 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Mine are supposed to show up today too.

More
19 Feb 2022 15:28 #330932 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus

ChristopherMD wrote: Got my free tax-paid Covid test kits in the mail.

To be fair, for people like Jeff Bezos they are free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Feb 2022 10:03 - 21 Feb 2022 10:04 #330957 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
My county dropped our mask mandate again. This time my job also made masks optional for vaccinated employees. First time since we reopened that that has been the case.

I work for a large national chain so presumably similar things are happening across the US.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2022 10:04 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
21 Feb 2022 10:30 #330958 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Hospitalization is way down in my county. Supposedly we are in a period of respite. I think I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

More
21 Feb 2022 10:55 #330959 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

Ah_Pook wrote: My county dropped our mask mandate again. This time my job also made masks optional for vaccinated employees. First time since we reopened that that has been the case.

Same here. My grocery store changed its sign from “masks required” to “masks encouraged for unvaccinated individuals.” I went shopping without a mask for the first time in over two years. Felt weird.

More
21 Feb 2022 11:25 #330961 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
Despite mask mandates being dropped here, I’m still wearing one and it looks like a good number of people are, too.

It’s partially to help protect myself and family, it’s partially a sense of social responsibility.

But this pandemic taught me a terrible lesson: the government, including health agencies, is very vulnerable to political, monetary and social pressure that puts at risk the public health.
It’s something I feel incredibly let down by.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Ah_Pook, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
21 Feb 2022 13:37 #330963 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
I'm still masking for sure. It's about half and half where I work atm. Our customer base is more like 80-20 non masks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds