October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
25 Apr 2022 17:25 #332549 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
2x plus the booster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2022 07:41 #332556 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
I guess a ton of people got covid at the Gathering of Friends gaming convention, in case anyone was wondering if going to maskless conventions was cool or not
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
26 Apr 2022 19:30 #332581 by Robert Facepalmer
Replied by Robert Facepalmer on topic Coronavirus
100% of the people that I personally know that went to Adepticon got it.

Can't wait for GenCon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
26 Apr 2022 22:36 #332586 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Wow, was that a Gathering of Friends With Benefits? Or was it just the stereotypical poor gaming convention hygiene that made it a super spreader event?

More
28 Apr 2022 12:32 #332632 by Shellhead
Counting a plumber and his apprentice, I have only had five visitors in my house since the start of 2022. Two visitors brought Covid, and one was just last weekend. Both of the Covid carriers were gamer friends who spent a whole afternoon sitting across the table from me. This pandemic is definitely not over yet. An old, close friend is in town for a month, and I agreed to let him stay at my house for a week, but now I am having second thoughts. He is fully vaccinated and boosted, but the booster is likely wearing off at this point, and he is an extrovert who is town to visit with a lot of people. He and I were both exposed to our Covid-bearing friend on Sunday. He is now staying in a hotel until Tuesday and will get tested before then. I don't plan to get tested unless I experience symptoms between now and early next week. 95% of new cases in Minnesota right now are Omicron BA.2, and the average onset of symptoms is three days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, n815e

More
28 Apr 2022 13:00 - 28 Apr 2022 13:01 #332633 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I haven't had any visitors in my apartment since 2020. Except for a cop that woke me up 2am after he came in the wrong place. I don't know if he had covid. I just meet people other places or their houses now. Very few friends holding game nights and they're not open to newbies anymore.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2022 13:01 by ChristopherMD.

More
28 Apr 2022 18:46 #332642 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus
Update from Southern China time! After my yellow code scare from two weeks ago things have been interesting. I think I tested seven times in the last two weeks. They closed down schools at first but the case load seemed to lighten over time so things started to get better. Since the final year exams in China determine if lower class kids are allowed to move up into the middle class the provincial government made a decision to allow 12th graders back to school first. Last Wednesday they allowed 6th grade and above to come back if the entire family tested. That left us with a different childcare problem as I have a 5th and 7th grader. Then this Monday the same deal for elementary schools. Finally a full week in the office.

Then yesterday came! I was tracking from early morning that the airport is closed (for accident of history reasons mail is in the IT portfolio) and our packages would be delayed. Apparently there are two cases at the local airport with 20 "close contacts". Then at lunchtime one of my local staff had to leave to pickup his kids. Apparently his school had one parent who worked at the airport. Then 2:15 came. Roughly half the Consulate turned yellow. Apparently one of the two airport workers decided to have romantic trysts at a hotel three blocks from the Consulate. Since we share a cell phone tower the entire Consulate now had a problem. I turned yellow despite only going between my house and work for the last two weeks (and likely will only do so for the last month of my tour of duty). The Consulate basically emptied as people had to leave to queue up to test at a local center. Having yellow codes they would have problems getting home as they cannot use busses or metro. The Consulate started running shuttles to take people to the testing center and most of the single people went. My wife and I couldn't really do so as it would create another child care issue, who knows when the testing would be done (sorry kids, figure out dinner for yourself and put yourself to bed, maybe see you tomorrow morning!). Reports from the single Americans make the test worthless as after ID codes were scanned the locals stopped all semblance of proper queueing.

Some of us started to get harassing phone calls from the local CDC. One of my US staff has decided to not test again and let his kids do the online schooling for the remainder of the tour, he leaves in a month. By the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations they cannot test us after arrival against our will and cannot deny us entry to our residences once we have our diplomatic cards. After a bit of a conversation they realized he was a diplomat and didn't have to test. He would still have to test to depart in four weeks, and wouldn't be able to go to a store or restaurant, but most of us have stopped doing that for quite a while. I have six missed calls that I won't ever answer.

Then last minute the CDC agreed to setup a testing site outside the Consulate. They do that so our guard staff can test as they cannot leave their posts for the time required to queue at a public site. I ended up going to that and it was almost impossible for me to get the required code and this testing provider uses a different identity recognition app that I haven't used before. One of the locals had to help me fill out the form. Most people who were left ended up testing at the Consulate which followed proper queueing and wasn't a long line, including my guy who wasn't going to test.

The thing that pisses me off about the constant testing is that it squeezes the enjoyable parts of my day out. I still have to do all the annoying stuff (plus extra showers due to the tropical climate after standing outside for 2-4 hours), but when surprises like this happen it's the stuff that makes life bearable that is pushed off. We ended up losing an hour of free time to the surprise test. Since my son turned 13 in early April I started taking him to the gym and teaching him to lift. It's probably the best part of my weekday block. Weekends it's from 2-5 when we play boardgames as a family (currently redoing a LotR Journies in Middle Earth campaign at my youngest's request). It's the stuff that makes the struggle of being here bearable that loses out. So, no gym yesterday and my muscles are really sore (two weeks off from lifting, two days on which isn't a full routine, then a sudden stop) and yesterday was a bust.

One more month to bear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
08 May 2022 11:40 - 08 May 2022 11:46 #332903 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
The guy that runs the game group I go to cancelled this last week because he had covid, then messaged me yesterday (a day after we were talking and he said he was feeling better but still bad and sick) asking if I was up for games that afternoon. I feel like the entire world had just really said fuck or at this point. A ton of people I know have gotten covid over the past couple weeks. Almost as if saying fuck masks wasn't the best move.

Edit: with the way literally everything else in the world is playing out these days I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the death cult assholes wore everyone down in the end. Sorry I'm feeling pretty fucking frustrated these days and it might be leaking out here.
Last edit: 08 May 2022 11:46 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, WadeMonnig, n815e, Kmann, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
08 May 2022 13:20 #332908 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
My daughter is recovering from COVID. She tested positive on Wednesday morning. Had 3 bad days, but was able to eat and get out of bed last night.

Sorting out the ever changing rules for returning to work at our various work places was an added stress.

Daughter’s work - Return to work 5 days after onset of symptoms with negative test and no symptoms. No mask required.

My work - Must wear mask in office for 10 days after close contact. (I took Wednesday off to take care of her, although it turns out I could have worked with a negative test. My regular schedule is remote work on Thursday & Friday anyway. My boss was glad of that as it it gave him some time to sort out exactly what the requirements were with HR, and he didn’t have to have a possible carrier in the office for those three days.)

Al’s work - No restrictions with negative test. They have tests on hand at his work, so he was able to test as soon as I called him with bad news on Wednesday. They also gave him some test kits to take home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jackwraith, n815e

More
08 May 2022 14:56 #332914 by Shellhead
Went on a first date yesterday. Woman looked just as good as her pictures, and there was a strong resemblance to Helen Hunt. As she walked up to me and I reached out to shake her hand, she advised me that she had recently been exposed to Covid at work. Last Monday, her boss took her to lunch. He came down sick and tested positive for Covid the next day. So we skipped the handshake and took a walk around a local lake on a warm, windy, beautiful spring day.

The conversation was going great so we took a second lap around the lake. It was probably safe. I mean, we didn't maintain much distance, but we were mostly facing the same direction and walking side-by-side. After three miles of walking I set her free to go shopping for a Mother's Day present, but we plan to get together again soon. I still mask up when shopping or at the gym, but I was willing to take this particular risk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Msample, Jackwraith, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
08 May 2022 17:24 - 08 May 2022 17:24 #332917 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
I still wear a mask everywhere indoors that isn’t home.

I don’t care what anyone else thinks.

I’m really tired of all the bullshit. All of it.
Last edit: 08 May 2022 17:24 by n815e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Frohike, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
09 May 2022 20:20 #332933 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Iron Man is dating Helen Hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Nodens

More
09 May 2022 21:11 #332936 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: Iron Man is dating Helen Hunt.

Don't jinx me. It was a great first date, but I tried and failed to reach her today to schedule a second date. We have each other's phone numbers and I gave her my email, but she hasn't emailed me back so I can get her email address. She told me that we should abandon the dating app and just talk to each other by phone or email, but I see that she has put up two new pictures on her profile since last week and logged in just yesterday. So she is still looking and possibly on a date right now.

Online dating offers a huge potential selection, but the game gets old after a while, especially if you aren't especially attractive. I saw a surprising stat recently from a study about online dating. I assumed that men are more visually oriented than women, but 2/3 of women report getting at least an okay amount of interest from online suitors. Meanwhile, just 15% of the men are getting a large majority of the messages from women.

Turning back to the main topic, Covid cases have been rising locally in the last month or so, and the Twin Cities is now considerated to be a moderate risk area. Not as bad as in the northeastern part of the U.S., but worse than most of the U.S. right now. Might be good time to dial back on the dating again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
09 May 2022 22:15 - 09 May 2022 22:17 #332939 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Women have some additional criteria like “will he kill me” that us men don’t worry about so much.

I’ve been working away from the house for a change of scenery. But with the rate ramping up in the mid-Atlantic I’ve set my car up for full power so I don’t have to work at restaurants anymore.
Last edit: 09 May 2022 22:17 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
09 May 2022 22:23 #332941 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
It's not just the threatening ones. My girlfriend and her friends (all roughly middle-aged, like we are) have told me any number of completely flabbergasting stories about the behavior of men on dating apps. So many that it astounds me that almost any men manage to land a date, outside of the apps that are mostly used by people just trying to get laid for a night. You know all that behavior that you think hiding behind a screen enables for people? Well, even when there are pictures and real names in play, that kind of behavior still happens. I suspect that a lot of women end up defaulting to the few really attractive guys (the 15% that Shellhead mentions) because the vast majority of others than they connect with on those apps are fucking idiots, so they might as well aim high, as it were.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Frohike, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds