October 09, 2023
2483 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2685 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
13 Mar 2020 07:20 #307984 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus
Well, this thing is out now permanently. It will flare back up again yearly. Social distancing is a decent stalling tactic and does work to limit the pneumonia deaths by lowering the number of ventilators needed at any given time (at great individual and social economic cost). However it doesn't solve the core problems at all. The US needs public healthcare. The US needs a balance between oligarch profits and quality of life for the 80%. We need to have a public discussion about how much treasure to spend on 70+ year olds while denying a fraction of that effort for children and young adults. But I guess not now, we have decided that the choices are four more years of Trump or status quo Joe.

I also take umbrage and someone saying that there was a case of a healthy person dying at ~40. Then they use the example of a doctor in China working 16 hour days for weeks on end, experiencing extreme mental stress fighting the CCP brainwashing, surrounded by death. Uhh, maybe he had complicating factors?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, Frohike, the_jake_1973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2020 11:35 #308003 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
What I find very distressing at the moment is the recovery time. No one is talking about this.

On the CNN Town Hall last night they had a Princess cruise passenger come on remotely and he's still testing positive and in quarantine after nearly 30 days.

We only have 31 confirmed cases in the U.S. where the person has returned successfully from infection.

How can a country deal with a significant portion of its population isolated? How can we deal with this cost economically and socially? Is there hope?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Frohike, mtagge, Varys

More
13 Mar 2020 11:49 #308005 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
That's a good point. Most info mentions the transmissible time as considerably less than that, so the spread might be contained, but people impaired by the illness might have a much longer wait. I guess the question will be if the contagious period really is that short.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Mar 2020 14:09 #308013 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Coronavirus
One of my friends told me about this girl he works with...she had all the COVID-19 symptoms. She went to the doctor and they’d only test for flu, which was negative. She continued to work. She went to an Atlanta United game that set an attendance record. All while taking DayQuil.

The boss at this office just got back from Italy. He’s been coming to work feeling unwell.

This person almost definitely had it and they’ve spread it to who knows how many people. The reality is that there are likely thousands and thousands of cases in the US -right now- that aren’t reported simply because they aren’t tested. Because that’s what Trump wants- low numbers and good optics. So they can say “oh hey, only 1000 cases!, it’s contained! AMERICA HAS DEFEATED THE FOREIGN VIRUS!”.

But those unreported cases are going to mount real fucking quick.

This is bad, ya’ll. I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but there’s going to be a lot of unnecessary sickness and some preventable deaths among our most vulnerable citizens. All because of this man’s vanity and this country’s commitment to capitalism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, allismom3, hotseatgames, Frohike, Pugnax555, Varys, n815e

More
13 Mar 2020 14:25 #308016 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
I hope people remember his deeds come November.

More
13 Mar 2020 14:27 #308017 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
Iran has already dug mass graves for their coronavirus deaths. That's gonna be hard to hide when its the US's turn.

More
13 Mar 2020 15:18 #308022 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
Here is a sobering image:

It’s like exponential growth is predictable. Or something. Too bad reality doesn’t care about machismo, bravado, and anyone’s desire for good optics and a surging S&P500.

We’ve had one confirmed case in my county. The board of education just announced that they are not closing schools, but don’t worry, they are keeping a close eye on it.

This is borderline insane to me. There is no testing. And at least four of my family and friends think it’s all media hype.

Well, I have a 71yo mom, a 96yo grandmother, and a good friend with an immunocompromised 11yo. I get that exponential curves are unintuitive to mammalian brains, but if I lose any of them I will have a hard time keeping any of the ignoramuses in my life.

I was trying to avoid politics but since (a) Barnes blew up the dam a couple times already and (b) it’s kind of unavoidable when talking about a widespread social catastrophe, I’ll recommend the following to anyone wanting to know why relying on the US government to do anything is a forlorn hope:

www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/0...-coronavirus/607342/

In short, you can’t bully a virus, you can’t spin deaths as a hoax (although he will try). No human institution is perfect but maybe don’t put a fucking TV host in charge of anything important.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, JoelCFC25, Jackwraith, Nodens, Pugnax555, Varys, n815e

More
13 Mar 2020 15:19 - 13 Mar 2020 16:12 #308024 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Coronavirus
Edit-
Last edit: 13 Mar 2020 16:12 by jay718. Reason: Moment of clarity

More
13 Mar 2020 15:50 #308027 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Dysjunct, that is a powerful graphic, though two days old. As of today, the U.S. is at 2,030 cases, so still tracking right in line with where Italy was at a comparable stage. And Italy is now at nearly 18,000 cases. However, at some point the U.S. is going to blow past Italy exponentially, because Italy has a population of 60 million people, while the U.S. has a population of 330 million people. Also, Italy has more hospital beds per capita than the U.S., because our profit-based healthcare system doesn't see a profit in excess hospital beds.

More
13 Mar 2020 16:00 #308028 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Coronavirus
Danish borders will close tomorrow so things just got very real. But officials are not testing a lot of persons. Instead we are told to consider ourselves infected if we have symptoms and then they'll concentrate on the cases that require medical attention. Our prime minister is handling things really well and I'm not all that worried - Denmark is probably in the top three or at least top five countries to be in when shit like this happens. But it also helps that children aren't affected that hard by the virus. Knowing they are safe makes it much, much easier to stay calm.

What I am worried about, though, is the rampant racisms against Chinese people were seeing/going to see. And the economy, obviously. I'm working in learning games, so while I sometimes make stuff that has an imporant function, it's hardly essential. And my other gigs - writing books, comedy and hobby board games - will most likely also take a hit during a recession. But that is for the future. Right now it's a matter for managing at least 2-4 weeks of home schooling and working at home at the same time.

More
13 Mar 2020 16:10 #308030 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
Just delivered a lecture on the concept of social distancing to a local FB game group that was "proudly announcing that we aren't canceling anything and, in fact, have a special game day set up tonight" at a local brewery. Fully expecting to get bounced from said group and not really concerned (other than that this is the kind of behavior that dysjunct's graphic is spotlighting.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
13 Mar 2020 17:16 #308032 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Coronavirus
Here in British Columbia Canada, the provincial government put the kibosh on gatherings larger than 250 people a few days ago. Today the theatre company I'm currently doing a show for cancelled the remainder of our performances. The theatre holds just under 100 people. I am absolutely gutted but understand. Being able to get free testing I think has helped to track numbers and sources of infection.

More
13 Mar 2020 20:52 #308036 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I changed my next planned game day into a tabletop simulator day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
14 Mar 2020 07:12 #308043 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus

mads b. wrote: What I am worried about, though, is the rampant racisms against Chinese people were seeing/going to see.

It's going both ways. The CCP just promoted an anti-American up the ranks in the foreign ministry who is messaging that the virus was brought to China by the US military. It's almost like Trump and Xi are working from the same playbook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 Mar 2020 11:05 #308047 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Our union is discussing getting us voluntary furlough time. Not ideal as it isn't paid time-off, but it does allow people who can afford it some flexibility regarding taking care of their children with all the schools being closed. Many people don't have enough time accrued to take off, and we are not allowed to take more than 3 unpaid days per month, and most department heads won't even approve that.

We are also waiting for clarification of whether self-quarantine due to suspected exposure, without symptoms or testing, can be taken as sick time.

I've been told that at this time there is very little hope of the rule forbidding work from home being relaxed. This is the stupidest rule of all, and is archaic - from a time when we didn't have the technology we have now. Our union was trying to finagle it for IT as we have a clause that says we can work remotely in an emergency. But I have told that has been dropped in favor of trying to get furlough for all union employees.

I also, want to be clear that the complexity of our attendance rules are not due to our union. These rules were in place before we went union. Now we have a union negotiating on our behalf for some common sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, Frohike, charlest, WadeMonnig, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds