October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
27 Mar 2020 09:29 #308633 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
I'm seeing articles where people with second homes in places like the Hamptons (NY) and Scotland (London, other places south of Scotland) are grabbing the family and running to their vacation houses. Which has the small hospitals out there completely terrified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2020 10:26 #308635 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus

RobertB wrote: I'm seeing articles where people with second homes in places like the Hamptons (NY) and Scotland (London, other places south of Scotland) are grabbing the family and running to their vacation houses. Which has the small hospitals out there completely terrified.

And pissing off the people who live in those places year round by not using common sense, cleaning out local groceries, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 10:56 #308636 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
Traveling to these places even knowing they have covid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample

More
27 Mar 2020 11:19 - 27 Mar 2020 11:25 #308638 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
So it's pretty clear my state is following the Trump "numbers" playbook. The state health dept has instructed private health groups and primary care physicians in private networks (who are doing almost all the testing) not to bother testing. The state health dept has like I think 400 tests?

Obviously, part of it is pandemic conditions, no need to bother we basically know everyone has it but there's also a strong incentive to show up "green" on whatever bullshit map Trump is putting up next week or whatever.

www.12news.com/article/news/health/coron...8d-9b86-db932432c80d

Arizona has almost 7.5 million people in it. The U.S. is doing it. We're going to see the no effort herd immunity, run out of ventilators strategy.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 11:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 12:07 #308640 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
I am mad. And full of grief.

I love you all.

I keep writing evidence-filled pieces with links and figures and deleting them. I'm not doing anything you can't get everywhere right now. I wasn't doing it before anybody and I am certainly not doing it better.

I am convinced that someone I know directly is going to die from this virus, its complications, or the shattered medical system produced in its wake, and I am reduced to praying that it's not someone in this house. None of us are sick, but rates are climbing, supplies are dwindling, and the inevitability of this weighs on me. There are so many people that are ignorant, and not just in that they don't know, ignorant in that they insist on NOT knowing. They actively resist doing the right thing because... I don't really know the because. It's a cult mindset. Jim Jones put poison in the Kool-Aid and they stood in line and drank it. I don't like using this metaphor because it was a horrible act and shouldn't be minimized to sports fandom or whatever, but this is life and death and it's happening. People that COULD HAVE and COULD STILL act to prevent deaths are failing to do so, and I don't know WHY except as some slavish devotion to a "leader" that is staggeringly bad at his job.

You need to stay at home. Wash your hands. Do what you can to slow this virus, because if you can read this, you can understand how serious it really is. It's not brave to go to Ft Lauderdale, get drunk, and infect your family back in Grand Rapids. It's manslaughter.

More
27 Mar 2020 12:09 #308641 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: Traveling to these places even knowing they have covid.

One woman w/ the virus traveling from NYC to the Hamptons called ahead to the local hospital.

nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-...warfare-in-hamptons/

They told her to STFH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 12:20 - 27 Mar 2020 12:22 #308642 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus

jeb wrote: I am mad. And full of grief.

I love you all.

Pretty good summation of my mental state. I'm at home, basically just trying to ignore the news and bury myself in Animal Crossing and board games. I'm more or less constantly on the edge of a panic attack. My 70yo mom is in the hospital currently recovering from surgery and I'm sick with worry. Can't visit her.

I'mm just venting now. It's a bad scene. Stay safe everyone.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 12:22 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax

More
27 Mar 2020 12:39 - 27 Mar 2020 12:39 #308643 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Could not retrieve bearer token (consumer)

If you want some science on this, Jeb, from my professional twitter feed. Preregistered and everything so not a data exploration of a survey.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 12:39 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
27 Mar 2020 12:48 #308644 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Wow. One of our biggest customers (a nationwide chain of pet stores) has just announced that they will not pay any of their bills for 120 days. They are worried that people have been stockpiling pet food lately (true) and won't buy as much later.

More
27 Mar 2020 12:57 #308645 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: Wow. One of our biggest customers (a nationwide chain of pet stores) has just announced that they will not pay any of their bills for 120 days. They are worried that people have been stockpiling pet food lately (true) and won't buy as much later.

That's fucking bullshit. I'm sorry to hear that.

More
27 Mar 2020 13:33 #308646 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus

Msample wrote:

n815e wrote: Traveling to these places even knowing they have covid.

One woman w/ the virus traveling from NYC to the Hamptons called ahead to the local hospital.

nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-...warfare-in-hamptons/

They told her to STFH.

Southhampton was already housing students that had it or traveled recently. They don’t need entitled rich people taking more space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
27 Mar 2020 14:17 #308647 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

Jackwraith wrote:

southernman wrote: I think that's a bit unfair - we have just had the UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer saying basically that today and let's remember how slow WHO was at declaring this a pandemic and asking countries to shut borders and stuff, hell WHO didn't even do that. The only country that reacted like this could be the end of the world was China when they locked up Wuhan, and all the western media could do was to highlight how brutal they were being about it.
Hindsight eh ?

No. It's not really unfair in the US. CDC had been planning for situations like this for years, especially after SARS and H1N1 emerged earlier in the century. They had a complete playbook assembled (i.e. detailed prep procedures.) They had a special response team for just this type of situation. They had a transition team assembled for the new administration. But just like with every other agency, said new administration both completely fumbled the ball (Michael Lewis goes into morbid detail about this in his book, The Fifth Risk) and allowed all of those resources/people to be abandoned. Why is South Korea in such good shape? Because they had a plan and followed it (i.e. testing and more testing, discover clusters, isolate them.)

I can't speak for what the UK's response may have been like (although the idiocy of Johnson's plan of "herd mentality" in the face of something with this high a mortality rate is, uh, short-sighted, to say the least) but the US had a plan. It just wasn't followed and everyone who knew how to run it was cut from the CDC's budget by this administration.

If you want a similar example of Trump's moronic thought process, witness the governor of Mississippi overruling local lockdowns because he continues to insist that everything can just keep proceeding normally. As one of the largest recipients of federal aid among the states, doubtlessly they'll come begging for more when the situation inevitably blows up there.

Well I can't comment on US and Trump responses as I don't see enough of it here but he did ban flights from China before any other country started to think about blocking borders, I'll let you all argue in hindsight about your govt's responses.
But the UK govt has been led by a top group of medical advisors who have been getting data and modelling from a large university hospital, Boris Johnston is just doing what he is being recommended - whether we agree with what the medical officers have done or not (I personally think we starting isolating a week or so too late) we have no fucking clue about viruses and the data they have, and I assume that you have few clues either.

There is a lot of bloody stupid stuff being written on the internet and this site is no exception.

More
27 Mar 2020 14:27 #308648 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
That artcle MSample put up there was one of the ones I read the other day. Real Masque of the Red Death vibe going on there.

More
27 Mar 2020 17:45 #308650 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus
Saw a note from GeekWay (which I'm on the mailing list for but not attending) which pointed to this: news.tabletop.events/post/61359480773926...5e&mc_eid=dd18f0f39f

This is the first time I've actually seen anyone in this position post realistically that there likely not be *any* conventions until a vaccine is available, which is likely 12-18 months away. As such they are closing down indefinitely, which is a very realistic and real outcome of all this.

As I see friends on social media wondering if GenCon is going to happen (which there's really no way in hell it will happen at this point), this is the first public acknowledgement that we're not going to have any large gatherings probably through 2021, something that should be apparent to more people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 17:54 #308651 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
That's likely because Jay Moore, one of the owners of Geekway, is a physician.

I don't see any large gatherings happening until a vaccine is available. We'll likely bounce in and out of lockdown to try and ride the lowered curve, but no way they relax restrictions on large gatherings.

This means we likely won't see an MLB season. It also means we won't see an NHL or NBA or NFL season either. Funny how people in the NHL community are talking about an abbreviated playoff structure in the summer to finish the current season. I think people still aren't fully grappling with how this will play out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds