October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
04 Jun 2022 22:11 #333459 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
About 5% of the people at the gym today were wearing masks, including me. About 10% at the grocery store. The pandemic is definitely not over yet, but most Americans are over it.

Meanwhile,

www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/05/28...-memorial-day-surge/
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2022 22:56 #333505 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
My Dad tested positive and is now quarantined and stuck on a boat headed to Iceland.

He was on on a cruise to The Netherlands, and had to take a test before disembarking in Amsterdam to fly home. The cruise line’s policy is that anyone testing positive can quarantine on board for free until testing negative. They moved him to a single cabin, and he is now taking a surprise trip to Iceland alone. My step-mom, who tested negative is flying home tomorrow. If he doesn’t test negative by the time they get to Iceland, it’s on to Ireland after that.

He says he feels fine and has no symptoms. We are hoping it stays that way.

So, yeah, this has been a crazy day of emails, texts and phone calls starting at 6:30 this morning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Msample, hotseatgames, n815e

More
07 Jun 2022 08:32 #333507 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Coronavirus
That sucks, Uba. My wife and I went to Vegas over Memorial Day for the AEW shows. Got COVID somewhere along the way so now I'm home basically unable to sleep much because of the damn cough. This is our second bout. The first was January 2020 before vaccines. I will say the vaccines help A LOT because while I'm coughing, I'm otherwise pretty much fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse, hotseatgames

More
07 Jun 2022 10:21 #333510 by Shellhead
Our CEO came down sick with Covid about ten days ago. He worked from home and got over it, then came into the office yesterday for a half day, wearing a mask. It was his last day in town before going to our Pennsylvania location for a couple of weeks, so he felt it was necessary to come in.

About a week ago, my leg muscles became sore and tight, and stayed that way for about a week. I work out regularly at the gym and have been doing a lot of extra squatting while doing seasonal chores, like painting and pulling weeds. Then I spend long hours sitting at work at a computer. So I figured that it was just that plus general aging. But now I wonder if I had a mostly asymptomatic case of Covid. Legs are almost completely normal today, and I otherwise feel fine.

More
07 Jun 2022 12:07 - 07 Jun 2022 12:07 #333515 by ubarose
@stormseeker

Thanks for the reassuring words. So nice to see you around here again. It’s been too long.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 12:07 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, stormseeker75

More
07 Jun 2022 13:09 #333520 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Coronavirus
@ubarose

Thank you, friend! Nice to be back. I've been lurking for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

More
10 Jun 2022 14:22 #333591 by ubarose
This has been a crazy, frustrating week just trying to obtain basic information from my 82 year old aspie step-mother. Like, I asked about my dad’s plane ticket (ie refundable vs changeable), and received a two page essay about the Atlanta airport vs the Amsterdam airport vs JFK. If you are close with someone on the autism spectrum, you know what I am taking about.

I haven’t been able to get significantly more coherent information from my 86 year old Dad. He has responded to my questions with pictures of the ocean, and comments about Ready Player One, which he has been listening to having discovered that someone (probably a grandchild) had put an audio book copy of on his phone. We did have a nice text conversation about his memories of the 80’s, however none of my more pressing questions were answered.

So, after spending a ridiculously long time on hold with the cruise company and the insurance company and several emails with my parent’s travel agent, I think we are finally making some progress on getting my dad “repatriated” (which I have learned is the correct term for “get my dad the hell back home”)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
10 Jun 2022 14:54 #333592 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
My late brother was pretty far along the spectrum and age 60 was very hard to deal with; I can only imagine dealing with somebody at age 86 with those issues. Good luck,
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Jun 2022 15:07 #333593 by Shellhead
One of my local gaming groups has a facebook page. Somebody recently started a thread about the low turn-out in May and June, and speculated that it was just a scheduling problem that might be solved by picking a different night to meet. Sorry, I'm not hanging out in a small, busy game shop with a bunch of non-masked people right now. In maybe a month, I might be willing to host them for a session.

On the other hand, I am going to a birthday party tomorrow that will have at least 40 people present. But it's going to be a backyard barbecue situation, and they have a big backyard. But I will probably bail in the early evening, as the mosquitos drive folks indoors. It's a ranch style house with a fully-finished walkout basement to the backyard, but will be crowded with 40 people inside.

More
10 Jun 2022 15:27 #333594 by ubarose
@Msample
Thank you. It is so hard to find people who understand the challenges of seniors with ASD. We can’t even get home care for my step-mom who is in a wheelchair, because she has been essentially blacklisted from all the agencies due to her behavior, which people just don’t understand. My Dad is her only care person now, and he usually takes care of these details. His being ill with COVID and clearly pretty “out of it” has really made us aware of how much he “covers” for her. It’s very worrying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, Frohike

More
10 Jun 2022 15:32 #333595 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: @Msample
Thank you. It is so hard to find people who understand the challenges of seniors with ASD. We can’t even get home care for my step-mom who is in a wheelchair, because she has been essentially blacklisted from all the agencies due to her behavior, which people just don’t understand. My Dad is her only care person now, and he usually takes care of these details. His being ill with COVID and clearly pretty “out of it” has really made us aware of how much he “covers” for her. It’s very worrying.

Wow. My brother had a home nurse towards the end and she was great; but his behaviour was more odd/not communicating than it was hostile/difficult so I guess your case sounds worse.

More
10 Jun 2022 16:15 - 10 Jun 2022 16:25 #333596 by ubarose
Her aspergers is subtle, so she seems like a self-absorbed, super difficult, bossy, shrew who never shuts up, and yells at people for small transgressions, like not bringing her a drink fast enough or tidying up “wrong” ( she doesn’t like her stuff moved).

Most personal home carers who are fine with dealing with dementia and wiping old folks butts, seem to draw the line at 2 hour rambling monologues about trees and shrubs, and getting yelled at like they killed a puppy for putting a book away on the bookshelf.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2022 16:25 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, BillyBobThwarton

More
13 Jun 2022 11:17 #333647 by Shellhead
For only the second time since 2019, I went to a party, which was an outdoor backyard cookout. The married couple hosting is a punk husband and a goth wife, so it was punk music by day and goth music after dark. The other guests were mostly punks and goths, so I wore my House of Voodoo t-shirt and some purple Raad high-top sneakers with roses and skulls. Even though there were only a dozen people at first, and we were all outside, it took some beer and at least a half-hour before I could relax and stop worrying about the pandemic.

Eventually, there were two dozen people, plus a few kids playing inside. The wind kept blowing smoke from the grill in my direction, no matter where I sat or stood, but I am rarely fazed by smoke. Half the people present were smoking or vaping, so hopefully all that smoke helped block virus transmission. I was there for five hours. Recent waste water testing indicates that virus transmission is declining again in our metro area.

A couple of people at the party were talking about a concert that they attended at the beginning of June. Apparently half the people that went to that show subsequently came down with Covid. For the last decade, I have been hoping to see the Skints in concert, and they are finally doing a show in Minneapolis next week, but I have decided against going. I didn't have tickets or anybody to take anyway, so hopefully the Skints come back next year.

More
14 Jun 2022 19:54 #333711 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I took some time away from the internet after a recent event. I wrote poetry and it was a pleasant distraction so I recommend the disconnect.

Company meeting today; they want everyone to come in Mon-Thu for a picked week each month minimum. I was kind of expecting this as cities being empty is bad for the economy so they no doubt get political pressure to cut WorkFromHome. But then my boss' boss' boss' boss held his own meeting afterwards and said he refuses to enforce it at all because it's stupid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, mezike, n815e

More
15 Jun 2022 16:43 #333735 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus
I run a property management business. 2 years ago, while trying to navigate my states rules for business reopening and essential services, we closed the front doors, put up an appointment only sign, moved a bunch of furniture and made a study/daycare room for my daughter in the back, and then continued on with life as normal, mostly - We already did 90% of what we do via phone/fax/email/internet. I still had to meet in person to sign leases and for showings and onboarding.

And here's what I lost, 2 hours of walk ins that consisted of :

Locals that wanted to tell me that they absolutely did not meet my screening qualifications, but felt that their story was compelling enough that if they told me personally I would ignore their recent eviction or their frequent visits to court.

Solicitors - There's like 6 or 7 semi-retired "publishers" that have moved up here - each trying vainly to find some other old suckers still sitting behind desks that might throw some money at Old Media bullcrap. There's a dozen worthless "magazines" and circulars that sit in hotel lobby bins, mostly, and at the counters of the restaurants dumb enough to purchase ads. Don't get me started on the phone directories. Restoration companies. Title companies. Contractors. Every kid that decides that his trailer and a lawn mower is his ticket to financial freedom. (although, I will admit I miss the last one....we are in a labor desert atm)

Tourists : "oh my gosh and jeez what a lovely town you have here. Herb and I think it's the bee's knees. We're thinking of renting a place next summer..."

At this point, I can not foresee a change in circumstances that would elicit me to change our current practices - I have had the most profitable 2 years the business has ever had - I'm a compassionate guy and will never cut someone off, even if they obviously disqualify themselves in the first 30 seconds of the conversation. The sales guys, I give them 3 minutes and a cup of coffee to take with them...I used to do outside sales, so I just ask them to cut to to chase, ask them for the 30 second elevator pitch on how they are going to make me money or save me money and if I'm interested they can send me something to read. I replaced that 2 hours of all that bullcrap with working more directly with some of my realtors on lead generation, having time to do more planning, development - and put together some more effective advertising tools. I spend two hours a day working on growing my business. (or posting nonsense here) And it grew. Whodathunkit?

I've been working through a ton of survivor's guilt the last year....Knowing that we did as well/better than we have done previously, while going through the pandemic when our friends and neighbors have not had the same experience. We have closed restaurants and shops in town........it's a labor desert, and a child care desert, and there is no workforce housing. And it's probably going to get worse. But probably not for me and my little pod of people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Msample, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, cdennett, mtagge, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds